Home

Anyone using and enjoying the stock sliders?

This is a discussion on Anyone using and enjoying the stock sliders? within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Anyone using and enjoying the stock sliders?

I tried all sort of sliders but I keep going back to the stock sliders (All Star, Hardcore). I think EA have done a reasonably good job with the stock sliders this year and the game feels frenetic and pacey just like a hockey game should do.

My experience with tweaking the sliders is that every change brings advantages and disadvantages.

Most of the changes I made were from the mindset of making the game looser and choppier, aiming for more stray pucks, unpredictable bounces, etc. Whilst I have achieved this, I find that the skating fluidity is sacrificed and everything looks and feels very jerky.

I am an advocate for the visual side of the game as much as the functional side. In other words, the action needs to look nice, capturing the momentum, fluidity and explosiveness of hockey. I can't find any slider set (apart from the stock set) which gives that representation and feel.

Anyone else enjoying the stock sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Anyone using and enjoying the stock sliders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
I tried all sort of sliders but I keep going back to the stock sliders (All Star, Hardcore). I think EA have done a reasonably good job with the stock sliders this year and the game feels frenetic and pacey just like a hockey game should do.

My experience with tweaking the sliders is that every change brings advantages and disadvantages.

Most of the changes I made were from the mindset of making the game looser and choppier, aiming for more stray pucks, unpredictable bounces, etc. Whilst I have achieved this, I find that the skating fluidity is sacrificed and everything looks and feels very jerky.

I am an advocate for the visual side of the game as much as the functional side. In other words, the action needs to look nice, capturing the momentum, fluidity and explosiveness of hockey. I can't find any slider set (apart from the stock set) which gives that representation and feel.

Anyone else enjoying the stock sliders?
I've only tweaked one or two sliders from default AS/Hardcore and would agree - it's VERY WELL DONE this year.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

I agree. I only make minor tweaks, mostly to rules and AI sliders and game speed (turning down 1 notch seems to make the players less twitchy but not slow them down). I avoid messing too much with attribute sliders because you fall into a trap of constantly tweaking one thing or another and start over analyzing every little statistical anomaly.

It seems most people try to make the game "sloppier", but I don't understand that and it feels slightly artificial. NHL players are ridiculous with their skill and precision, and do snipe like crazy in real life. They can even redirect a 95mph slap shot perfectly.

Anyway....
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

As much as I like that thought its just not possible for me especially related to drawing penalties as that needs to be maxed and cpu aggression and goalies but I would like to know what you changed as I think your on to something as its similar to MLBTS vague sliders and I think the more we change the more we effect what has been programmed into the game .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-17-2014 at 07:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »