Home

Need More Penalties - Which Sliders Will Help?

This is a discussion on Need More Penalties - Which Sliders Will Help? within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Pro

northmen24's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Need More Penalties - Which Sliders Will Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
I saw in the slider links you shared that you have resorted to default Superstar/Hardcore after this week's patch. You still seeing enough penalties?
That was before the patch. Haven't had a chance to play today
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I've found a slider set that works perfectly for my style of play… except I need more penalties.

I'm averaging 0 to 2 penalties per side, and would like to bump that up to 3 to 5 penalties per side.

I've maxed the Penalties slider, as well as the CPU Penalties and CPU Teammate Penalties. Everything else is pretty close to default Hardcore.

Has anyone found a way to increase penalties through other slider(s)? Maybe increase Aggression? Or maybe decrease Acceleration so that players aren't spaced as far apart? I know I'm grasping at straws, so hopefully someone else has figured this issue out.

I'm playing 8min periods, so maybe that's my biggest problem. But any help would be very much appreciated.
Theres plenty of penalties in the game even on 8 minute periods so alot of it is how you play and not gutting sliders because many sliders dont work like we think they do .

Right before this last patch I was getting 6 to 7 PP a game but losing 3-0 , 3-1 all the time so I figure Ill drop cpu goalie reaction from 4 to 3 and the next three games were shootouts 7-6 , 5-4 and 4-3 but my PP went down to 1 or 2 a game ? know why because the cpu D couldnt be so aggressive anymore because I made their goalie weaker , pretty weird but cool a slider works that way .

I join this thread on page 4 or 5 ? and proved how I drew penalties by boxscores and screen shots on 8 minute periods after many naysayers demanded it and sliders so I did and nobody could deny my results so the thread died but hopefully it helps .

On Pro at least in Playoff mode penalties are hard to get in 8 to 10 minute periods do to the programming and I draw many penalties turning quickly when the cpu D attacks me .

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...penalties.html

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 10-22-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

Happy to report that I'm averaging 4 to 5 PPs on both sides through the first 4 games of my BeaGM. I bumped up to 10min periods.

I simply started with All-Star/Hardcore and cranked up all the penalty sliders.

I was playing on Pro since I hadn't played an NHL game in several years, but decided to commit to All-Star. Steep learning curve, but I think I'm back in the swing of things.

Winning on All-Start (at least for me) requires that I really cycle the puck around and look for quality shots, which seems to generate a lot more penalties. I also found the CPUs ability to control the puck on their attack increases penalties too.

It's nice to go to the team stats and see that I'm right in the middle of the league in PPs and TSH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Pro

northmen24's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Happy to report that I'm averaging 4 to 5 PPs on both sides through the first 4 games of my BeaGM. I bumped up to 10min periods.

I was playing on Pro since I hadn't played an NHL game in several years, but decided to commit to All-Star. Steep learning curve, but I think I'm back in the swing of things.

Winning on All-Start (at least for me) requires that I really cycle the puck around and look for quality shots, which seems to generate a lot more penalties. I also found the CPUs ability to control the puck on their attack increases penalties too.

It's nice to go to the team stats and see that I'm right in the middle of the league in PPs and TSH
Just default all star with penalties up? Or did you use a specific slider set?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Theres plenty of penalties in the game even on 8 minute periods so alot of it is how you play and not gutting sliders because many sliders dont work like we think they do .

Right before this last patch I was getting 6 to 7 PP a game but losing 3-0 , 3-1 all the time so I figure Ill drop cpu goalie reaction from 4 to 3 and the next three games were shootouts 7-6 , 5-4 and 4-3 but my PP went down to 1 or 2 a game ? know why because the cpu D couldnt be so aggressive anymore because I made their goalie weaker , pretty weird but cool a slider works that way .

I join this thread on page 4 or 5 ? and proved how I drew penalties by boxscores and screen shots on 8 minute periods after many naysayers demanded it and sliders so I did and nobody could deny my results so the thread died but hopefully it helps .

On Pro at least in Playoff mode penalties are hard to get in 8 to 10 minute periods do to the programming and I draw many penalties turning quickly when the cpu D attacks me .

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...penalties.html
Most people play near default without gutting the sliders. Penalties are not tied into goalie reaction in any way. What you described happens with zero slider adjustments. The game is programmed weirdly, at least before the latest patch. Random berserk/arcade/robo modes...I would have a nice stretch of 4 PP's, then go 10 games with a total of 2 and convinced they're broken.

Just yesterday I had 7 PP's without changing a thing. I already know I will now get 1 total over the next 4 games, lol.

I think people are too quick to just advertise their sliders and post links. Someone asked a question about penalties and likes a discussion about them. Just posting a link and saying "I get this many penalties with these sliders" doesn't really accomplish anything. Like yea, what camera angle you use or what you have pass assist on matters to someone if they're asking about penalties.

The game is a little finicky with the sliders, compared to other games. You see a bunch of weird little random things happen from game to game without changing a thing. Penalties is one of the known issues in the series..using blanket statements like "know how to play" or "don't listen to that guy" does not help anything.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

Yeah Pro just doesnt have enough penalties programmed into it and in my experience I find playing closest to Allstar default the way Ea NHL programmed it and probably tested it on gives me the best overall experience game in and out .

The mistake most make are over tweaking the game by trying to paint the perfect NHL picture just like lowering cpu shot accuracy to 1 or 0 and then complain about shot totals I mean that 1/3 of thats sliders scale ?

And that can skew the game instead of just letting what EA NHL programmed unfold so Im happy you kept a level head and found a fix and yeah the game isnt perfect but many of the issues some have are self inflicted as they really dont understand what most sliders do kinda like when I lowered CPU goalie reaction only 1 click down to 3 and scores and PP changed drastically.

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 10-23-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #15
Pro

HokieB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmen24
Just default all star with penalties up? Or did you use a specific slider set?
Yup. All-Star/Hardcore and then crank up all the Penalty sliders.

For my last game I ended up increasing my passing assist, pass receiving, and decreasing the CPUs poke check effectiveness, but these were just subtle tweaks to make the game more enjoyable for me (which is really the point of sliders). I still had 3 PPs and the CPU had 5, so I think you can make small adjustments.

Maybe it's a fluke, but five straight games of 6 to 10 total PPs is pretty nice!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Yeah Pro just doesnt have enough penalties programmed into it and in my experience I find playing closest to Allstar default the way Ea NHL programmed it and probably tested it on gives me the best overall experience game in and out .

The mistake most make are over tweaking the game by trying to paint the perfect NHL picture just like lowering cpu shot accuracy to 1 or 0 and then complain about shot totals I mean that 1/3 of thats sliders scale ?

And that can skew the game instead of just letting what EA NHL programmed unfold so Im happy you kept a level head and found a fix and yeah the game isnt perfect but many of the issues some have are self inflicted as they really dont understand what most sliders do kinda like when I lowered CPU goalie reaction only 1 click down to 3 and scores and PP changed drastically.
the most common mistake people make is not understand how sliders work or attribute normal variance as a direct result of a slider change, incorrectly

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »