Home

Mike Lowe NHL '18 Sliders

This is a discussion on Mike Lowe NHL '18 Sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #25
Pro

mikeymayhem's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Mike Lowe NHL '18 Sliders

I'm also really impressed with the feel of this. I've only managed to play 3 games with your sliders but overall its pretty strong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #26
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymayhem
I'm also really impressed with the feel of this. I've only managed to play 3 games with your sliders but overall its pretty strong.
Glad to hear, Mikey. The game is playing really well, and I honestly didn't have to mess with much. Definitely keeping a close eye on things, but loving NHL '18 so far. While it's not perfect--and no game ever will be--I am enjoying franchise mode a lot!

Now my personal challenge, I really enjoy playing every single game, but I keep having the temptation to sim the majority of the regular season to move things along. I'm stuck right in the middle, but keep playing them all so far.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

I made an Imgur album of stats from my most recent game.

I think penalties are maybe a little high :P There were I think 5 majors as well.

Definitely one of the most fun games I've played though. Came back from 4-1 in the third to win it 6-4!

Shots were a little high (usually it's ~30 each) but I kicked it into high gear for the 3rd (as seen by 25 shots!). Also I was on the Powerplay for like half the third too, so that plays a factor as well.

This was also the most penalties I've seen in a game, so maybe it's an outlier atm, tho off the top of my head, average is around 6-7 total/game.

https://imgur.com/a/F9fL8
Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #28
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinocio

I think penalties are maybe a little high There were I think 5 majors as well.

Definitely one of the most fun games I've played though. Came back from 4-1 in the third to win it 6-4!

Shots were a little high (usually it's ~30 each) but I kicked it into high gear for the 3rd (as seen by 25 shots!). Also I was on the Powerplay for like half the third too, so that plays a factor as well.

This was also the most penalties I've seen in a game, so maybe it's an outlier atm, tho off the top of my head, average is around 6-7 total/game.

I'll take a look tomorrow, but simmed games average about 3.3-3.5 penalties per team per game, so you're right there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #29
Rookie

livinitup921's Arena

OVR: 4

Just played my first game with these. Now I haven't played a hockey game in prob over 5 years so the game is hard for me. I was my expansion team vs Winnipeg. It was 6-6 after regulation and I lost in the shootout. I was down 4-1 at beginning of 3rd period and I scores 3 goals in a minute and 9 seconds. So in the last period 7 goals was scored. I find the computer puck handling is a lot better than humans. My guys lose pucks all the time while the computer never loses possession even after a successful poke check. It can be frustrating. I played 10 minute periods. I'll have to play more to see if the scoring stays too high.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #30
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup921
Just played my first game with these. Now I haven't played a hockey game in prob over 5 years so the game is hard for me. I was my expansion team vs Winnipeg. It was 6-6 after regulation and I lost in the shootout. I was down 4-1 at beginning of 3rd period and I scores 3 goals in a minute and 9 seconds. So in the last period 7 goals was scored. I find the computer puck handling is a lot better than humans. My guys lose pucks all the time while the computer never loses possession even after a successful poke check. It can be frustrating. I played 10 minute periods. I'll have to play more to see if the scoring stays too high.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
One of the things I'm trying to limit in this set, and it's very hard, are the number of actually 'recorded' takeaways and giveaways. It seems even intercepted passes are deemed as giveaways, so I'm still looking for that balance.

It seems players in simmed games will get 1-2 of each of these per game, but not every single player in every single game, of course. I'm getting decent results on my takeaways now in played games, which is why they may seem limited to you, and my giveaways, well I try and be too damn pretty with the puck (spoiled Red Wings fan of the late 90's) so I'm still working to curb those somewhat, but overall dumping the puck in, and taking less "perfect" shots has helped tremendously.

And 10 minute periods are going to really throw a lot of stats out of wack. If anything, 7 minutes would be the direction I'd go if you're not happy with 8. With 8, you'll have the occasional game that will have the correct number of faceoffs--about 70--but those games are rare, and it's the only stat I can't get to match because we'd have to increase period length, and that would mess up shots, giveaways, takeaways, and way too much else.

I use 8 minute periods, and feel it is best as aside from the stats above, it'll also give you accurate PP and PK percentages.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #31
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinocio

I think penalties are maybe a little high :P There were I think 5 majors as well.

These look good man, and yeah penalties were high that one game, but if you had fights, well there you go.

How are team stats looking? Have you compared them to other teams who've played the same amount of games for both team stats and player stats? That's where I'm seeing this set really start to shine, and I'm excited because I couldn't get that in the past two NHL's.

You'll limit shots too by blocking the correct number of shots, which is another stat I recommend tracking against simmed games. I play a collapsing style, and we block a lot of shots. We play similar to that 1996 Florida Panthers team where we just play sound defense, have solid goaltending, and try and win games scrapping some goals together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #32
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Yes 8 min periods feels good stats wise. I am no Hockey expert, casual at best. I started a franchise with Tampa, where are they ranking in NHL team wise, top, middle, or bottom?opened up season against Florida, and they beat me late 4-3, sound about right? Game was fun, was mad I gave up late goal, defense is difficult at times. Do wish maybe more errant passing by cpu, they seem to pretty good as passing compared to me, like 80% to 60%.

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Twitch: Hunkerdownuga

Madden 17 - Falcons Offline CFM/ Jags Online CFM

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »