Home

Thoughts on Difficulty: Is Pro the new All Star this year, and All Star the new SS???

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Difficulty: Is Pro the new All Star this year, and All Star the new SS??? within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Thoughts on Difficulty: Is Pro the new All Star this year, and All Star the new SS???

After becoming completely sick and tired of the CPU whipping the puck around the d zone in almost hilarious fashion; one touching passes back and forth across the ice at breakneck speed regardless of any slider adjustments I made, I decided to try the game on Pro level.

Suspecting that the game was probably still pretty competitive with the improved AI, but also less juiced without the hyper passing, i quickly noticed I was probably onto something. Unfortunately, it was past 2 a.m. so I couldnt go deeper, but I saw enough positive to have a high suspicion that the sweetspot this year actually exists on Pro and not All Star as in previous seasons. I was only able to play most of a Play Now game against the Pens and was trailing 4-3 and being slightly outshot with about 10 min left in the 3rd period before deciding Id seen enough and needed to get to bed. This was on default Pro Full Sim.

Additionally, another reason Im interested is that this was WITHOUT any difficulty slider increase, meaning there are 6 increments still left to toggle with although I personally didnt see any reason to do so yet.

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to play a game or two with your current sliders on PRO and see if you feel the same?

I had to lay down my ego to do this, but I think it may have been worth it. For the first time since getting the game I didnt feel like I was struggling to keep my head above water or like my team didnt belong on the same ice as the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Thoughts on Difficulty: Is Pro the new All Star this year, and All Star the new S

I agree. The thing that seems to have evened out the game on all star was decreasing the cpu's acceleration and skating speed from 50 to 40.

Game has played much differently on all star for me with those two adjustments.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Pro

mikeymayhem's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Thoughts on Difficulty: Is Pro the new All Star this year, and All Star the new S

I'll give this a go later on
Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Just decrease the CPU speed or human also?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

I'll try that on all star as well but I do feel Pro is the more balanced difficulty so far from what I've played. I did max out the cpu difficulty slider to 6 & nothing has become ridiculous. When I would play all star the way it played looked & felt silly. The cpu is basically boosted all over the place & you're constantly chasing. Can't get much sustained pressure like the cpu does & their passing is so unfair the way it happens. I do think Pro with slider tweaks depending on your preference is the way to go. I'm not interested in difficulty levels that feel like it's a boss battle to me that's not fun or realistic for a sports game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Ok, boys...had just a moment to do some testing. Totally dumbed down the CPU on ALL STAR and upped all their penalty sliders through the roof. Guess what their passing percentage was through 15 of the 1st period...

40.4%

So...looks like ALL STAR will work, we just need to think a little outside the box and find that spot that allows for a fair competition but isnt too easy. I have to go to work but will resume hashing this out tonight. The main thing I dumbed down was their speed and acceleration to 37 each opposed to my 50 respectively.

Cant remember much else. Gotta run.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Also had 2 PPs in the first 10 minutes of the first...that would never have happened before.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

All Star works for me, but with one major change - User/CPU strategy adjustment to 1 or 0. Preferably 1 because I know the CPU will at least pull its goalie when necessary - no idea if it will do that on 0.

Why? Because the game goes nuts when that strategy adjustment changes to Full Attack. We've all seen it - I don't even need to explain it. And it will do this the moment it falls behind by two goals with that setting at 2 or higher, or if it trails late. Let me just say, that if teams could flip a switch like that in real life, the Blues would have probably won a cup by now (I'm a Blues fan too OBG, so don't hate me for saying that ). It's unnatural and causes a lot of the comeback and late-game frustration, at least for me. And it really works the same way for the user team as well, only most players aren't going to have the hyper-awareness that the attacking CPU team has to be able to pinball the puck around. But even when I'm trailing that adjustment seems to help the other players on my team unnaturally, getting them in better scoring positions and such.

It just doesn't work if you're attempting to simulate realism. It's a feature that's probably better for a game with shorter periods, such that the AI doesn't have time to whip the puck around in the attack zone for minutes at a time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »