Home

Sim injuries vs played games injuries and settings...

This is a discussion on Sim injuries vs played games injuries and settings... within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Sim injuries vs played games injuries and settings...

I rarely see one in games played and far too many on default setting (50) for simmed games.

Doing some testing but I do not watch enough hockey to know...how many injuries say, on a per week basis are there league wide? Is default setting actually realistic amount of injuries? I find it highly unlikely but I don't know.

I tested simulating two weeks with injury slider at 25 and have 14 injuries league wide, so seven per week. Seems very high still. I did test slider at zero and had no injuries after two weeks of simming.

I'm thinking 15-20 injury slider for simulated games. For played games I'd say depending on how many minutes you play it certainly needs raised from 50. For me and my 6min periods I'm thinking slider at 75 to start testing. I'd like to see at least one injury every 4-5 games played. Is that realistic for hockey?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #2
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sim injuries vs played games injuries and settings...

I think you will find the injuries in simmed games is reasonably accurate, Ice Hockey is a very physical sport and injuries from very minor to major happen frequently, it's not outside the realm of possibility that a team in a bad break will get injuries every 3-4 games, now times that by 31 and you have a lot of hurt going on.

Honestly I am not sure sliders are even taken into account during simulated games, I asked this question in another thread some time back but there was no answer.

I play my Injury slider on 62-65 and generally get injuries every 3-4 games, every now and then it's more frequent and sometimes even less, but I found it is a good mix as I like the challenge of having to fix lines due to an injury and what it can do to a teams ability to win, bringing players up and sending them back down etc.

I've tested the Injury slider on 75 sometime back on NHL17 and the injuries were nearly every game, too high IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I did test slider at zero and had no injuries after two weeks of simming.
It has been conventional wisdom for many years that 'Sliders' only affect the actual games you play. They purportedly have no effect on "simming" or "league wide" results.

It could be that what you're observing (re: "I did test slider at zero and had no injuries after two weeks of simming")...was just a coincidence. Perhaps no injuries would have occurred in those two weeks...even if you had maxed out the Sliders.

If you repeat the test with the slider set at zero for another few weeks, I'm sure you'd see a random batch of injuries appear.

If you accept conventional wisdom, then you can see why this issue is a little complicated. Different people have different rates of "games played" during a season (Some play every game, others play one a week, while most play at completely random times). So the AI has to factor in the simulated injuries...and then decide how the games played aspect affects the realism of the total injured players count.

I'm speaking here of the default AI. Using the default injury slider value, I typically see one or two "played game" injuries a month...when playing between 1 to 2 games per week. Most of the time, I have one to four players injured across both my AHL & NHL roster. There are randomly short or long timespans with no injuries at all.

I think this is pretty realistic. But I suppose it's a matter of perspective.

If you're a Leafs fan, it is realistic based on what we've seen of them in real life. Auston Matthews played injury free the entirety of last season, and counts as one of their rare injuries this season.

But if you're a Ducks or Blues fan, you might expect your roster to exist in a state of constant decimation...based on how injuries have plagued them this season.

Last edited by jaibubwan; 12-19-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

So I kept simming games with injury slider at zero all the way to December 1st on the calendar and guess what...

Not a SINGLE player on the injury report in both NHL or AHL. So yes, the sliders do in fact effect simulated games. Test it for yourself.

From my short testing it feels like 20 for simmed games and 75 for games played depending on how many minutes the person plays. If 6min gets 75 then maybe 70 for 8-9min periods.

Anyways, what I'm saying is true. MLB the show is like this and I just had two slider settings I load interchangeably.

EDIT...

Turned injury slider to 25 for cpu and user. Simmed ONE day. Team I chose, Colorado has T. Jost injured now pending evaluation.

Ottawa has A. Burrows injured pending evaluation as well.

So eight games played that calendar day and two injuries...seems fair.

Sim day two, Dec 2nd...12 games played this night so 24 teams.

Ducks now have A. Henrique pending eval
Penguins have J. Guentzel injured pending eval.
St. Louis have J. Edmundson injured pending eval.

So in two days the leagues went from an entire two months, not a single injury. Now since raising slider to 25 there are now five injuries across the league in 20 games simulated. To me that just feels too high yet, but I could be wrong. I'll continue testing this though.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 12-19-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Okay so maybe default 50 is fine for simulated games then. Like I said, I don't know what is a realistic amount of injuries to have per week or so in the NHL.

But for played games, certainly needs to be raised for me with short 6min periods. Currently playing at 75 and liking it...may need to lower a few notches.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 AM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBattleCat
I think you will find the injuries in simmed games is reasonably accurate, Ice Hockey is a very physical sport and injuries from very minor to major happen frequently, it's not outside the realm of possibility that a team in a bad break will get injuries every 3-4 games, now times that by 31 and you have a lot of hurt going on.

Honestly I am not sure sliders are even taken into account during simulated games, I asked this question in another thread some time back but there was no answer.

I play my Injury slider on 62-65 and generally get injuries every 3-4 games, every now and then it's more frequent and sometimes even less, but I found it is a good mix as I like the challenge of having to fix lines due to an injury and what it can do to a teams ability to win, bringing players up and sending them back down etc.

I've tested the Injury slider on 75 sometime back on NHL17 and the injuries were nearly every game, too high IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like 75 will be too high then. I'll try 65 for now then. How many minutes do you play though??

Old 12-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like 75 will be too high then. I'll try 65 for now then. How many minutes do you play though??

I play 5 minute periods

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »