Home

Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19

This is a discussion on Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19 within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #17
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymayhem
Hey man I loved your sliders last year! I’m trying these out on true broadcast! I’ve recently had the itch for that style. I’ll probably begin on pro.

What are your rules looking like?
Rule-wise, I tend to keep it at the "Full Sim" suggested rules. Maybe the exception is 10 minute periods. But I no longer believe game length is an important factor in sliders - so set that to whatever you like.

PRO STAR gives you options for both "Pro" & "All Star" difficulty flavors. You can alternate between them. That's what I'm doing this year.

This year, I actively tried to "tame" the "All Star" difficulty as much as possible. And with PRO STAR's new puck looseness & passing innovation, you'll find the CPU won't be as suffocating.

It's like playing two different games.

In "Pro" difficulty, you'll have fun playing offense. You can cycle & get nice tips, mess up but still battle to recover possession. The weakness of "Pro" is that even with the AI maxed out the CPU isn't offensively innovative - so that mode doesn't grow with you as you get better.

In "All Star" difficulty, you'll have fun playing defense. Because PRO STAR has these new innovations in passing & checking, you can disrupt the CPU's innovative offense & go on the counter-attack. The problem with "All Star" is that the CPU's defense is "hard-coded" to be very "high pressure" - so you'll have to think quick & utilize rushes to get your goals.

By alternating between these two difficulties, you can have a fun challenge over the course of your Franchise Mode or Playoffs.

Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19 (Updated March 16, 2019)

Jai's PRO PLUS Sliders for NHL 18

Last edited by jaibubwan; 02-08-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 AM   #18
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMoondog
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear about that issue when I mentioned it. Previously, I was using tuner 1.01 just because of the slashing bug present in 1.03.
Jonny, did you notice the slashing problem in both tuners? Or just one of them?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 AM   #19
Rookie

Hi. Thank you. These work perfect for me. I tried to make my own sliders with game speed at zero, because i think that it the most realistic. You did great job and good finding in passing at zero, it added more animations for me that never seen before. About penalties i guess you can test CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties at 25 and slashing between 0 to 10. There should be good balance with these.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibubwan
Jonny, did you notice the slashing problem in both tuners? Or just one of them?
To my knowledge the slashing bug is only in tuner 1.03 but with the most recent changes made to 1.03, plus your sliders, I'll gladly give up slashing calls. There is enough other calls (and some calls that I haven't seen in quite awhile) to make up for that one call. In fact, this has me thinking, that originally, you had aggression at 100 for All-Star and then changed it to 50. I don't know for sure and I will test this out, but I think that when aggression was at 100 was when I was getting 5 min penalties and game misconducts. I think it was game 3 (out of 5 so far) that I changed it back to 50 on your recommendation and I haven't seen any of those penalties since then. On the other hand, you wouldn't want those type of penalties called every game. I think I might increase aggression by 5 every game or 2, to see what happens. If you don't mind me asking, what did you find with aggression at 100 for all-star? What was the main reason to change it back to 50?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #21
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMoondog
If you don't mind me asking, what did you find with aggression at 100 for all-star? What was the main reason to change it back to 50?
I believe the aggression slider increases the likelihood of "high pressure" defensive coverage.

If you max it out, the CPU won't just defend statically. It's more likely to attack the puck carrier, pressure along the boards, etc. This creates an additional challenge for the HUMAN.

In "Pro" difficulty, my sliders are aimed at *increasing* the challenge. So this "high pressure" defense is desirable. Because by default, the CPU can remain pretty static & low-energy while defending.

In "All Star" difficulty, my sliders are attempting to *decrease* the challenge. Remember, these sliders are primarily aimed at users trapped between "Pro" & "All Star" difficulty.

One problem with "All Star" is that it's hard-coded towards an unnatural aggressive defense. By "hard coded", I mean that you could reduce to "aggression" to zero...and you'd still see the CPU constantly attacking & suffocating the HUMAN offense.

It's very hard as it is, for the HUMAN to cycle the puck & create offensive plays in "All Star" difficulty. Increasing the "Aggression" slider to 100 only makes it harder. Which is why it's left at default (50/100) in "All Star" difficulty.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Rookie

Quick questions, is this exclusive for V.1.03 or can it be used with the latest tuner?
Can you please explain to me the effects of the Attribute effects? I thought 10/10 was the way to go to get true separation. But all i got was a mess. So i will try 5/10.
Do you use maxed out penalty slider, or is 3/4? The Cpu penalties slider is?
Sorry about all the questions just wanting to get the most realistic game possible.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #23
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canton_Carl
Quick questions, is this exclusive for V.1.03 or can it be used with the latest tuner?
Can you please explain to me the effects of the Attribute effects? I thought 10/10 was the way to go to get true separation. But all i got was a mess. So i will try 5/10.
Do you use maxed out penalty slider, or is 3/4? The Cpu penalties slider is?
Sorry about all the questions just wanting to get the most realistic game possible.
1) The latest tuner is "1.03". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but "Latest" is just a convenience option. It pushes you forward automatically whenever a new tuner is released.

The reason PRO STAR has it set to the actual tuner version number, instead of latest, is because new tuner updates can cause unexpected problems with modified sliders.

So when tuner updates are released, I first test them to make sure there's no strange reaction to the slider modifications. Then I update this topic & reflect the change in tuner version.

2) Based on what I read, "5/10" attribute effects slider still respects player attributes. But what it does is occasionally allow weaker players to have "good games" & stronger players to have "bad games".

At "10/10", the danger is that you might lock in players into predictable performances. So you may not see Auston Matthews or Patrik Laine slumping - as happens in real life. It's also important for goalies - because how many times have we seen weak goalies put up great performances in the NHL?

NOW, I have to be honest. My knowledge about this is from last year's game. I have not actually tested 10/10 attribute effects this year. However, if you read past posts in this topic - another user implemented 10/10 and felt it worked for him. So you can always experiment - or just use the Full Sim default value (which is what PRO STAR implements).

3) Your question about penalties relates to game rules section (which I don't list). I'm not near my ps4 now, but I believe 3/4 penalties is correct.

What you can do is switch to the "Full Sim" preset - and see what it suggests for that game rule penalties option. That's how I set mine - because PRO STAR uses Full Sim defaults where no modification is made.

Last edited by jaibubwan; 02-09-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #24
Just started!

Thanks for this. Makes the game a lot more realistic. I’ve been trying to get slashing under control and so far I’ve found that setting it to 2/100 does a fair job (1 - 3 slashes per team per game).

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »