Home

Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19

This is a discussion on Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19 within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #57
Rookie

TnT1tan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19

Can't wait for the updated set. I was really enjoying your sliders before the update, although I did up the accuracy to 5.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #58
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

UPDATE Feb 23 2019:

The changes to PRO STAR are so significant, I'm going to ask that you refer to the updated slider images in the first post of this topic. Apply "Full Sim" then apply the PRO STAR modifications.

I've also updated the "mission statement" in the first post (quoted below as well). But for my current users, I think I should explain why such a massive overhaul took place:
  • I think EA made great changes to skating & speed in the last tuner updates. So PRO STAR no longer modifies speed-related values. As a result, skating maybe a little faster than in the previous PRO STAR. But I find it's dynamic & tempered by the way EA applied realistic skating leg motion. It's not just a player blazing at one speed. He starts slow then builds up as he finds a clear lane...and if he stops, he's slow again.

If, for any reason, you wish to increase or decrease skating speed - I've included instructions in the PRO STAR images.

------------------------
  • I've also changed how I treat passing. In the previous PRO STAR, we relied on "wayward passes". Now you'll find that the 'Pass Accuracy' slider has increased from 0 to 10. Instead, the new PRO STAR has tuned passing so that the puck comes loose in close & crowded situations - or contexts where a player has low passing skill. This is more realistic, and removes the random nature of the previous "wayward" passes.

However, you can still safely apply the previous "0" value & it will still give you a fun game with more offsides, icing, and puck chases - the instructions are in the PRO STAR slider images.

------------------------
  • Another major change is in the area of goaltending. You'll find more rebounds which produce battles in front of the net. The goalie may take a realistic amount of time to get back up to standing position - if he makes a diving save. Previous users, especially on "All Star" difficulty, complained about a lack of goals. Hopefully this new reality helps them towards that goal (pardon the pun!).

------------------------
  • Finally, one major change is the implementation of "Attribute Effects". In previous years, I was always skeptical about this slider. But in my testing this month, I found it worked WONDERS to create more REALISM in how the CPU strategizes. What seems to happen is, CPU players now make positional & skill based mistakes. The "Offensive/Defensive Awareness" skill seems to kick in - and weaker players will position themselves improperly. This creates gaps in the offensive zone that you can take advantage of. If a goalie is weak, you'll also see him scramble more to regain position or control rebounds. Stronger players absorb & dish out hits more effectively, elites control the puck better, etc.

Now I didn't want a situation where every game against Sidney Crosby leads to Carter Hart getting pulled. So PRO STAR has set this slider to 7/10. This seems to create a reasonable amount of distinction - while allowing weaker players/goalies to occasionally have "great games".

------------------------

All of these changes produce the sort of gameplay I describe in the new "mission statement":
Quote:
The main problem with NHL 19, as you move from "Pro" difficulty to "All Star" is that the CPU begins to behave "perfectly". Passes are lightning quick & always reach their destination. The CPU always finds the perfect position & seems to hold the puck like a super-human. You can only compete by matching the AI's perfect behavior.

But that's not real NHL hockey. Players get out of position. They make bad passes. As the Nashville Predator's Ryan Johansen once said: "Hockey is a game of mistakes".

So what PRO STAR does is modify sliders such that we maintain the talent of the players - but bring out the high pressure & puck battling nature of hockey more. In the offensive zone, you'll find more gaps in the CPU's defensive structure & more rebounds/scrambles in front of the net. In the defensive zone, you & your teammates will be able to disrupt passing plays & battle for loose puck possession.

Previous users may remember me from my previous NHL 18 PRO PLUS sliders. Those served to modify "Pro" difficulty to make it more challenging (because "All Star" was impossible to tame).

But no longer! In PRO STAR for NHL 19..."Pro" level users can finally play on "All Star" difficulty - without the unfair & unrealistic competition other sliders & default settings produce!

Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19 (Updated March 16, 2019)

Jai's PRO PLUS Sliders for NHL 18

Last edited by jaibubwan; 02-23-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #59
Rookie

Thanks for the update. One little question, user strategy adjustment at zero affecting gameplay or you doing changes manually. Does it have specific reason to be at zero?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #60
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville
Thanks for the update. One little question, user strategy adjustment at zero affecting gameplay or you doing changes manually. Does it have specific reason to be at zero?
Oh yes! I should clarify that later. It only affects you, the human. And it's not important to the overall gameplay experience. You can modify that slider as you please. I have it set to zero because I adjust my own strategies as I play. But you can set it to whatever you like - especially if you have automatic strategy changes enabled.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #61
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Excellent post patch/tuner with your latest settings. I even tried at 6 min periods.
I am Panthers, was against Tampa.
20190224_005252.jpg

PSN: GRINGOyGUAVA
YouTube: Hunkerdown

Madden 19 - Falcons year 2
(Mizzourah setup)
FIFA 19 - tabled post patch
Show 18 - Braves year 2
(default AS quick counts)
NHL 19 - Panthers year 1
(default competitive sim)
NBA 2K19 - MyPlayer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #62
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

Hey guys. I was in a rush to post yesterday...and only mentioned customizing the speed of players. But I forgot to mention how to customize the "stickiness" of passes. To do that, modify the 'Reception Reaction Time' slider (in the passing section).

I just edited this note into the PRO STAR slider card for 'Passing'. But here's the text in case any of you wish to customize to your liking:
Quote:
If you wish to control the "stickiness" of pass receptions, modify this slider.

Values higher than "87" will produce more loose pucks or pauses as the pass recipient attempts to steady the puck against his stick blade.

Values lower than "87" will produce more sticky pucks that arrive safe & sound against the pass recipient's stick blade.

At "87" you get sticky pucks during most passes. But loose pucks in close contact, high speed situations. While this helps us "humanize" the CPU's typically perfect offensive play...you may feel it disrupts you in certain contexts. So if you want, experiment & modify this slider to your personal preference.

Last edited by jaibubwan; 02-24-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #63
Rookie

Got my first win with Vegas over Chicago... 4-1 with empty netter. My biggest concern was about my goalie attributes against all star cpu offence, Fleury was great. Shots 26/44 with 21 in the third by Chicago, if i was calmer in 3rd, got about 8-10 less by cpu, so i accept that its my fault for conceding tha amount of shots. Hits 17/11, i got about 20-20 with your previous set, but iguess with new skating dynamic you got option and space to play smart and get hited less, so it is an improvement for me. pp 0/4 0/2... so everything feels great right now. Last one, i don't get it how you guys got 40 shots in 6 minutes... may be you should try play some passing game in the atacking zone, not just shoot the puck. Try to slow it down, but it your choice. I'm very serious about shot numbers and i get little too much by cpu with 10 min, but it's all about my defensive effort, so i'll try to get better. Movement is great right now and i start to have that tv like feeling while playing, first time in years so these sliders work for me perfect. Next stop is 31 team control season mode. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #64
Rookie

serooo's Arena

Fantastic yours settings!!!! Congrats and thx! I enjoy the gameplay!
Slashing at 0? Why? EA fixed that,or not? Cheers!

Last edited by serooo; 02-24-2019 at 11:08 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »