Home

AlTito's NHL 20 Sliders

This is a discussion on AlTito's NHL 20 Sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #177
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: AlTito's NHL 20 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
How do these play for position lock? Have you tried? Lowering the CPU acceleration seems to help eliminate that "boost" the CPU tends to get on All Star.
I don't play position lock, so I don't really know.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #178
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

I've been using these on authentic broadcast camera and they're great. Only issue I see, and this is likely more game-related, is you can't get space in your own zone to cycle as you begin a build up. The AI seems to always just be very aggressive.

Any ways to help with that?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #179
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
I've been using these on authentic broadcast camera and they're great. Only issue I see, and this is likely more game-related, is you can't get space in your own zone to cycle as you begin a build up. The AI seems to always just be very aggressive.

Any ways to help with that?
Good to know you like the sliders! For your question, I would say that the Agression slider in the Checking section may be the answer. However, I let it on default at 50, I didn't increase it, so you're right when saying that it's probably game-related. Lowering it a bit may help for your issue, but it could also have effects on the overall gameplay, because this slider affects a lot of things both defensively and offensively. You may still try it and see how it goes.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #180
Rookie

Starchild1994's Arena

OVR: 0

I was really liking the penalties set to 80 and the specific ones to 70 with 20 on hooking and tripping. Now they're way too many.. the others adjustments are great
If I go back to 55 in the "face-off difficulty" there's a chance of create problems somewhere else or I am good to go? 3/4 of the faceoffs are won by the cpu
Old 06-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #181
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild1994
I was really liking the penalties set to 80 and the specific ones to 70 with 20 on hooking and tripping. Now they're way too many.. the others adjustments are great
If I go back to 55 in the "face-off difficulty" there's a chance of create problems somewhere else or I am good to go? 3/4 of the faceoffs are won by the cpu
You can make those changes if you wish, they should not create any side effects on gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #182
Pro

Lordofthething's Arena

OVR: 9

Anyone try these on pro and just increase the cpu difficulty adjustment?

Last edited by Lordofthething; 07-26-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #183
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Hey AlTito! Thanks for all the work putting this set together!

First game trying these out, so small sample size obviously, but I thought I'd share my thoughts here for others. The only difference from the base set (8/4 version) here is I turned Attribute Effects up to 7/10, and on 8 minute quarters-

Overall, I absolutely love how the game feels. Definitely a more realistic feel than my prior set. The puck feels loose and every time it hits something (a leg, a foot, a stick) it reacts accordingly. This loose feel to puck control contributes to a more interesting battle for possession, and NZ play is as crucial as it's ever felt in an NHL game.

Penalties - I think penalties were in an okay spot overall. I took 4, and the CPU took 2 - a little low, but well within reason for a single game. I'll have to play more games to see how it does with a larger sample.

Three of my penalties were very similar though. I initiated board play when the puck was there, the puck left, so I changed players, and the AI was too dumb to let go --> holding. It's too early to tell, but I may lower the holding slider as a result - otherwise I may have to self-legislate board play out of the game, which I prefer not to do. If you subtract the holding penalties from my game, I end up with a grand total of 1 as a team, so when/if I do so, I may have to bump some others up. Again, it was one game, so I'm not planning on making a tweak like that just yet.

The usual suspects, tripping and hooking, weren't called too much, while I still didn't feel like I could get away with spamming poke/stick lift.

Faceoffs
I won 28 of 47 faceoffs (59%). I played as Colorado versus St. Louis, so it may just be a factor of who is facing off against who and their relative faceoff ratings. I'll keep an eye on it, but 59% really isn't that crazy for a single game.

The total number of faceoffs (47) is a bit lower than I'd like, but higher than what I experienced previously. A positive side effect of the loose puck feel is that you end up with more offsides, icings, puck out of play, etc. There were only a few stretches where you'd go 6-7 in-game minutes without a faceoff.

Hits
Hits were 8 to 12. Big hits were rare, but smaller hits separated the player from the puck more often than in the base game, both of which I liked.

Goals
There were only three goals total, but there was some good variety there:

STL 1 - Wraparound by ROR
COL 1 - Net drive by MacKinnon (unfortunate side-effect of loose puck feel is that goals like this one will register as unassisted, when IRL they would be giving out assists. That fraction of a second the opponent touches the puck is considered "possession" by the game, cancelling out any prior touches by the scoring team in regards to an assist. This sucks, but there isn't any slidering you can do to fix that)
STL 2 - PP rebound score for Thomas

Definitely looking forward to implementing a version of these in my franchise mode.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #184
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Hey AlTito! Thanks for all the work putting this set together!

First game trying these out, so small sample size obviously, but I thought I'd share my thoughts here for others. The only difference from the base set (8/4 version) here is I turned Attribute Effects up to 7/10, and on 8 minute quarters-

Overall, I absolutely love how the game feels. Definitely a more realistic feel than my prior set. The puck feels loose and every time it hits something (a leg, a foot, a stick) it reacts accordingly. This loose feel to puck control contributes to a more interesting battle for possession, and NZ play is as crucial as it's ever felt in an NHL game.

Penalties - I think penalties were in an okay spot overall. I took 4, and the CPU took 2 - a little low, but well within reason for a single game. I'll have to play more games to see how it does with a larger sample.

Three of my penalties were very similar though. I initiated board play when the puck was there, the puck left, so I changed players, and the AI was too dumb to let go --> holding. It's too early to tell, but I may lower the holding slider as a result - otherwise I may have to self-legislate board play out of the game, which I prefer not to do. If you subtract the holding penalties from my game, I end up with a grand total of 1 as a team, so when/if I do so, I may have to bump some others up. Again, it was one game, so I'm not planning on making a tweak like that just yet.

The usual suspects, tripping and hooking, weren't called too much, while I still didn't feel like I could get away with spamming poke/stick lift.

Faceoffs
I won 28 of 47 faceoffs (59%). I played as Colorado versus St. Louis, so it may just be a factor of who is facing off against who and their relative faceoff ratings. I'll keep an eye on it, but 59% really isn't that crazy for a single game.

The total number of faceoffs (47) is a bit lower than I'd like, but higher than what I experienced previously. A positive side effect of the loose puck feel is that you end up with more offsides, icings, puck out of play, etc. There were only a few stretches where you'd go 6-7 in-game minutes without a faceoff.

Hits
Hits were 8 to 12. Big hits were rare, but smaller hits separated the player from the puck more often than in the base game, both of which I liked.

Goals
There were only three goals total, but there was some good variety there:

STL 1 - Wraparound by ROR
COL 1 - Net drive by MacKinnon (unfortunate side-effect of loose puck feel is that goals like this one will register as unassisted, when IRL they would be giving out assists. That fraction of a second the opponent touches the puck is considered "possession" by the game, cancelling out any prior touches by the scoring team in regards to an assist. This sucks, but there isn't any slidering you can do to fix that)
STL 2 - PP rebound score for Thomas

Definitely looking forward to implementing a version of these in my franchise mode.
Thanks for the feedback and the good words! Great to know you liked the game with these sliders as a base.

I made a few more tweaks today, mostly to penalties, so you may want to update your sliders with them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »