Home

Talking to EA Developer about NHL 20!

This is a discussion on Talking to EA Developer about NHL 20! within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Talking to EA Developer about NHL 20!

I'm using Cyclo's sliders and they are working out great. I'm using AE slider at 5 as well. In my opinion though, I never thought this AE worked as intended. It might "increase" ratings, but it also makes the "mediocre" players better. It's almost a false positive effect. Also, I just think the AE slider was a lazy way for the EA devs to make up for their lack of proper player ratings.

If we had decent player ratings, there would be no need for this slider.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #18
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

The attribute effect slider does what it says it does and that has always been the case. If you are using EA's rosters, 5 just doesn't adjust the spread EA gives you. It maintains the balance.

What I've done, instead of increasing the attribute effect slider, is decrease certain sliders like shot and pass accuracy, interceptions, stick lift effectiveness and goalie reaction speed. There are also other built in attribute effect modifers; there are two

Puck control rating effect
Checking/balance rating effect

I increase both of those two sliders.

Ratings should matter, but when you increase the attribute effect slider--in my observation--you are causing the game code to prioritize attributes over other factors. You increase the spread, but in an artificially boosted way. If you want to fairly test attribute effects at 10, I would make sure the two other attribute modifiers are at 50 first.

With that being said, 5 provides the best balance to me.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #19
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

Has anyone tried the attribute effect slider at 0? After reading about how the slider tends to inflate some ratings and deflate others in what feels to be like a way to artificially separate players, maybe this slider at 0 along with the proper slider adjustments to correct some things that seem askew could be a possible way to go here. Just tossing the idea out there since the popular adjustment is always 5 and higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
The attribute effect slider does what it says it does and that has always been the case. If you are using EA's rosters, 5 just doesn't adjust the spread EA gives you. It maintains the balance.

What I've done, instead of increasing the attribute effect slider, is decrease certain sliders like shot and pass accuracy, interceptions, stick lift effectiveness and goalie reaction speed. There are also other built in attribute effect modifers; there are two

Puck control rating effect
Checking/balance rating effect

I increase both of those two sliders.

Ratings should matter, but when you increase the attribute effect slider--in my observation--you are causing the game code to prioritize attributes over other factors. You increase the spread, but in an artificially boosted way. If you want to fairly test attribute effects at 10, I would make sure the two other attribute modifiers are at 50 first.

With that being said, 5 provides the best balance to me.

This has been the path I’ve taken as well with slider modifications since they’ve given us a ton of sliders. Leaving it at 5 is the proper “spread” but you can make the spread a little more granular with those check/balance rating sliders, the puck control effect slider, etc.

Home of the Elite Virtual Hockey League - An offline eSport Simulation League
Old 09-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
Has anyone tried the attribute effect slider at 0? After reading about how the slider tends to inflate some ratings and deflate others in what feels to be like a way to artificially separate players, maybe this slider at 0 along with the proper slider adjustments to correct some things that seem askew could be a possible way to go here. Just tossing the idea out there since the popular adjustment is always 5 and higher.

This test I believe has been done in the past with rather negative results, but you have my intrigued. Might have to fire up NHL when I get home and try this out. Crank all of the granular sliders up and drop the overarching AE to 0.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVHL_Official
This test I believe has been done in the past with rather negative results, but you have my intrigued. Might have to fire up NHL when I get home and try this out. Crank all of the granular sliders up and drop the overarching AE to 0.

I just feel like no matter where this slider is set the attributes of the players will still play a factor in the outcome of what we see on the ice. If it didn’t then the puck would be flying all over the place, nobody would be able to maintain control or complete a pass or even attempt a shot. I’m going to reset all my sliders to default and put this at 0 for a few games, see what happens and adjust accordingly.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #23
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

One thing I absolutely HATE about this franchise that no sliders ever seem to fix....
I can play as any NHL team against any ECHL team (or whichever lower level league is in the game) and that team will compete with me as if they were an actual NHL team. I should be able to skate circles around this team but it never happens. It’s beyond frustrating.
To me this type of overall team separation is more baffling than individual player separation.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

I say this because I played a game last night as the Rangers and got blown out 7-2 by the Maine Mariners (the Rangers ECHL affiliate). Now, speaking as a Rangers fan, this probably could really happen, but the game never felt like I was playing against an ECHL team which, even if only for a few spurts, should have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »