Home

Cycloniac's TrueSim NHL 20 Sliders

This is a discussion on Cycloniac's TrueSim NHL 20 Sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #49
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Cycloniac's TrueSim NHL 20 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSuperman
Quick first impressions: after playing the weekend out of the box at what I knew was too fast of gameplay, this felt sluggish at first, but after half a period it felt like home. Part of me would like to see it a smidgen faster but I know messing with game speed or player skating sets off a bunch of things, so the word of the day is compromise!

On Pro my main concern is always just dominating in goals and shots on goal simply because it's easy to cause turnovers at my own blue line. I don't think this is something sliders can overcome on Pro, the only way around this is upping difficulty, but then there are other hang ups that come with that, so again, compromise

And compromise I will take. After one period I felt I was dominating on shots on goal, simply cause on the PP I felt like it was easy mode. But turns out the PP felt dangerous cause that's how it's supposed to feel, and shots on goal ended up being 10-7. Now I'm 3 minutes left in the 2nd period, PP's are 2/4 in CPU's favor, and SOG are 20-18, again in CPU's favor, I took a stupid tripping penalty when I lost the puck while cycling.

The pro difficulty does show a little bit in defensive play, I don't feel super threatened in my own zone, but then again I pride myself on my defensive work rather than try to cheat on offense and cherry pick everything
I agree, one of the changes I'm testing is game speed at 2, still lower than the default

Old 09-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #50
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Let me know how Pro plays for you

I'm working on tightening it up a smidge before I update the OP with the full changes, zone entries are a little too easy and there isn't enough pressure at times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Yea, I haven't made any of your unofficial changes yet, just mine. I get 25+ per team a game. And I like that I get 5-12 per period instead of the constant 13+.

I'll test more when I get home from work. I'll reverse the teams this time and play as Ottawa and see if there is a difference. Obviously no re-rates yet, just EA's default roster ratings.

UPDATE:
I reversed the roles and played as OTT using the changes I made and on PRO. Unfortunately, the result felt the same as if I was SJ against OTT. I had 14 SOG to SJ 4 at the end of the first period, and was winning 1 -0.

Unless some unique changes can be made on PRO, I think All Star might have to be the way to go. What's weird though, is that on PRO I get more penalties on me and the CPU than I do on All Star. Opposite from last year.
While the 14-4 shot differential is quite huge, I wouldn't worry too much about a 'lesser' team being able to do such a thing, it's still hockey, anything can happen, and it's still an NHL franchise, all professional players. Plus it's only a single game. Over 82 games, not having enough scorers would catch up, I would think.

I think you can only expect one of two things with sliders, good gameplay, or good results. You're playing as the Sharks, a better team in the league. If the game plays nice, I wouldn't worry about whether or not the results would be real world accurate for every team in the league. Cause that is a balance that is incredibly hard to get
Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #51
MVP

Does everyone play on true broadcast? I do like this cam but it does take some time to get use to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #52
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

I don't have an exact score sheet, but everything looked nice except the score...6-0. Third period Nashville's defense fell apart and I was able to get a couple breakaways or 2 on 1's and put a simple move on Rinne for an easy goal. Trying a rematch right now and I'm up 2-0 10 minutes in with no PP's and a 7-1 shot total favoring me. I'm not deterred by this as this happens, and my second goal is only due to the new shot animations, I tried a bit of a cross crease on a 2 on 1 rush, and Bertuzzi overskated but did a little spin-a-roonie on the side of the net to bury it.

Will definitely try on the next difficulty after this for comparison's sake, and also cause I remember the AI learning is on 0!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
While the 14-4 shot differential is quite huge, I wouldn't worry too much about a 'lesser' team being able to do such a thing, it's still hockey, anything can happen, and it's still an NHL franchise, all professional players. Plus it's only a single game. Over 82 games, not having enough scorers would catch up, I would think.

I think you can only expect one of two things with sliders, good gameplay, or good results. You're playing as the Sharks, a better team in the league. If the game plays nice, I wouldn't worry about whether or not the results would be real world accurate for every team in the league. Cause that is a balance that is incredibly hard to get
My issue is when I played as Ottawa, the game play didn't feel any different if I was playing as SJ.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #54
Rookie

CaptainSuperman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
My issue is when I played as Ottawa, the game play didn't feel any different if I was playing as SJ.
It's one game though. And does the gameplay feel good, or is it too fast? Too zippy? Too many laser passes? You have to decide what's really important to you

Edit: More feedback. I quit minutes into the 2nd period in my rematch at Pro difficulty, once I figured how to get behind the defense, breakaways were becoming frequent along with goals. So i rematched again on Superstar. I got something like 13 or 15 shots on goal the 1st period, but was down 1-0 going into the second. The game ended with me having 31 shots on goal to NSH's 27 or so, I lost a 2-1 game (would have been 3-1 but I refused to pull the goalie).

I don't really have anything to complain about or fix, tbh. I think with a more competitive AI to play against, pace didn't feel so slow, so I don't think game speed needs to be touched for Superstar. Penalties occurred but weren't overboard, I still was able to cycle with my better lines (well, line, it is Detroit). I think the thing that I like the most yet feel...different about, is all the neutral zone play. Lot's of turnovers for both teams, lots of hits and stick lifts occur to make play go the other way, not something EA's tuning doesn't accomplish

Last edited by CaptainSuperman; 09-26-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #55
Rookie

TopThrillAnthony's Arena

I just realized why I was getting high shot totals. My franchise mode put Power Play and Coincidental Penalty time sliders at 6/6 and 5/6 respectively LMFAO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
It's one game though. And does the gameplay feel good, or is it too fast? Too zippy? Too many laser passes? You have to decide what's really important to you

Edit: More feedback. I quit minutes into the 2nd period in my rematch at Pro difficulty, once I figured how to get behind the defense, breakaways were becoming frequent along with goals. So i rematched again on Superstar. I got something like 13 or 15 shots on goal the 1st period, but was down 1-0 going into the second. The game ended with me having 31 shots on goal to NSH's 27 or so, I lost a 2-1 game (would have been 3-1 but I refused to pull the goalie).

I don't really have anything to complain about or fix, tbh. I think with a more competitive AI to play against, pace didn't feel so slow, so I don't think game speed needs to be touched for Superstar. Penalties occurred but weren't overboard, I still was able to cycle with my better lines (well, line, it is Detroit). I think the thing that I like the most yet feel...different about, is all the neutral zone play. Lot's of turnovers for both teams, lots of hits and stick lifts occur to make play go the other way, not something EA's tuning doesn't accomplish
Importance to me is realism. That the game and teams play how they should. I did do more games and more than one period. Didn't matter which team used, they all played the same and I dominated every game.

The pros is that I've seen more penalties on the PRO level than All Star, for both teams. Also, I'm not seeing much of the "poor" AI on PRO. On All Star, the AI teammates pass the puck to the opposing team in odd situations (passing back, into a crowd, etc).

The negative, is that Pro is definitely in the Hum favor. My guys are faster than the CPU and always seems to dominate in shots no matter what team used.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »