Home

Voodoo's NHL 20 Sliders

This is a discussion on Voodoo's NHL 20 Sliders within the EA Sports NHL Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13
Voodoo's NHL 20 Sliders

All star slider base that plays more like pro+ with the ability to increase the difficulty if needed.

First time posting a slider set.
I wasn't going to but since I'm finishing up my first year of franchise and it seems to be quite different from other sets posted I'll throw it out there.

Overall my set is not hardcore sim but I find it to be challenging and fun. Superstar players feel dangerous and fun to control but also harder to play against. Several small changes can be made making it harder.
More likely to have 4-3 or 6-5 games than 2-1 games, goalies could probably be set harder. I'm using medium sim stats setting so simmed games are similar.
Not as much "sloppy play", there are lots of turnovers and broken plays but not as much as some sets.
More chance for cpu and human to control the puck and have better plays set up and since there isn't a great replication of board play in the game this helps to reduce the constant up and down track meet that default can be.

Some key differences and points of emphasis in my set:

I'm using the tuner that came out probably in the first week of release, so there could definitely be differences in your experience using other tuners and patches.

Broken stick 67 , If you watch a game there are tons of broken sticks. I sometimes see 4 or 5 in a game with this.

Fatigue effect 100, helps to punish the team for leaving a line out for 5 minutes and icings. You want to roll your lines with this setting.

Skating, I have the agility high.
I feel it helps the players to move around more naturally and with sharper cuts when skating. Combined with puck control it feels like more offensive options are available making it easier to work the puck around setting up plays.

Shooting, I have the CPU accuracy low
Mostly for an adjustment to make the game a bit easier. You could easily adjust them up as a way to fine tune the difficulty. Because of their passing % being a bit high they seem to naturally get more shooting opportunities.

Passing, reduced CPU accuracy and interceptions
I find on default the CPU is way too accurate helping them to keep control of the puck more than they should, while the human can use a little boost to balance the passing %. For their interceptions I always found they have a bit of a magnet stick on default even when you make a good pass that should be safe.

Puck control, Immunity at 80 along with control at 50
I was getting tired of grabbing a loose puck in front of my net only to have the cpu instantly grab it back.
With my settings the CPU can still get the puck back but it seems to give you a second to make a pass or skate to an open space to try to get away. It helps the CPU also but it's mostly to help the human.

Penalties
Was suggested somewhere here to reduce some of the human ones to 2, to help with board play.
I'm not yet sure of these because of how bad the game is at representing board play but even at 2 you will still get some penalties. This is something I've not used for long so it may not be necessary to set this low.
Interference, I have this low because of the amount of times you go to hit someone and the way the game plays out with lag or an animation you miss them and hit another player by accident getting a penalty. Not sim, but more fun.

I'm by no means a slider expert but these settings seem to be a combination that brings out some good competitive and fun to play games and maybe someone else will enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for taking the time to look at them.

Sliders
Spoiler

Jan 4-Few small tweaks in red since playing with 1.40 patch
Agility and skating speed reduced
Aggression reduced since the players were attacking the puck carrier too aggressively and getting out of position.

Last edited by voodoo_magic; 01-05-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

Re: Voodoo's NHL 20 Sliders

I know it's a pain to change all your sliders around to try these out so here's a clip of some cpu vs cpu using my sliders.
I think it shows how good the players look skating and making cuts compared to default.

Made a few small adjustments, updated first post.
Have updated to patch 1.30 and the game seems more defensive and lower scoring so with these settings 10 min periods give a better result stats wise.

https://youtu.be/E5inTFzE_io
Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Want to try these sliders...but want to see the video first....it says it is private...how do I get access to it.????
Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

I'm a youtube noob.
Had it set to private, it should work now.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

Now I remember why I never wanted to post a set.

Only posted because it's playing like the best NHL I've played, competitive but fun and was hoping to help guys out. I really don't care about being the popular set or having 10,000 replies.

I didn't want to post this replay to my thread.
However, it's a little frustrating to not have any replies and wonder if anyone is even trying you're set out. After all, I wanted to know it there was anything that could be adjusted in my set to make it even better for me.

I didn't enjoy the 0 immunity, 40 agility and 0 puck control type set ups. Felt real sluggish, slow turning and not fun to control with the cpu insta turnover fest so I tried some different numbers and came up with a much different set up.

Setting up a new slider in game is a real pain so I understand guys just using the popular sliders and if you can have fun with those set ups that's great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

I tried your slider, thought they we're good, I just thought immunity was little high, less broken sticks, I might suggest like 20 or 25 and broken stick at 67, might help.

another thing u might wanna look into is :

Injury Occurrence: 51

I think at 45 its too low, there was hardly any injury's from fighting and blocked shots and from checking, might I suggest 51, so there's little more injury's , but I say overall the slider is good.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 12-27-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

I paused that game for a little while but like your description and will just start an offline franchise and test them.

I like the approach and thank you very much for sharing and having a good description in correct English.

Cheers

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Sliders »