Home

NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit

This is a discussion on NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2022, 10:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit

I am currently on season 1 at the trade deadline. I am returning to the NHL series for the first time since nhl 97 so please forgive any dumb questions. I am having issues finding a suitable head coach that fits my team. The best scheme fit I can find is like 61%. I am just wondering if that is pretty standard or whether there is better coaches in the game with better scheme fits? And when is the best time to look for head coaches? I am at the trade deadline and there is no NHL coaches available. I am assuming wait till the end of the season? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Icon9 Re: NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris_Celtic
I am currently on season 1 at the trade deadline. I am returning to the NHL series for the first time since nhl 97 so please forgive any dumb questions. I am having issues finding a suitable head coach that fits my team. The best scheme fit I can find is like 61%. I am just wondering if that is pretty standard or whether there is better coaches in the game with better scheme fits? And when is the best time to look for head coaches? I am at the trade deadline and there is no NHL coaches available. I am assuming wait till the end of the season? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1ST SEASON is usually a waste unless you have a VETERAN team. Start at season 2 before the draft and set up a game plan... Young players need teachers, old players need veteran coaches. You have 4 coaches so use all four slots to help out..

1. Head coach needs great PP and PK - as close to all A's as possible.
2. Assistant Head Coach - can have high PP or PK and be offensive minded to help your scorers
3. Associate Coach - this guy offsets your Assistants weakness so defense to be A+
4. Goalie coach must have A+ in TEACHING and COACH INFLUENCE - doesn't matter what overall grade is do your best to get highest in both mentioned.

Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
1ST SEASON is usually a waste unless you have a VETERAN team. Start at season 2 before the draft and set up a game plan... Young players need teachers, old players need veteran coaches. You have 4 coaches so use all four slots to help out..

2. Assistant Head Coach - can have high PP or PK and be offensive minded to help your scorers
3. Associate Coach - this guy offsets your Assistants weakness so defense to be A+
4. Goalie coach must have A+ in TEACHING and COACH INFLUENCE - doesn't matter what overall grade is do your best to get highest in both mentioned.

Hope this helps
Really appreciate the response and information mate. That is awesome. Looking forward to NHL 23. Go the Bruins!
Old 10-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Re: NHL 22 - Hiring Head Coach & Scheme Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33

Hope this helps
I don’t find this to be the case. Honestly I don’t think assistants have much of an effect at all. I also think the results of head coaches are actually exaggerated as well.

I have run a test with the Colorado avalanche since they have a good roster. I did one where I hired the best coach possible with the best scheme fit possible, and one with the worst coach possible with the worse scheme fit.

All games simmed. For what it’s worth I made the playoffs on both tests, but actually finished with a better record with the bad coach than the good one.

I don’t think the feature works that well to be honest

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »