Home

So, let me get this straight...

This is a discussion on So, let me get this straight... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #9
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: So, let me get this straight...

I only buy this game every 3 years. On NHL 20 now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
So.....This proves you know nothing about the gaming industry

Lets recap.

1. Moving to a new console - This is a MAJOR issue for most gaming companies to do. The coding is completely different on PS5 then on PS4 its not just plug and play like a PC. That alone should be enough but I will continue. You need the education!!

2. Game Engine Upgrade - Read # 1 again

now HANG with me - IF you play this game LIKE REAL HOCKEY AND not as a DEKE fest NHL 22 is GREAT with the correct sliders. Is it perfect..hell NO its a video game but its still GREAT!

So many of you guys just bash every little detail.. News flash NOONE cares you don't have to announce your disgust. Im just so over it!!
That's a lie. Most "returning" franchises use much (if not most) of the same resources over and over again. It's not like the game is created from scratch every single year. So yes, a game might be ported over to a different hardware, but most times the code itself is simply reused from the previous code and adapted to work on the new hardware, which (surprise, surprise) is mostly brought forward to again, help with reducing costs and time needed. They might have new tools to use for the environment, and that needs time to learn. But the CORE system is basically just carried forward from the old one. Case in point, Microsoft uses a windows kernel as the base of the front end for their consoles, though heavily modified and more streamlined, but it's NOT new code. I bet Sony does much the same and so does Nintendo.

So moving a game from one console generation to the next "MIGHT" be a problem... The FIRST year, it's VERY rare that this is a problem for 2 or 3 years down the line. Maybe impossible even, unless you are just trying to find excuses (unsurprisingly). That said, if you go back to say NHL 07 on the Xbox 360, you'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, differences with the last version available on the console, NHL Legacy (16). That's because it's largely the same code they used, heavily modified and updated, so that they could keep pumping a "new" game every year.

When it moved to Xbox One, the graphical engine was new, but the underlying CODE was pretty much the same. Hence why so many bugs and glitches that were present in the 360 made their way onto the new console versions. And even though they switched engines for their assets again for NHL 22, it was mostly in respects to animations and graphical fidelity. The code was once again, basically the same code as NHL 15-16 on next gen consoles.

And it's hardly changed since then. Because again, it's about cutting down costs and also time THEY DON'T HAVE, in order to come up with a "new" game within 9 months of development. So the excuse that it's "hard to port over a game" to a different hardware doesn't really fly. Especially not 3 years down the line...

Maybe your standards are low and you don't mind throwing 80$ down the sewers every year. For some people, like you, that's an option. For others, it's a sizeable investment to demand for something that brings very little enjoyment. Especially considering that for over 20 years now, EA's NHL has always churned out a substandard product at an ever-increasing price. It would be understandable if they'd sell this for 40$ for basically a roster update every year.

Not charging AAA game prices for something that's clearly not.

Last edited by VeNOM3099; 10-06-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Would I like bigger changes sure but this game can be played relatively sim vs the cpu, I’m not saying it perfect but to flat out call it unplayable or not enjoyable is obviously a user to user thing. This game offers an absurd amount of slider and all of them work. The penalty sliders work unlike madden. For instance I put the interception slider in madden to zero and still see multiple a game. In nhl if u put a slider to zero or 100 it would affect the gameplay so much that it would be unplayable. I prefer more of a sloppy, anything can happen type of game, with passing not always on the tape, passes not received perfect every time and the game allows that. I know BigBadA feels the same way in that true broadcast plays differently than the north/south camera and out of the box plays more sim that can be further tweaked to play even more sim. Literally everything can be tweaked from puck pickups to how much size or speed affects a hit, puck friction, skating friction. Put the time in and u can create a game u will love. There is nothing wrong with the franchise mode, sure they can add to it but I think it’s solid, feature wise it’s a actually prob better than the Show’s franchise(the Show’s gameplay is tough to beat tho) and only nba 2k has a clear cut better franchise mode but I don’t like basketball near as much as hockey. But like others have said why come on here and bitch(yea ur entitled) but what good will it do, if u don’t like it don’t buy it, there budget is no where close to the other sports because of game sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #12
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

I agree with about everything you said BenVenom, the way I have setup NHL22 right now it's VERY enjoyable and a game I would pay for…

Yes it's also true that you can tweak the game (well most of it) to play the way you want it to… But being a guy that played and tweaked this game to no extent over the years, let me tell you that while some sliders do work, some of them sure are not, lol !

I like my hockey game to be hardcore simulation when I play them and when I came back to the series 3 weeks ago, I found out that the AI DMEN were left to dry on the O side of things, and I just couldn’t believe that EA would miss the boat there when they were playing so well in NHL20…. With the right sliders and strategies of course 😉

Now that I found a solution for the DMEN, I'm in hockey heaven and NHL22 delivers my hockey fix that’s for sure 😀
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Old 10-07-2022, 05:41 AM   #13
Rookie

LousyJackRanga's Arena

I am more dissapointed in the fact they haven't bothered to update the UI / Theme for franchise mode. The white background is horrendous with some features such as the stars in the trade block being next to impossible to see. At least give us a night mode.

In 12 months all they've added is some new settings, which I can't imagine Im ever gonna use.

This is the worst upgrade with the least amount effort put into a new franchise mode I've seen since I started playing this game.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

As long as rhere is no dump and chase and no cycling around the boards in the game .... it's just not hockey.

The NHL Series was never able to come as close to simulate the sport as for instance NBA2K or MLB the Show were able to.

In EAs NHL games there are running graphically good looking players with pretty good animations around - but they play nothing what would resemble the real nature of the game.

In real hockey puck posession is difficult - in the game the puck is glued to the stick.

The biggest failure of the game for years is, that the defence isn't defending their own blue line. This is essentiell in real hockey. Taking away time and space. In the game you can just walk in and pepper the goalie.

NHL is an arcade game. Simple as that. There are so many basic elements of the real game missing. No simulation at all - very far away from it.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
As long as rhere is no dump and chase and no cycling around the boards in the game .... it's just not hockey.

The NHL Series was never able to come as close to simulate the sport as for instance NBA2K or MLB the Show were able to.

In EAs NHL games there are running graphically good looking players with pretty good animations around - but they play nothing what would resemble the real nature of the game.

In real hockey puck posession is difficult - in the game the puck is glued to the stick.

The biggest failure of the game for years is, that the defence isn't defending their own blue line. This is essentiell in real hockey. Taking away time and space. In the game you can just walk in and pepper the goalie.

NHL is an arcade game. Simple as that. There are so many basic elements of the real game missing. No simulation at all - very far away from it.
With all do respect I wholeheartedly disagree here !!!

Play the game out of the box, sure it does this, but with a good slider set and adjusting strategies it's a whole different game… I could show tons of my gameplay where for about a minute, we spent cycling the puck and board battling…

With the aggression slider a bit on the upper 70's, you'll have a real hard time getting in the zone… Not your walk in the park as you put it…

Dump in's are also there…. Check it…

So I guess you've haven't played in a while huh ?
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)

Last edited by PernellKarl076; 10-07-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
Rookie

Ac3way's Arena

On NHL 19 CPU dumped puck on d-zone around boards and behind own net if pressured. Okay, you could read that and sometimes intercept puck on blue line. But it was at least smart hockey play from them (because it's on boards, not on front of your own net) and sometimes it was even successful passing around a boards, wich broke the pressure and started offence.

On NHL 20 CPU never used boards for passing, NEVER. If pressured they tried forcefully skate out of d-zone even front of their own goal or tried passing through forecheck. There was no smart choices and lots of errors loosing puck at dangerous situations.

Don't remember 100% accurate about NHL 21, I think they didn't use boards, but at least they were better making choices, skating and passing at own d-zone.

NHL 22 wasn't for me, too easy game at Superstar. Don't know how they behave, too few games.

Puck cycling and dumping is a simple AI thing, doesn't need to be that fancy. But it still should be in game! Hopefully NHL 23 would feature that "small detail" or some future version, if they someday completely overhaul AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »