Home

So, let me get this straight...

This is a discussion on So, let me get this straight... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #41
Rookie

Kinvarus's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So, let me get this straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99
You got any sources to back that up? I find it extremely hard to believe the coding is "completely different" between each console and pc. If that's the case...why would game companies spend the time and money to code for each console/pc? Just release it for next gen. It's $10 more per game.

Consoles are just closed operating system mini pc's. If anything PC's would be the hardest to code for as there literally a limitless amount of components that could be in one's pc. Maybe that's why NHL does't come out on PC. But find it all every other EA sports game does though.
NHL doesn't come out on PC because unlike console players, PC players decided that they weren't going to pay full price for a clone of the same game every year and stopped buying it. Especially when they could mod the game with updated jersey's and rosters so they didn't have to buy it anymore, so EA decided it wasn't worth the money to develop it on PC anymore.

That was EA's official reason for why they stopped doing it on PC anyway, people stopped buying it so it wasn't worth the cost to develop it...well that and piracy of course, another go to excuse.

Last edited by Kinvarus; 10-13-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2023, 10:17 PM   #42
Rookie

The problem with EA (in particular) is that the game is built on terrible legacy code, which they refuse to fix. All the alterations and additions they make only cause the game to spring leaks in unexpected ways (i.e., all the patching and updates throughout the cycle), yet the same issues persist over a decade in NHL (closer to 20 for Madden SMFH).
Old 04-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
As long as rhere is no dump and chase and no cycling around the boards in the game .... it's just not hockey.

The NHL Series was never able to come as close to simulate the sport as for instance NBA2K or MLB the Show were able to.

In EAs NHL games there are running graphically good looking players with pretty good animations around - but they play nothing what would resemble the real nature of the game.

In real hockey puck posession is difficult - in the game the puck is glued to the stick.

The biggest failure of the game for years is, that the defence isn't defending their own blue line. This is essentiell in real hockey. Taking away time and space. In the game you can just walk in and pepper the goalie.

NHL is an arcade game. Simple as that. There are so many basic elements of the real game missing. No simulation at all - very far away from it.
------------

Exactly. The only people who find enjoyment in this abomination of a game are those who make a living streaming themselves exploiting the non-hockey, physics-ignorant GARBAGE that is this game.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #44
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsquire212
------------

Exactly. The only people who find enjoyment in this abomination of a game are those who make a living streaming themselves exploiting the non-hockey, physics-ignorant GARBAGE that is this game.

Interesting. I guess you can finally move on and find a game that you like.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #45
Rookie

Mainly reader/absorber here, but seems like it's been the same comments for a long time.

PM/DM me if you want a solution and interested in online play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2023, 02:51 AM   #46
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsquire212
------------

I’ve moved back to NHL 20. Pretty surreal to see how far BACKWARDS the AI have gone since 20. On 21-23 I was constantly adjusting sliders, could never get the CPU to challenge the puck, always thinking there was some sort of slider solution (there isn’t).

Played 20 again based off advice I saw on Reddit, haven’t looked back. Sliders dialed in over a month ago and haven’t touched since. The AI is actually aggressive on defense and isn’t 100% passive and predictable. Game is built for the offline player still, not the UT streamers who want to NBA ISO offense all day and don’t want “skill zoning” as it would require them to actually have vision and pass.

If you’re burned out by this series, go put NHL 20 back on your system and give it a go. It’s mind-boggling. I haven’t had this much fun in an NHL game since NHL 20 was current. It’s even more fun than it used to be with how much I’ve dove into sliders and player attribute balancing. I really think I’ve perfected my Vision for virtual hockey. It’s hands down my undisputed #1 hockey game of all-time now.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:59 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I’ve moved back to NHL 20. Pretty surreal to see how far BACKWARDS the AI have gone since 20. On 21-23 I was constantly adjusting sliders, could never get the CPU to challenge the puck, always thinking there was some sort of slider solution (there isn’t).

Played 20 again based off advice I saw on Reddit, haven’t looked back. Sliders dialed in over a month ago and haven’t touched since. The AI is actually aggressive on defense and isn’t 100% passive and predictable. Game is built for the offline player still, not the UT streamers who want to NBA ISO offense all day and don’t want “skill zoning” as it would require them to actually have vision and pass.

If you’re burned out by this series, go put NHL 20 back on your system and give it a go. It’s mind-boggling. I haven’t had this much fun in an NHL game since NHL 20 was current. It’s even more fun than it used to be with how much I’ve dove into sliders and player attribute balancing. I really think I’ve perfected my Vision for virtual hockey. It’s hands down my undisputed #1 hockey game of all-time now.
As someone who never had major issues with this game and always got pushback for defending it, I can tell you y’all were a bunch of whiny babies about 20 too. Cute that you like it now. “Mind boggling” lol. Have fun.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:00 PM   #48
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Has 23 improved much since release?

Does the 1-3-1 actually work/resemble a 1-3-1 now?

Haven't played in several months.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »