Home

NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

This is a discussion on NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 10-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #153
MVP

Jeffrey99's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
Bought despite what seems like 80% of the “fanbase” saying it’s garbage. Put gamespeed on 1 with no other adjustments and played about three hours; I would say this game has never felt, looked or sounded better and is, strictly in gameplay terms, every bit as good as 2K23 & Madden 23. Hate-boners with fantasies about what they wish the game was like notwithstanding, there has never been a better hockey game in pure gameplay terms imo. (Inb4 hurrr 2K8 hurrrr NHL 94, gimme a break).

Don’t care about the presentation controversy, crowd & audio improvements trump it and the presentation has never been good in this game anyway.

I think if you don’t like what’s happening on the ice here you just don’t like video games anymore, and that’s ok.

8/10 initial impression, because i don’t have a hate-boner for EA sports games like most people.

Prolly gonna be my only post on this topic since this forum is dead and full of haters anyway. Cheers dudes.
Don't worry...it'll change. 22 at launch was actually a great game gameplay wise. And actually halfway resembled what we see on tv. That quickly when away when the CHEL players complained that it was too hard and they reverted back to NHL 21 v2.

I have not played 23, so can't comment on 23. What I've seen doesn't warrant a $70 upgrade.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #154
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

I haven’t played this series a lot recently… in game injuries?
Old 10-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #155
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
NHL 23 Trial Available Now For EA Play Subscribers

Ok after tinkering with the dmen ratings/attributes for the past week and FINALLY getting it to NHL 20 level in terms of cpu off dmen ai and possibly even better. I can comfortably say, with modified sliders: This game feels like NHL hockey on the ice and is a blast to play.

So many new realistic animations on bumps along the boards ( reduced hit power)

Many more goalie animations that make sense
5 hole is a realistic way to score
Forwards do not only attack the net ( zeroed their shot tendency slider in strategy section).

I can finally retire NHL 20.

Out of the box, game plays too fast and hits all over the place. But if you play offline only like me, there is a damn gooood hockey game in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #156
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
I haven’t played this series a lot recently… in game injuries?

Yes there is. I put injury sliders at 65 and will get a decent amount of injuries throughout the year.

Old 10-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #157
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer89
I agree 100%. The gameplay on the ice is awesome, the best its ever been. The crowd atmosphere is amazing.

As for franchise mode. Its the 2nd best out of the 4 major sports games. I don’t get all the hate.
Seems like a bunch of dudes that are still mad 2K screwed up their hockey franchise. I’m kind of blown away by just how much fun I’m rally having with it.

And you are right. It’s too bad three aren’t more actual gamers in this forum.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #158
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeWhy
Seems like a bunch of dudes that are still mad 2K screwed up their hockey franchise. I’m kind of blown away by just how much fun I’m rally having with it.

And you are right. It’s too bad three aren’t more actual gamers in this forum.
I don't find the gameplay worth a $70 upgrade. I already made global attribute changes and slider changes in 22 to get a much better hockey experience than OOTB 22. 23 isn't a massive improvement in this area. It's a marginal upgrade and the misleading marketing when it comes to their "focus" on presentation has made me unable to support the product.

I actually find the hitting to be less consistent than 22 and the DSS speed nerf to also be a downgrade from 22. Goalies received an upgrade, the AI seem slightly more aggressive on defense when they should be which is nice. In-zone offense is unchanged, special teams are still horrid.

I'm glad you're liking the game but refraining from a $70 tuner set with some DLC equipment is not because people are "mad 2k screwed up their hockey series" lol. It's the principle of not being okay with false advertising and not finding $70 worth of value out of a game that admittedly has very few "feature upgrades" to the product not to mention some of their "polishing" or "tuner changes" aren't even objective improvements from the previous tuner set (22).
Old 10-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #159
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer89
I agree 100%. The gameplay on the ice is awesome, the best its ever been. The crowd atmosphere is amazing.

As for franchise mode. Its the 2nd best out of the 4 major sports games. I don’t get all the hate.

What i dont get is how some people dont understand that the game can be great on the ice and the crowd atmosphere can be awesome and the franchise mode can be the 2nd best out of the 4 major franchise and still get hated on.

Those feelings can coexist. Heres how:

Id argue that on release last years game was the best gameplay has ever been. This year is marginally better so ya it could also be said this year its the best its been and id expect next year it will be too. Key word is marginally.

Id argue that last year presentation was better because at least you you could have full presentation. So ya the crowd is amazing but overall its a step back.

The franchise mode being second best is arguable. Personally id probably agree but the issue is very little has changed in franchise over the last number of years.

If you played a lot of 22 there is a better than good chance you will get bored of 23 pretty quickly.

For $79.99 canadian minimum, there should be more here than there is. So the fact it is a good game doesnt at all mean its worth what they are charging. And it definetly means there should be some angst about it.

I cant stand the "i think the games awesome so the rest of you are all EA haters" mentallity. The game is way over priced for what they added this year. Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #160
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I don't find the gameplay worth a $70 upgrade. I already made global attribute changes and slider changes in 22 to get a much better hockey experience than OOTB 22. 23 isn't a massive improvement in this area. It's a marginal upgrade and the misleading marketing when it comes to their "focus" on presentation has made me unable to support the product.

I actually find the hitting to be less consistent than 22 and the DSS speed nerf to also be a downgrade from 22. Goalies received an upgrade, the AI seem slightly more aggressive on defense when they should be which is nice. In-zone offense is unchanged, special teams are still horrid.

I'm glad you're liking the game but refraining from a $70 tuner set with some DLC equipment is not because people are "mad 2k screwed up their hockey series" lol. It's the principle of not being okay with false advertising and not finding $70 worth of value out of a game that admittedly has very few "feature upgrades" to the product not to mention some of their "polishing" or "tuner changes" aren't even objective improvements from the previous tuner set (22).
HipNotiiC, you know I respect your knowledge for the game and your opinion, we have worked on NHL20 at the time for get a better game gameplay wise…

With about 20 hours in 23 I can honestly say, that I will never touch NHL22 again ! And god knows how many things I've done to make 22 better…

I've seen sooooo many improvements in the AI in the way they play, the goalies have never been better, the DMen are in a normal state after being zombies in 22…

Yes I have my sliders exactly where I want them, and as you know me, I like to play my game as hardcore as possible… No pass assist, no hit assist, hitting power on 2 out of 100, no hud, player lock and action cam to name a few…

I will give a detailed review pretty soon and post my slider set also, but for right now, to me this is the best gameplay I've ever seen in the NHL franchise…. Of course not OOTB 😉

Oh and the hitting is a thing of beauty this year (remember I play with 0 assist and 2 power) I was on the fence when I started like you, felt like something was up… BUT, it's the AI sometimes that gets out of a check, the animation to defend themselves if you will, to shrug a check. Even with my settings, if I align myself perfectly, with the right player of course, I can send guys off their skates !
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)

Last edited by PernellKarl076; 10-17-2022 at 03:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »