Home

NHL 15 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (Xbox One, PS4)

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (Xbox One, PS4) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #369
Rookie

jonapaloma's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 15 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (Xbox One, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
The problem is goalies can only seem to do one thing at a time. He can't push off the post (Ignoring the fact that they don't push off in game, they just move laterally with no effort) and simultaneously drop his pads, block the five hole with his stick, and get a glove up to make himself big, he has to drop. Then start to move. Then react to the shot. There's no fluidity, and it leads to goofy looking desperation saves, and players that never realistically go out of position, but frequently let in bonehead goals.
Like many other things goalies hasnt been changed or redone in a long time, as you all know. And they have always been one of the weak links in the NHL series. I guess this is how its gonna be for a long time.

But i guess money rules which is to bad but a reality
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #370
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_maclean24

I am wondering, what camera/settings do you use when you are playing the demo?

I have been using the dynamic low with auto zoom off the most. But I can use anything that shows up and down attack. I tried the broadcast stuff for a moment and I just can't get my mind to work with the views to work the controls properly after being conditioned for the past how many years this other way.

My main issue is that I like a very low camera that is close to the ice. But I like a good zoom so that I can see what is in front of me, but I like to see a lot of the ice for passing too. So when I am deep in the offensive zone if I cannot see the points then I am handicapping myself. I need to see passing lanes and I would like to pass to spaces better if possible.

There is no great camera for how I would like to play. When I shoot from the point I would like a zoom for the scramble in front. Sometimes it is so hard to find the puck on low if it is near or behind the goalie. I also cannot see the puck on the boards in my low D zone. Making dump-ins by the CPU a challenge at times because I cannot see exactly where the puck is or if it is hopping around.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #371
MVP

canucksss's Arena

for my sake, i've tried many times the Demo and still not finding the NZ defense others are saying and the penalties are so few unless I commit it intentionally.

sigh! can't wait for the early access impressions so i could move on and look forward to other games like nba 2k15 if NHL15 is just a port in terms of gameplays and BaGM offlin mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #372
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

The demo is fine even though this game hasn't changed much in seven years, but the demo itself aggravates me.

I can't change any sliders, can't keep any settings, three minutes per period seriously feels like three minutes in all, and for the life of me I can't score in a shootout nor can I win any face-offs.

I actually am curious about the latter. How in the hell do you win a face-off? I might be 0-for-ever so far in the demo, and in NHL 09 (which I own) I couldn't win many either.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #373
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
for my sake, i've tried many times the Demo and still not finding the NZ defense others are saying and the penalties are so few unless I commit it intentionally.

sigh! can't wait for the early access impressions so i could move on and look forward to other games like nba 2k15 if NHL15 is just a port in terms of gameplays and BaGM offlin mode.
I think that 2 minute periods is not enough to get a feel for much. Penalties especially.

But in regards to penalties; you won't see many unless you are hitting the buttons that cause them. I call the lift stick button the "penalty button". That and poke checking cause the most penalties for a human. Other than going around and just hitting people for no reason you won't see much. There just are not that many penalties programmed into the game still. And you have to be super aggressive or have players with bad ratings to see them occur.

As for the CPU taking them. Once again you have to give the AI a reason to take one. Play keep away, set up in their zone for a long period of time and make them get tired and scrambling out of position. With 2 minute periods that is hard to accomplish. That and the fact that most people just come flying into the zone and make a move and shoot. That does't give the CPU a chance to take a penalty or the desperation.

All of that doesn't take away from the issue that the sliders really don't work in this series, historically speaking. And increasing the penalty slider doesn't seem to increase the likelihood of penalties being called for most people.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #374
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

On another aside, has anyone seen pucks going into the stands really at all?

The only time I see it is into the benches or when a clear goes over for a penalty. I never see a blocked shot or deflection go over. The new puck physics are great, but it doesn't really seem to allow for pucks going over the glass off of a hard object, like a blocker on a goalie. Hopefully this can be fixed because pucks go out a lot in real hockey.

Last edited by bigwill33; 08-30-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #375
MVP

Hockeynut99's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I have been using the dynamic low with auto zoom off the most. But I can use anything that shows up and down attack. I tried the broadcast stuff for a moment and I just can't get my mind to work with the views to work the controls properly after being conditioned for the past how many years this other way.

My main issue is that I like a very low camera that is close to the ice. But I like a good zoom so that I can see what is in front of me, but I like to see a lot of the ice for passing too. So when I am deep in the offensive zone if I cannot see the points then I am handicapping myself. I need to see passing lanes and I would like to pass to spaces better if possible.

There is no great camera for how I would like to play. When I shoot from the point I would like a zoom for the scramble in front. Sometimes it is so hard to find the puck on low if it is near or behind the goalie. I also cannot see the puck on the boards in my low D zone. Making dump-ins by the CPU a challenge at times because I cannot see exactly where the puck is or if it is hopping around.

I like action. Because I can't see the whole ice or people behind me. It will be cool if you can turn your head back to see behind u like in real life
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #376
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut99
I like action. Because I can't see the whole ice or people behind me. It will be cool if you can turn your head back to see behind u like in real life
VR headset someday.. Lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »