Home

Penalties

This is a discussion on Penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #33
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster1
Can you post your sliders please.
Basically AlTitos in your slider section located at the end of the aisle with my own little tweaks but I think he adjusted my issues

See you really have to earn them or do something to get them as I just stole the puck broke away and the cpu had to trip me and I got a PP chance coming .

Now off subject its kinda like madden and everyone wanting real penalties but that could really screw up gameplay ect especially with Pass Interference so I think of it as a extra and not the main course so thats why its limited and not really a click slider individual thing in NHL like a slider for tripping , slashing ect as it would screw up the AI ect over the long haul .

Sorry if I rambled but its a fine line kinda thing IMO , like if you over poke checked or bumped a WR in Madden and ever little thing was a penalty especially in a shortened 10 min period game , you might unleash a whole bunch of issues to get 100% realism so I like the vagueness and having to earn most of them and Im not even figuring in online as its blended for both .

Could you imagine Madden online lol with 100 % accurate penalties like pass interference what a nightmare and the same with NHL so in this case less is more .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-13-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #34
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Basically AlTitos in your slider section located at the end of the aisle with my own little tweaks but I think he adjusted my issues

See you really have to earn them or do something to get them as I just stole the puck broke away and the cpu had to trip me and I got a PP chance coming .

Now off subject its kinda like madden and everyone wanting real penalties but that could really screw up gameplay ect especially with Pass Interference so I think of it as a extra and not the main course so thats why its limited and not really a click slider individual thing in NHL like a slider for tripping , slashing ect as it would screw up the AI ect over the long haul .

Sorry if I rambled but its a fine line kinda thing IMO , like if you over poke checked or bumped a WR in Madden and ever little thing was a penalty especially in a shortened 10 min period game , you might unleash a whole bunch of issues to get 100% realism so I like the vagueness and having to earn most of them and Im not even figuring in online as its blended for both .

Could you imagine Madden online lol with 100 % accurate penalties like pass interference what a nightmare and the same with NHL so in this case less is more .
However, since there are penalty sliders within the game and if EA would just make them work like they logically should, every customer could play the game how they want and how realistic they want. Therefore, everyone is served well. Put the slider in the middle to represent typical NHL averages. Put the slider lower to represent less penalties. Put the slider up higher to represent more penalties. The game would then also take into consideration the amount of minutes being played and the penalty scaling slider. All the right options and sliders are present, they just don't do what they should. Seems quite simple approach, if EA would actually make them work.

Can't understand why anyone would object to this approach since everyone could play the game how they would like. However as the game stands now, we are forced to play it the way EA wants us to which for most of us trying to get realistic penalties (3-4 per team per game on average) is not possible.

And saying you should have to play the game in a certain way doesn't really work since you can only control what your human players do. The AI for your team players and the AI for the opponent is out of your control. Sure, I could turn aggression way up and hit power way up and my controlled player can go on a rampage and probably pick up some cheap penalties. But that does nothing to get the CPU players to take the appropriate kinds and numbers of penalties.

Again, the key is to make the actual included penalty sliders work and all this goes away. I know this won't be fixed in this version or likely any future version which I have just come to accept.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #35
Rookie

Simaofan-20's Arena

OVR: 1

I've found that with each game its different. Some games there will be little to no penalties, then others there's a lot. Although I think there have been more games with fewer than more penalties so I'll keep more of an eye on it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

I get great penalty results using al titos sliders on superstar. 2-4 per game both teams. I cant complain.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #37
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Thumbs up Re: Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
However, since there are penalty sliders within the game and if EA would just make them work like they logically should, every customer could play the game how they want and how realistic they want. Therefore, everyone is served well. Put the slider in the middle to represent typical NHL averages. Put the slider lower to represent less penalties. Put the slider up higher to represent more penalties. The game would then also take into consideration the amount of minutes being played and the penalty scaling slider. All the right options and sliders are present, they just don't do what they should. Seems quite simple approach, if EA would actually make them work.

Can't understand why anyone would object to this approach since everyone could play the game how they would like. However as the game stands now, we are forced to play it the way EA wants us to which for most of us trying to get realistic penalties (3-4 per team per game on average) is not possible.

And saying you should have to play the game in a certain way doesn't really work since you can only control what your human players do. The AI for your team players and the AI for the opponent is out of your control. Sure, I could turn aggression way up and hit power way up and my controlled player can go on a rampage and probably pick up some cheap penalties. But that does nothing to get the CPU players to take the appropriate kinds and numbers of penalties.

Again, the key is to make the actual included penalty sliders work and all this goes away. I know this won't be fixed in this version or likely any future version which I have just come to accept.
Well said!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 0

I agree with the above post.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
While that is true to an extent, I've found that unlike in NHL 13 and 14, I'm no longer having to try and trigger CPU penalties. They just naturally occur as I'm doing my thing on offense trying to get a good scoring opportunity.

The past 2 years, I would sometimes pass the puck around in the offensive zone more than necessary for the sake of trying to get the CPU to get a penalty.

I've played a few more games with the setup I posted earlier in the thread and started my Be a GM. I just finished my second game in which I had 6 powerplays to the CPU's 4. In my first game each team had 2 power plays. These numbers match what I was getting in Play Now before starting my Be a GM.

It's still a small sample size but so far the penalty numbers are really good, maybe even a tad high as very few teams average 4 PPs per game in real life (the highest average PPs per game was 3.58 last year). I also like the variety in penalty distribution from game to game. Some games have a lot, others have very few and it's not always the user or CPU getting more.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #40
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
While that is true to an extent, I've found that unlike in NHL 13 and 14, I'm no longer having to try and trigger CPU penalties. They just naturally occur as I'm doing my thing on offense trying to get a good scoring opportunity.

The past 2 years, I would sometimes pass the puck around in the offensive zone more than necessary for the sake of trying to get the CPU to get a penalty.

I've played a few more games with the setup I posted earlier in the thread and started my Be a GM. I just finished my second game in which I had 6 powerplays to the CPU's 4. In my first game each team had 2 power plays. These numbers match what I was getting in Play Now before starting my Be a GM.

It's still a small sample size but so far the penalty numbers are really good, maybe even a tad high as very few teams average 4 PPs per game in real life (the highest average PPs per game was 3.58 last year). I also like the variety in penalty distribution from game to game. Some games have a lot, others have very few and it's not always the user or CPU getting more.
But the question is, how many times are you seeing those good results (3-4 PP per team per game) versus not seeing them? In my experience, you might get a couple of reasonable games like that but by in large your more likely to get games that only get a total of 2-3 pp (both teams combined) and if you do get lucky and get a bunch, usually you get way more called on the human player versus CPU. I think it is very rare in the NHL where there are only 1-2 pp that happen total in a game. Certainly they can happen, but not very frequently.

Trust me, I want to play this game but I just nowhere see the results that need to be consistent for me to enjoy it. It will be interesting to see after you complete a full season of playing every game what your special team stats look like.....I personally believe they will be well below the NHL average and the other teams in your league that are simulated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »