Home

Penalties

This is a discussion on Penalties within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #65
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Maxing out the aggression results in even more horrid computer AI. Making it a cake walk through the defense as they jump out at you and constantly miss if you know the least of what you are doing.

The penalty sliders in this game have not functioned in the way that one would expect for years now. It is an oft-mentioned issue. Part of it is that EA bases it on playing 20 minute periods, which is antiquated to say the least. It is just one more thing that needs to be addressed in moving forward with the NHL series.

In the interim you can bump up all of the CPU penalty sliders for starters and work on puck possession. That is the most sure fire way to see results. The next place you may want to venture is bumping up the poke check and stick lifts as that usually results in more stick infractions. This comes at an obvious cost, of course.

That is about it for now.
So you have saw what Im talking about with my penalty adjustment ???
I love a challenge so Ill give aggression a try in a bit and see what I get at 3 then 4 and 5 as I see your point on cpu defensive positioning a bit but its so dang fun on near default and win and lose Im having great games and stats .

Are you 100% sure about EA basing penalties off of 20 min periods ?

Im ok with with the other sliders on default other than I mentioned as Im not trying to go against what EA NHL have created as it just doesnt work that well for me as Im not trying to paint a perfect picture as I see EVERYTHING on near default anyway and then some especially penalties and types too as I really rather play and have fun and not nitpick .

If I ever wanted to increase cpu pressure on me I used to increase cpu puck intercept slider but Ill try the aggression test soon and maybe it will work on 3 ?

UPDATE : Ok I tried cpu aggression at 4 and I still got 6 PP in 2 games but more scripted and not earned and the cpu played better position hockey but they only had 4 pp and this is with 8 min periods so maybe cpu aggression doesnt need to be adjust that high , Thanks Will

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-18-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
So you have saw what Im talking about with my penalty adjustment ???
I love a challenge so Ill give aggression a try in a bit and see what I get at 3 then 4 and 5 as I see your point on cpu defensive positioning a bit but its so dang fun on near default and win and lose Im having great games and stats .

Are you 100% sure about EA basing penalties off of 20 min periods ?

Im ok with with the other sliders on default other than I mentioned as Im not trying to go against what EA NHL have created as it just doesnt work that well for me as Im not trying to paint a perfect picture as I see EVERYTHING on near default anyway and then some especially penalties and types too as I really rather play and have fun and not nitpick .

If I ever wanted to increase cpu pressure on me I used to increase cpu puck intercept slider but Ill try the aggression test soon and maybe it will work on 3 ?

UPDATE : Ok I tried cpu aggression at 4 and I still got 6 PP in 2 games but more scripted and not earned and the cpu played better position hockey but they only had 4 pp and this is with 8 min periods so maybe cpu aggression doesnt need to be adjust that high , Thanks Will
You say the same thing over and over, regardless if you play on Pro, Allstar, Superstar, default sliders, minimum tweaks, maximum tweaks (i.e. you swear on putting several sliders at 6/6). You make a little tweak or change and you make 20 posts about it and act like you unlocked something.

Just like in The Show, you're usually flat out wrong and just reacting to one game samples or placebo effects.

Just take a deep breath, formulate coherent sentences so we understand what you're trying to say. It's hard to follow your settings/sliders/tweaks.

I apologize if I sound mean, that's not my intent.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #67
MVP

I tried Superstar just for sh1ts and giggles, and surprisingly i drew 4 power plays, including a 5-3.

I think the poster that mentioned to try Superstar is on to something.

This was on Hardcore sliders, 10 minutes, and I only changed the Penalty settings to max (for both in general, and the ones under AI).

I've concluded that the Aggression and Poke Check and Stick Lift sliders have no effect on penalties.

I've also concluded that for sure All-star and Pro, penalties are basically broken.

I will keep testing Superstar to see if it's consistent.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #68
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Ok BigWill , I have a larger sample size in and cpu aggression really isnt the issue as it been on 6 most of the time but the huge slider that has caused me more penalties , less PP and lower scoring games is the attribute effect slider which is at 5 on default but I moved it to 3 for more realistic results and Im really struggling so that is my key slider for keeping things near default so thanks again for challenging me in a constructive manner your Aces

UPDATE :Just got a 4 on 3 power after I jumped in a fight for Toews and my guys drawing penalties are the skill players !

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-18-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Ok BigWill , I have a larger sample size in and cpu aggression really isnt the issue as it been on 6 most of the time but the huge slider that has caused me more penalties , less PP and lower scoring games is the attribute effect slider which is at 5 on default but I moved it to 3 for more realistic results and Im really struggling so that is my key slider for keeping things near default so thanks again for challenging me in a constructive manner your Aces

UPDATE :Just got a 4 on 3 power after I jumped in a fight for Toews and my guys drawing penalties are the skill players !
Ah, so now you moved on to the Attributes Slider as being the key to the secret unlock for the wow game

Why did you change your screen name Dorismary?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #70
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Ah, so now you moved on to the Attributes Slider as being the key to the secret unlock for the wow game

Why did you change your screen name Dorismary?
Lol. Sham wow, as I have taken to calling him, is nothing more than a troll. He blows up several threads with the sane nonsense over and over. He is lucky Al Tito appears to be an easy going guy because Sham totally hi-jacked his slider thread posting his own sliders (which he claims are the best but have changed a dozen times since) which has historically been a no-no to do. I have no problem with someone posting constructive and helpful info or even enjoying the game but he has lost all credibility. He has gone from maxing sliders, to superstar, to default, etc etc and each time the game is the best ever. Has anyone noticed that each time one of us responds about lack of penalties he posts the greatest game ever and the number of power plays he gets goes up each time. It's a flat out lie. He is either mentally ill or a douche. If he was for real he would create his own slider thread and post his nonsense in there instead of over posting the same idiotic crap in several threads. I'm sorry I don't usually call anyone out and for the most part everyone on here are good guys but Sham Wow is just an annoying troll EA fanboy.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #71
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Lol. Sham wow, as I have taken to calling him, is nothing more than a troll. He blows up several threads with the sane nonsense over and over. He is lucky Al Tito appears to be an easy going guy because Sham totally hi-jacked his slider thread posting his own sliders (which he claims are the best but have changed a dozen times since) which has historically been a no-no to do. I have no problem with someone posting constructive and helpful info or even enjoying the game but he has lost all credibility. He has gone from maxing sliders, to superstar, to default, etc etc and each time the game is the best ever. Has anyone noticed that each time one of us responds about lack of penalties he posts the greatest game ever and the number of power plays he gets goes up each time. It's a flat out lie. He is either mentally ill or a douche. If he was for real he would create his own slider thread and post his nonsense in there instead of over posting the same idiotic crap in several threads. I'm sorry I don't usually call anyone out and for the most part everyone on here are good guys but Sham Wow is just an annoying troll EA fanboy.
yep, pretty much. I kind of laid low when he accused me for speaking for everyone (after I mentioned certain people I was trying to address). I'm sorry , the gameplay may be good (which I doubt from AI videos of I've seen) but this is 2014. This isn't NES era where gaming technology is rather new. The current gen consoles are miles behind PCs. When ONE product out of your lineup can't figure it out that's a problem. Madden 25 had all the game modes, FIFA had all the game modes. I know those make more and have a bigger budget, but FIFA is in the same building. They couldn't get some help.

I guess I will take his advice and play strat-o-matic hockey because I am the only one who wants penalties, stick on stick collisions, ratings to matter, competent AI and a world of game modes in the archaic age of 2014. There I go again speaking for everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #72
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Way to soon to tell but somehow in my last 2 games I have had 5 power plays in one and 6 in another. I took 5 in one and 3 in another. The only thing I did is switch to Superstar and I have tinkered with my sliders so much that Im not sure what the hell I have going on right now.....lol. I will do a few more games before I get to giddy and see how they turn out. My second game the CPU had a very low shot total (only 12) so if that becomes the norm this would be no good but the first game I was out shot 32 - 28. Here is to hoping but I'm not optimistic

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »