Home

NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #33
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
To everyone not buying this game because of the missing game modes, Walmart will most likely give you 40 dollars for this game into November/December so if you buy it for 60 dollars, play it for a month or two it would only really cost you 20 dollars. It makes no sense not to buy it if you were planning on buying it to begin with
Unless you live in New York City like I do, where there IS no Walmart.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #34
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
Unless you live in New York City like I do, where there IS no Walmart.
Doesn't Target have a similar program? You could always hit up the Target at the Atlantic Centre in Park Slope. Pretty convenient. Have had to use it for various reasons over the past year while there on work.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #35
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict
I mentioned this in my previous post. There is precedent for both previous next gen EA games (madden, fifa) but that does NOT justify having all the game modes in NHL (it does justify a price decrease however). Expectations need to be drawn from EA Sports NHL's previous foray into a new console market, not other franchises.

And regarding last year's Madden, it was just a glossy version of Madden 25 on PS3/360. Not a big upgrade in any way, IMO. Fifa 14 however, was a gem that will make it hard to recommend purchasing another Fifa game for years.
And prior to that games didn't have online or franchise. Should we accept that with the same rationale if a game cut those modes from their game? No we wouldn't. Because we've advanced. Expecting a modern sports games to have the modes it has had in previous iterations (new gen or not) is not a crazy thought.

And my point in mentioning Madden and Fifa on PS4/X1 is that both games didn't have to cut modes out. And the whole reason there was no next-gen NHL 14 was so that they could take the extra time to work on NHL 15. For that effort, we got an incomplete game with promises of patches to include some of the missing things.

Never mind game modes, how do you release an NHL game that doesn't have the Three Stars of the Game. Little exclusions like that are inexcusable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3
Great review Glenn, I agree with all your points, particularly with the way the puck physics have subtly changed the game for the better with more realistic bobbled passes and bounces.

I'm not sure I'm with you on your HUT cynicism. I think that's a pretty popular mode (judging by the amount of active teams that were in the NHL 14 leaderboards), on top of that I feel like it's a pretty bare bones mode, lacking the complex logic and simulation that is involved with BAGM, or the 6v6 gameplay of OTP/EASHL (remember how often those most crashed in NHL09?). HUT is mostly a random card generator and a custom roster maker with some stats, and an online auction system.

I'm one of those guys happy with just playing 1v1 online and the gameplay feels solid, but I definitely feel for everyone else. It's unacceptable for EA to have allowed such a stripped down game to ship.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #37
Rookie

Leafs fan 2112's Arena

Icon8 Re: NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Exactly how I feel about the game. I don't think I'd pay more that $25 for the game in it's current state. But here in Canada they want $69.99.
Yea and if you add in the tax its $79.09. Now with games like destiny,the new dragon age, and assassin's creed unity. How does EA justify selling us this when there are far more option than a bare bones game? At the very least, they should've delayed it. I would've been happier if they delayed it than to give us this.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
And prior to that games didn't have online or franchise. Should we accept that with the same rationale if a game cut those modes from their game? No we wouldn't. Because we've advanced. Expecting a modern sports games to have the modes it has had in previous iterations (new gen or not) is not a crazy thought.

And my point in mentioning Madden and Fifa on PS4/X1 is that both games didn't have to cut modes out. And the whole reason there was no next-gen NHL 14 was so that they could take the extra time to work on NHL 15. For that effort, we got an incomplete game with promises of patches to include some of the missing things.

Never mind game modes, how do you release an NHL game that doesn't have the Three Stars of the Game. Little exclusions like that are inexcusable.
You and several others clearly have unrealistic expectations. It's not just EA that comes across these types of issues when transitioning to a new console (gameplay over gameplay modes). Show me a yearly franchise that isn't a glossy port or a stripped down version of last gen. NBA 2K14 is missing several modes, is glitchy as hell to the point of frustration, and menu design is terrible. Call of Duty is just a glossy port. MLB the Show is missing several modes, and on and on and on. Only Fifa comes away on top and that my friend, is the only exception.

As for your other points, NHL 15 was mostly a one year cycle with most dev time spent on 360/PS3 during NHL 14 (check out Rammer's interview on this site). Also, three stars is not a game-breaker for me or anyone else. It's going to be added to the game anyways VIA patch, so it's not worth complaining about at all. It's like saying there are no nation anthems. Who cares.

People need to realize that gameplay is what drives a sports sim game like NHL. Therefore it makes sense to prioritize gameplay over more game modes. Want your old modes back? Go play NHL 15 for last gen and wait for NHL 16 to drop. Think NHL 15 is too expensive (you are probably right), wait for it to become cheap or trade in a game towards it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #39
Rookie

Does anyone know if the dev team encountered some major problems when trying to make this game? It seems like their might have been some issue where bad code crashed what they were doing and the team had to double back and spend copious amounts of time fixing the bugs. It's the only explanation I can think of, because I sincerely think I remember EA saying they were skipping NHL 14 on next gen to have extra time to get the game right.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #40
Banned

twelveone's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict
It's perfectly reasonable for fans to be upset that several game modes didn't make it into this years game, but I feel that too many people feel entitled as EA has spoiled us with a plethora of game modes in the past few years. The fact is, there are still a lot of game modes to play and should be enough to keep most gamers occupied for awhile. It does suck however that GM mode is incomplete and has to be patched, but I would rather have the game tomorrow then wait an extra month for it.

The problem I have is the same thing everyone else is complaining about. This shouldn't be a full priced game. Those who have bought or pre-ordered the game should at LEAST get some free HUT stuff or a free subscription to EA access for a year. A precedent (regarding games modes transferred over from last gen) was set with the next-gen Fifa and Madden games last year, so it's easy to see why people are upset. Lucky for me, I pre-ordered NHL on Amazon during their E3 sale while the game was still 59 dollars (plus 15% off).

Hopefully, EA listens to their fans and is planning something special (I.E. more content updates). The NHL team is usually quite good with fan input and and their community.
I don't want free HUT packs or free EA Access, I want the game modes that have been coming with the game for the past 7 years. Hopefully EA listens to their fans??? Were you born yesterday or did you just start playing video games a week ago? The NHL team hasn't listened to their community since 2005.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »