Home

NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #57
Rookie

enice128's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

I completely understand how a lot of people feel regarding the game launching with very important modes not included. However, myself as a huge hockey fan am in love with the new upgrades such as presentation especially with the addition of my 2 fav commentators. Gameplay still needs some work but c'mon people....it's a f****g video game! I love the nhl way too much to not be playing this game & I know what a lot u r gonna say.....that I'm giving in to EA by purchasing this game at launch, a game which is flawed & incomplete. My main point being is that just watch......when this game is finally updated by i believe in Oct with all of its modes all the haters & bashers will eventually purchase......I promise!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #58
Rookie

enice128's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99
I'm still getting it.

The commitment to add missing modes works for me. If they bring back the AHL games/management to Be-A-GM, that will satisfy 95% of what I get out of the NHL series, since I don't really spend a lot of time with online play or EA's cash cow (HUT).

So I'll play two GM seasons this year, start with the bare bones one, then start over when they fix it.

If people want to boycott, that's understandable. But let's hit them where it hurts. A one-year boycott on microtransaction purchase across all EA games.
Haha...me too!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #59
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapyD
My guess is their contract with the NHL specifies a "full-priced" retail release.
I would imagine it's either a certain percentage of sales or a set amount of money every year, not so much a set price for the game.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #60
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
And that was then. When Madden and FIFA hit next-gen, they managed to get everything in and add things like coach glass, etc.
I think FIFA and Madden have a bigger dev team and bigger budget though. Also I think that Madden 25 on the Xbox One was basically a port from the 360 because they didn't do much with the graphics game play unlike Madden 15 where you can see they actually used the power of the new consoles, I would expect FIFA 15 will be he same where we will see them dig into the power of the new consoles. Next year I would expect Madden 15 and FIFA 15 to do that even more.

As for NHL 15 I think they will keep patching in modes as they can while they recreate them for NHL 16 as I expect NHL 16 to basically be this years play and presentation with all the missing stuff added back in. They will leave some stuff out of 15 for sure to make us by 16 to get everything back we missed from 15.

Last edited by SGMRock; 09-09-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #61
Rookie

BCDX97's Arena

OVR: 4
Seems like the reviewer went in wanting to complain about stuff and so he complained.

I wonder how many people here actually play sports video games and how many just complain about them on the internet.

Before the internet, did you all sit around with your friends complaining about games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #62
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDX97
Seems like the reviewer went in wanting to complain about stuff and so he complained.

I wonder how many people here actually play sports video games and how many just complain about them on the internet.

Before the internet, did you all sit around with your friends complaining about games?
Of course he would complain about stuff, there's a legit beef there.

And for the record, I play sports games all the time. Played Madden earlier today, NHL 14 last night. Have been getting NHL Day 1 for a long time and still own NHL 94.

Last edited by statnut; 09-09-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Most of the outrage would have been quelled if they released the game for $29.99 or $39.99. Most of us would have still bought it on day 1 and accepted that it was basically a very beautiful but limited game and happily waited for the content updates to make it at least somewhat playable. Some of us even would have paid for DLC like a full featured GM Mode. EAC messed up monumentally with this in two ways, charging full price for half a game and complete breakdown in communication.

EXACTLY! I look at games like recently released The Golf Club which sells for $34.99. It, like NHL 15, intend to add more post release but it is priced accordingly both as a lesser game and being from a smaller studio. Similarly, when Gran Turismo Prologue arrived, it was reduced significantly in price due to the amount of content. That NHL 15 is being sold for full price adds to the already established "money grubbing" reputation of EA.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #64
Rookie

8iron's Arena

OVR: 2
This strikes me as nothing but EA hate. Everyone on these boards is fawning over the Golf Club (probably deservedly), for focusing on game play and not putting in a bunch of fluff that would have sacrificed quality game play.

EA Canada made decisions to use the resources they had to produce a game that the most people would enjoy. They came right out and said they had data that one mode they axed didn't get played all that much. Huff huff but they got in HUT...yeah...people like HUT. UT is a microtransaction champ for EA because people love it.

I'm not the typical OSer...I believe however that I'm much more the typical EA franchise buyer. I play Ultimate Team until contracts would cost me money, then I play a few seasons as GM or player. I wish a few things were different in every game (more frequent penalties would be nice in all of them) but those absences don't ruin the experience for me.

$60 is too much for almost every game. $120 is certainly too much to pay for COD every year but tons of people do it. Plenty of people pay $60 a year for "roster updates" in one or more sports games of their choice. And they play Play Now games or they go online and "cheese" and have a ton of fun doing it, then they trade in this year's copy next year for a few bucks off the next roster update.

People on boards like this are delusional with their inaccurate sneakers rage and their missing modes meltdowns. Its become impossible to get accurate information about whether the game itself is actually fun. I think the fact that most of you seem to need so many bells and whistles to distract you suggests that for you, the answer is no.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »