Home

excessive disk access with Retail copy?

This is a discussion on excessive disk access with Retail copy? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
excessive disk access with Retail copy?

So I decided to get the "Retail" version rather than digital for this item since I am not a huge hockey fan and figured I might end up trading it at some point. Most of my games are digital so I can practically leave it in the PS4 all the time anyway.

My experience with disk based games is the PS4 accesses the drive when the game launches to verify that you "own" the disk. I can hear the drive spin up. Usually within 4-5 minutes of launching the title, I hear the drive spin down and then it never accesses it again as the games access the hard drive directly after this.

Well with NHL 15 last night, several hours after I inserted the disk, the game was accessing the disk while I was playing. Almost like it was seeking and looking for play by play or something. It did not seem to have an effect on the game itself....but I found it distracting to hear it spinning up to speed and spinning down over and over.

Has anyone with a hard copy experienced this? I am pretty sure the game was completely installed. When sitting at the main PS4 menu and looking at the "NHL 15" tile there is a disk icon to the right (showing the disk is inserted) and to the left a constant spinning circle (the kind you would associate with loading). However the properties of the game say 23GB and does not indicate that it is being installed in any way. The update was also downloaded and installed as well.

Can anyone weigh in on this? I'd prefer to not hear my drive getting accessed over and over if at all possible.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Rookie

moosebaloney's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: excessive disk access with Retail copy?

I just purchased a PS4 last week and have two games (NBA 2k14 and NHL 15). Both act similar to the PS3, where most of the content is loaded off the game disk. I hear my optical drive rev after every goal, replay and intermission. Otherwise, there is the constant low speed hum.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebaloney
I just purchased a PS4 last week and have two games (NBA 2k14 and NHL 15). Both act similar to the PS3, where most of the content is loaded off the game disk. I hear my optical drive rev after every goal, replay and intermission. Otherwise, there is the constant low speed hum.
All of the content is supposed to be loaded off of the optical drive after install. The only reason the PS4 should be accessing the optical drive is to verify ownership. In all the other titles I have physically owned, the PS4 checks the optical disk once when the game loads, then spins down and never gets accessed again during gameplay. This is how NBA2k14 worked as well....but I recently traded that in.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could NHL be doing random "checks" to make sure the game is in the drive?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I noticed this last night that it makes a periodic, fairly loud spin once in a while that I have never seen happen with any other games. Glad I'm not alone. I was worried about my ps4.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Rookie

moosebaloney's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
All of the content is supposed to be loaded off of the optical drive after install. The only reason the PS4 should be accessing the optical drive is to verify ownership. In all the other titles I have physically owned, the PS4 checks the optical disk once when the game loads, then spins down and never gets accessed again during gameplay. This is how NBA2k14 worked as well....but I recently traded that in.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Could NHL be doing random "checks" to make sure the game is in the drive?
That's for the clarification. Sorry if I misdirected you. I could have sworn the sound I was hearing was the optical drive. Is the HDD or fans especially loud?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebaloney
That's for the clarification. Sorry if I misdirected you. I could have sworn the sound I was hearing was the optical drive. Is the HDD or fans especially loud?
I think the sound you were hearing is the optical drive actually. In my experience this is the only game that does this. Others never access the drive after initial starting of game.
I may have to see about returning the game and buy it digitally instead....I know that is crazy, but I don't know if I can deal with the whining up and down all game long. I'll give it another try after work and see if its any better than I remember.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Rookie

Garism's Arena

OVR: 2

Thank god it isn't just me.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

^ me too.......

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »