Home

HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it?

This is a discussion on HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #25
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 eighty 5
Whilst I respect where you are coming from I don't think the practice is 'unfair'. Is it a money spinner? Absolutely. It is an in game monetization scheme and whilst I personally don't like its inclusion in the game (and aren't interested in the whole HUT concept, never play it), I don't think you can tell people who do play it that it is unfair because the ones who do play it I am certain already know what the scheme does and whom it favours. There is no smoke and mirrors about it.

But it is no different to paying for boosts in EASHL.

I don't like its inclusion because I don't like the direction in-game monetization schemes can potentially lead gaming to. I'd hate to see it become the norm that buying the disk or the digital content is only half of the equation, to access game features we have to pay for them. Imagine if in the future, say NHL 22 comes out and by that time it has all the features it has ever had and more but to play any of them you have to unlock them via a fee??!! Imagine having to pay to unlock the 'Play Now' feature??!! Imagine threads on OS that go like this 'So what modes will you unlock first?' It is for the potentially scary future in gaming that I detest in game monetization.

Apart from everything I just said...carry on old Charles.

I highly doubt that HUT is a prelude to the worst case gaming senariao you are describing. It is simply a money grab playing on three really fun hobbies many people enjoy, namely fantasy sports, collecting and economics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #26
MVP

DHMN69's Arena

OVR: 4

I haven't called HUT 'unfair' really.. just so unbalanced between players who buy and those who don't.. why not instead of divisions .. starting at division 10.. match teams by the players in their lineups and rank them in online HUT play that way so one division 10 player isn't a 95 OVR against a 65 OVR.

On my first HUT team, the one I deleted, the first few games I looked like a Pee Wee team (middle school age) going against an NHL team based on the size of the players alone and got thrown around by huge checks because of it.. hard to call it unfair because it's the way the game is set up, it's just impossible to be competitive against the players with the 90+ ratings when you get 600-800 coin per game played and the jumbo packs that can actually help you cost so much.

Having just ONE 90+ rated player plus a goaltender can completely take over a game against a lot of us who don't have THOSE players. When you combine the 90+ player with another and a bunch of 86-90's look out.

XBox: DHMNPhotos
Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #27
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHMN69
Just got my butt kicked (6-0) by another stacked team.. outshot 64-16.. NEVER seen numbers like that.. I couldn't get into the offensive zone thanks to defensemen who took the puck away at the blue line over and over again with poke checks.. it wasn't even knocking the puck off my stick.. it was actually putting it on THEIR tape and off they went.. never experienced that before.

I'd love to know what Ryan Miller would go for in auction in this game.. because this guy had him and I've not seen him up for auction EVER and haven't even played against him until the lopsided blowout.. not even for one of those obscene 500k auctions people do just to show off what they have.

This team since I deleted the first one .. is 3-20-3 and stuck in division 10 STILL and I see no way to get 6 points in 10 games with 1 player 86 rating and every other player I have between 79 and 85 with most 82/83. My only 86 is Sakera, a defenseman.. 3 85's and 4 84's on offense. Team overall is 82 Offense 84 Defense 86 Goaltending.. without buying offense I don't think I'll ever win
You can't blame your team for this record man. I mean, you have a good enough team to get lots of wins. You obviously need to practice your finish/goal scoring skills. Maybe work on your strategies too. Basically, I have a feeling your record would be as bad playing online versus than it is in HUT.

* Hit the practice rink and learn how to score 80%+ times on the breakaway (it's very easy this year). The backhand is sooo overpowered this year, you have to master it ASAP.

* Learn the new dekes (there was an EA sports video) and *when* to use them. Avoid becoming predictable on your deking.

* Whenever you let in a goal, NOTICE what your error was, and adjust accordingly.

** 80% of people only (esp. in div 10), are soooo predictable : the way they score their first goal is the way they'll try to score again and again and again, as if they were instantly conditioned to score in a single way. Learn the counter to their main strategy.

* Don't get frustrated and keep having fun.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #28
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1

I've never put a dime into HUT. My record right now is 20-6. I don't quite think it's pay to win....
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 3

Posted on Reddit regarding HUT: (edited to take away strong language)

" I have an ideological objection to pay to win being a part of any full price retail game. Actually any game that isn't free. But with no modes to play in next gen I swallowed my pride, along with a fair bit of (edited), in order to play HUT in NHL 15.

Started out fun - honestly thought I could get every card in the game if I worked hard enough at it. Got to div 8 on the starter pack. Had a cry in this subreddit at how OP every one else's team was. Got good advice and picked up a bunch of cheap 80-84 players. Just got to div 7. Finally got enough coins to get a gold pack by grinding auction house. Hoping to get an 87-88 that I could sell for enough to get another pack. Got 77,80,81 and a bunch of (edited). In theory HUT is a fun mode that can be played without spending money.

OK, so if I've got 19 gold players each with 13 game contracts that cost 200 each, then I need to spend 3800 on contract renewals over a 13 game period. In that time I should earn around 11000. 13 games takes 6 hours to play (+crashes), so I'm not making more than 1200 per hour at best. Minus expenses and injuries then I maybe have enough to get a gold pack every 13 games. All the while knowing that things could be easier in every game if I just accepted the (edited but lol on this one) party that is HUT and handed over the money.

Tuuka costs 150000 - that's 125 hours! Forget completing the whole set, I can't even complete my own team. This is not a game, this a paywall that makes Dungeon Keeper look like good-guy WinRar.

TL;DR turns out HUT is a scam after all
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Can we put this in the HUT subforum, please?

I hate seeing HUT in the menus of my video games with no option to hide or remove the mode. The last thing I want is to see it clogging up the general NHL forum here at OS as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #31
Rookie

JsMcbain's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer
Posted on Reddit regarding HUT: (edited to take away strong language)

" I have an ideological objection to pay to win being a part of any full price retail game. Actually any game that isn't free. But with no modes to play in next gen I swallowed my pride, along with a fair bit of (edited), in order to play HUT in NHL 15.

Started out fun - honestly thought I could get every card in the game if I worked hard enough at it. Got to div 8 on the starter pack. Had a cry in this subreddit at how OP every one else's team was. Got good advice and picked up a bunch of cheap 80-84 players. Just got to div 7. Finally got enough coins to get a gold pack by grinding auction house. Hoping to get an 87-88 that I could sell for enough to get another pack. Got 77,80,81 and a bunch of (edited). In theory HUT is a fun mode that can be played without spending money.

OK, so if I've got 19 gold players each with 13 game contracts that cost 200 each, then I need to spend 3800 on contract renewals over a 13 game period. In that time I should earn around 11000. 13 games takes 6 hours to play (+crashes), so I'm not making more than 1200 per hour at best. Minus expenses and injuries then I maybe have enough to get a gold pack every 13 games. All the while knowing that things could be easier in every game if I just accepted the (edited but lol on this one) party that is HUT and handed over the money.

Tuuka costs 150000 - that's 125 hours! Forget completing the whole set, I can't even complete my own team. This is not a game, this a paywall that makes Dungeon Keeper look like good-guy WinRar.

TL;DR turns out HUT is a scam after all
I could say that besides the 10$ for ultimate edition I have not spent a penny, neither in nhl 14, but because I played so much in nhl 14 I got 30 returning bonus gold packs (EA did something good there giving big bonus to returning players with lots of game played... Ooops I said something nice about EA I'll probably get crucified) so with the pre order bonus, the ultimate edition bonus and returning bonus I got 36 free packs as we are in the second week, did not spend a penny more, 2-0 in division 6 so probably 5 soon, Kunitz-MacKinnon-Ryan 1st line which is good enough to play against great teams if I play good enough...

For every guy that loses every games and complains this is a money grab there are the same amount that win games make pucks complete collections get bonuses packs for it, log in every day to get the 1250 coins bonus after 7 straight days (a free jumbo gold pack every 2 weeks while playing ZERO games if you just log in log out 2 seconds every day)

You won't hear much about the guys that do well... Because instead of trying to find every forum possible to complain as to why the mode suck$, they play/win games and get better not only at the game but with their teams winning coins.

I am not targeting any one in particular, but if you have a hard time, play solo matches against a lower league team or lower difficulty level, you will still win coins, get better at the game at the same time, grind your way up, it is the fun of this mode!

NO - I do not work fo EA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

I object to not just HUT but all UT modes on a matter of gameplay. It has kind of been known that the Chemistry systems applied in Ultimate Team, in all their iterations has messed with the overall dynamics of the game, it is a mode for those who don't mind about how well the sport they are playing is represented. I don't mean anything negative by saying that, it has an audience and it caters perfectly to it.

You don't need a redundant chemistry system to tell you that because dude X and dude Y play on the same team that they might play better with each other.

"Oh, you played a player in his correct position ? here have an advantage"

Ultimate Team is like being spoon fed warm diarrhoea, where the end game objective is to be fed more than anyone else and paying for the privilege.

What they could do instead is invest in some servers like the team at DICE, allow them to be rented out to leagues who do GM Connected and charge a fee for their rental, those leagues can arrange between their members for payment for said servers equally and then that way they can invest in a mode where the person who decides who to play with also gets to decide how well those pieces fit with one another according to that persons play style.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »