Home

HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it?

This is a discussion on HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #41
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: HUT = Pay to win so why do so many buy into it?

My problem with HUT is the servers. I have 7 or 8 losses that are due to random disconnects / crashes.

Easily the most aggravating way to see your contracts go to waste.
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #42
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisol_us
Sports cards have been profitable for years. Why wouldn't the idea be just as profitable in a digital form? I like the idea of collecting cards.
You don't collect anything. You don't get to keep the cards. I still have two albums of my hockey cards from the 80s and 90s.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #43
Banned

tomzennsbruh's Arena

I honestly don't buy packs at all.

I just play solo games against random NHL teams, stack coins then use the auction house to pick out individual players at a time. I'm not trying to grind out games to buy a pack, and get players I don't even want.

When I feel it is time, and my team is where it needs to be,I will enter my Online Season and try and work my way up.
I'm looking at it as sort of the Solo CPU games are like the Regular Season to get ready for the ONline Seasons which is like my Playoffs.

I don't expect to get to a high division, I just want to build a team through playing the game. Using my in game performances to determine how quickly I can improve. That is what I like. In a GM mode, I play as the Penguins and I try and keep all my players together so it's like the real Penguins. In HUT, I'm just trying to put out the best team possible and try and get wins.

I have fun with it.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #44
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian_rocket
You don't collect anything. You don't get to keep the cards. I still have two albums of my hockey cards from the 80s and 90s.
True. However, my point is more to the idea of collecting. It seems like a human instinct to collect items and then show them off to others. It really doesn't matter if we are able to keep the cards. That is the marketing genuis behind HUT.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead21
My problem with HUT is the servers. I have 7 or 8 losses that are due to random disconnects / crashes.

Easily the most aggravating way to see your contracts go to waste.
Have you checked your NAT settings? If its not on open, that could be the culprit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer
Posted on Reddit regarding HUT: (edited to take away strong language)

" I have an ideological objection to pay to win being a part of any full price retail game. Actually any game that isn't free. But with no modes to play in next gen I swallowed my pride, along with a fair bit of (edited), in order to play HUT in NHL 15.

Started out fun - honestly thought I could get every card in the game if I worked hard enough at it. Got to div 8 on the starter pack. Had a cry in this subreddit at how OP every one else's team was. Got good advice and picked up a bunch of cheap 80-84 players. Just got to div 7. Finally got enough coins to get a gold pack by grinding auction house. Hoping to get an 87-88 that I could sell for enough to get another pack. Got 77,80,81 and a bunch of (edited). In theory HUT is a fun mode that can be played without spending money.

OK, so if I've got 19 gold players each with 13 game contracts that cost 200 each, then I need to spend 3800 on contract renewals over a 13 game period. In that time I should earn around 11000. 13 games takes 6 hours to play (+crashes), so I'm not making more than 1200 per hour at best. Minus expenses and injuries then I maybe have enough to get a gold pack every 13 games. All the while knowing that things could be easier in every game if I just accepted the (edited but lol on this one) party that is HUT and handed over the money.

Tuuka costs 150000 - that's 125 hours! Forget completing the whole set, I can't even complete my own team. This is not a game, this a paywall that makes Dungeon Keeper look like good-guy WinRar.

TL;DR turns out HUT is a scam after all
Yes, that is what I was speaking about in my initial post in this thread. You don't need money to win, but you need bonus packs BIG time. If you don't have the bonus packs, you have a major uphill climb that can only be overcome by massive amounts of time.

His math is roughly the same as mine, a gold pack = 13 games (I had a system in NHL 14 that shaved it down to 11.5 games).

Thus spending $3.50 or whatever on a gold pack = roughly 6 hours of gameplay. So if you are not spending money, to have an equivalent team, you need to dump tons of time into it.

However, anyone can easily field a team of all 82-85 rated players. Those players always go for roughly 1000-2000 pucks, so every 4-5 games you should be able to add an 82-85 overall player (and even faster when adding in the daily bonuses).

If you are playing HUT wanting a team of superstars, but unwilling to do a massive time dump in playing, I think you just have foolish goals in my mind....Any video game, to be top 20-25% you just have to spend tons of time in it. NHL isn't any different.

A team of mid 80's players is good enough to put you in a middle division, and its easily obtainable.

edit:

There are lots of strategies to save time to earn pucks quicker and build a team quicker. Really everyone should be relying on the Auction House to build up their team early on. 20-30 games in, you should have at least 2 lines of all players in the mid 80's.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #47
Banned

tomzennsbruh's Arena

Its funny that 'dumping time' into a video game is an annoyance.

Hundreds of hours of Final Fantasy, Skyrim, and COD have been logged trying to get their characters better. THAT is the fun if it.

Sports gamers don't care. At all. They just always want exactly what they want immediately. And the fact that they catered to that mindset is what kills it.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #48
Rookie

Södy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzennsbruh
Its funny that 'dumping time' into a video game is an annoyance.

Hundreds of hours of Final Fantasy, Skyrim, and COD have been logged trying to get their characters better. THAT is the fun if it.

Sports gamers don't care. At all. They just always want exactly what they want immediately. And the fact that they catered to that mindset is what kills it.
I actually like the collecting in UT. Others should play Online-VS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »