Home

Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

This is a discussion on Important Info Regarding Period Lengths! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

Very intersting stuff, guys.
I play 16 minute periods and already kind of wondered if I actually indeed play 16 minute in real time or not
With regards to shot total. I usually have around 40 shots, often times less, sometimes more. it also depends on how you play. Since I try to play kind of realistic hockey, I often do circles or also take time to change my lines while staying behind my own goal etc. so 16 minutes works fine for me with also decent penalty minutes. However, you may have to tweak your slides. I put all of the shot accuracy sliders to zero, otherwise I would have too many shots on goal. However, I am still happy with that since also in real hockey not every shot hits the net
Old 09-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #18
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

I don't have the full game yet, but really this couldn't be so hard to test.

Since penalty scaling and number of penalties must be taken out of the equation, you'll test it like this.

1) Start a game with human vs human.
2) After face off, do nothing.
... And clock the period, without whistles, without penalties. How long does a 10 minute period take?

And for anyone that has some spare time, play through the game and also clock the 3rd period.
But again, it's important that you do nothing, as penalties would change the actual time it takes depending on the scaling.

(Worth noting, in the old games at least, penalty scaling is only present when there's a PK/PP. It is not present in a 4v4 for example).

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #19
Banned

tomzennsbruh's Arena

OVR: 0

The NHL series has had their time like this since Sega Genesis
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I actually remember starting a thread on this same exact topic way back when it was NHL 11 or 12 I think. When I was playing the game I could easily tell the period lengths were not correct so I started tracking them. I've always played at least 12 minute periods and they were lasting like 9 or so. I just do not understand their logic on this but then again I don't understand their logic on most things in this game.
I remember that this issue was raised before and thanks to Majingir for giving the link. So you guys still playing NHL 15? You actually both this product?

Anyhow....what is the best period length to have a realistic stats? Hopefully in 16 the missing modes/features are back.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
I remember that this issue was raised before and thanks to Majingir for giving the link. So you guys still playing NHL 15? You actually both this product?

Anyhow....what is the best period length to have a realistic stats? Hopefully in 16 the missing modes/features are back.
I didn't buy NHL 15 so I haven't played it. Maybe I'll see what the tuners and patches are like as they get released and possibly buy it when it's on sale. I just doubt it will be worth it for me because the problems we've all had for years haven't been addressed, so it's hard to believe they ever will be. Not having the ability to use edited rosters is also a massive problem for player separation.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
MVP

canucksss's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Not having the ability to use edited rosters is also a massive problem for player separation.
Besides all the other issues of this game, I dont understand why EA is not allowing us to use edited rosters. I didnt buy NHL 14 but I read that tons of guys enjoying the game BECAUSE of the edited rosters. Since they cannot make player separation then allow us to do it. I dont know why my line 4 (ex Sestito) can do all talented players are doing...dekeing, shooting etc. I have NHL 15 as a gift but I haven't played it for the past week. I will go to EB this weekend and use this to make down payment for NBA 2k15.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

My guess is they don't allow editing for the same reasons they couldn't get club/otp working; altering the ratings probably broke the game in ways they couldn't fix in time. I could see the physics doing wonky stuff if certain players are edited in certain ways. Or the game may just crash if things are altered in certain ways.

If it was easy it probably would've made it in. Unfortunately, at EA NHL studios nothing appears to be easy for them.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #24

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
I'd say maybe 12 or so minutes. Though depends on slider sets since they'll obviously produce diff results. Main thing to just check is shots on goals and stuff and see if it's a good amount.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »