Home

Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

This is a discussion on Important Info Regarding Period Lengths! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
These time results just prove the exact direction the developers have had for this game. The developers want you to get through games in a short time span. You very rarely see offsides, icings (I guess sometimes you can), and pucks going over the glass. They just want you to speed through games and that's why it's up and down back and forth action all the time. It just amazes me that with NBA 2k and Madden you can actually play the exact minute games that they play in real life and adjust the sliders to make it realistic. All I want is a hockey game where I can play full 20 minute periods and have realistic results. That will never ever happen though and that's just the nature of the sport being replicated in a video game. Hockey is just too hard to program. I've never understood how people can play less than at least 10 minute periods and have fun though. I think I'm just one of those guys who is completely different than most. I play 12 minute quarters on NBA (when I have played the game), 15 minute quarters on Madden, Full 9 innings no quick counts on slow speed between pitches in The Show, and no doubt I would play 45 minute halves in soccer games if it were realistic.
This isn't any big secret -- it's one of the major problems with sports games in general. Why do you think the time defaults are always 1/2 to 1/3 of what the real-life clocks are? Sony San Diego is probably the only dev studio that has openly talked about it, though.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #34
Just started!

InterInter13's Arena

OVR: 0
Arrow Re: Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

This is interesting. Thank you for the information! I will try this out tonight.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #35
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Important Info Regarding Period Lengths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
This isn't any big secret -- it's one of the major problems with sports games in general. Why do you think the time defaults are always 1/2 to 1/3 of what the real-life clocks are? Sony San Diego is probably the only dev studio that has openly talked about it, though.
I obviously realize that. I was just reiterating that EA NHL has no motivation at all to provide realistic gameplay for longer length periods, and it sucks for people who would like a game like that. At least with The Show, Madden, and NBA, you can play any length quarters/innings you want and if you tune the sliders correctly you can get a pretty realistic final score outcome. The stats obviously won't be realistic, but it's better than seeing a 15-10 hockey game on 20 minute periods while putting up 100 shots on goal. My point is other sports games allow the user to play on any length of time they want and if the user tunes the game properly they get a realistic game. That just flat out isn't the case in NHL unless you create a ton of house rules.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »