Home

Online versus tips, could use a few

This is a discussion on Online versus tips, could use a few within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Online versus tips, could use a few

Figured for anyone that can offer random tips it'd be a good read. I'm level 15 currently and I am decent, however its been so long since I've played 1 vs 1 I'm just needing yo work out a few problem areas.

Basically no matter what setting for strategies I use, I can't get my D to press and pinch on a puck carrier. When I go into zones they pinch on me, and I can't get the right strategy.

Also, how do you stop guys that constantly whirly do around? That is the one thing that drives me nuts is some guys have such freedom to continue doing circles nonstop and I can't get my AI players to help shut it down, what can i do?

As I said, any tips would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: Online versus tips, could use a few

I am having the exact same issues and would love some advice on this...
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

When you say whirl around, do you mean how you go to check them, and they glide past you? If that, I back off them and give them as little space as I can, and try to poke the puck.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Pro

drewst18's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm not amazing I think I'm 14-1 right now but against some weaker competition. In division 7 right now.

I have found success by puck control and getting good shots. Use your point is very important and dumping the puck in works, I highly recommend setting all forward lines to a behind the net play style to establish a good cycle. Mix it up, go deep in corner, stop and hit the slot or use point but try to stay unpredictable so the defense doesn't start just playing the dump.

On defense I run a very defensive style, depending on game ill run my forcheck back to trap or laid back and like to roll 1 - 3 - 1. I only go for a hit if I have enough time to get a good start but if theyre a team that just likes to skate it in and use the boards I will not even go for a hit and will play position. Never go for a hit youre not sure you will succeed and even then a lot of hits will result in a 1 for 1 trade and its still a race to the puck or a race to get up, youre much better off keeping your body between the puck and the net.

Play angles, people love to cross crease but you have to be mindful of a shot or dangle toward the net especially with how lethal the backhand is. That being said there becomes a point where a puck carrier is no longer a threat to score and at that point you can 100% play the pass and cut out any passing lanes.

To start I would go with making a goal, I'm going to beat them on time on attack. Then once you do that consistently make it I am going to beat them 2:1 on time on attack, or I will win time on attack and out shoot them. Once you get to that point you will find you are very successful.

I'm not saying this is fool proof like I said I am only in division 7 but only 1 loss, I've been successful for last few years in NHL using this method.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »