Home

Question - please no drama queen answers

This is a discussion on Question - please no drama queen answers within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Question - please no drama queen answers

I haven't played an NHL game in years. If I purchase NHL 15 it would be to play GM mode and physically play all the games.

I would like pros and cons about playing the game in this way.

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Question - please no drama queen answers

Well, I think you will get several better and more detailed answers......

Me personally I'm a "Season" mode sports gamer. I like to play a single season, using updated/realistic rosters, and play out the season. I make the major real life NHL trades myself and generally try to keep realistic lines for every team.

Since I don't like diving into drafts, scouting, trades etc the majority of the features missing don't really affect me nor bother me. It is a little annoying that there's some things I will still have to circumvent to get the "Season" experience I've been used to with NHL and all other sports games.

With that said, if you do like the typical GM modes, then this is a bare bones version from what I'm gathering. Others will be able to fill you in more. It sounds like we're talking about basic features that have been in sports games for years (including NHL).

Anyway, I gave up on slider tweaking (penalties are STILL broken, as you can go 4 games with only 1 total power play). I just do with what we have this year and accept a sub par product and hope it's better next year.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Rookie

Most fun i've had playing NHL in years. Great gameplay, good presentation. Gm mode is missing a lot of features that would really push this game to new standards in my opinion. Never play online so i couldn't help you there.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Rookie

Also i don't have a problem with the penalties. Get about 5 a game combined. I know thats not up to average but it works for me.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Rookie

Other than obvious no draft until the patch couple cons are
1. No super sim(follow each period n jump in wen ever)
2.cannot look at previous games to see who scored n wat not.
3.at least for me goalies do not get credit for wins in a shootout.
One pro at least if u play every game is u can turn off trades so sorta feels like season mode since that was not addedq
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Are you asking if you can play all the games for every team the answer is no. I never really played GM mode before because I am also a Season Mode guy and roster control freak so I cannot speak to much of the missing GM components however it appears to be stripped down. You control one team and only the roster moves for that team. You can turn trades off but you cannot stop the CPU from signing unrealistic free agent signings from the Free Agent List. In an attempt to circumvent this I did the following: Prior to starting a GM mode make all the roster movements and camp invites that have happened. I then took all remaining free agents 73 or above, like Brodeur, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, etc and put them on MY AHL team (AHL means nothing this year in GM) if need be I moved my low rated AHL guys to the free agent pool. If another team signs one of those big names I can easily then trade them where they belong. I have no idea how I'm going to handle any real life trades that take place during the season though and the Trade Deadline will be a nightmare. Good luck
Old 09-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Are you asking if you can play all the games for every team the answer is no. I never really played GM mode before because I am also a Season Mode guy and roster control freak so I cannot speak to much of the missing GM components however it appears to be stripped down. You control one team and only the roster moves for that team. You can turn trades off but you cannot stop the CPU from signing unrealistic free agent signings from the Free Agent List. In an attempt to circumvent this I did the following: Prior to starting a GM mode make all the roster movements and camp invites that have happened. I then took all remaining free agents 73 or above, like Brodeur, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, etc and put them on MY AHL team (AHL means nothing this year in GM) if need be I moved my low rated AHL guys to the free agent pool. If another team signs one of those big names I can easily then trade them where they belong. I have no idea how I'm going to handle any real life trades that take place during the season though and the Trade Deadline will be a nightmare. Good luck
I want to be GM for one team and play all the games for that team. I gather that is available in this game.

The reason I started this thread is because I have seen multiple posts from people saying the game is broken but I'm not sure if they are referring to the same mode I intend to play.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Rookie

Yes you can control one team and have a 25 year gm career.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »