Home

Despite Its Issues, NHL 15 Is Still a Thrill On-Ice

This is a discussion on Despite Its Issues, NHL 15 Is Still a Thrill On-Ice within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #49
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Despite Its Issues, NHL 15 Is Still a Thrill On-Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
It was a thrill at release.. but after patches/tuners - I want to throw my controller at my TV most of the time. I will continue to tweak.. but they will just release another patch to screw everything up again.
What dont you like about the patch ? It sounds like your issue is the tuner no ?

I like the latest tuner alot for cpu defensive position especially around the net but I dont have the time or patience to then address the big hit gameplay and boost mode the latest tuner also introduce but maybe just lower hitting a bit and everything else should fall into place .
Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #50
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
What dont you like about the patch ? It sounds like your issue is the tuner no ?

I like the latest tuner alot for cpu defensive position especially around the net but I dont have the time or patience to then address the big hit gameplay and boost mode the latest tuner also introduce but maybe just lower hitting a bit and everything else should fall into place .
Yeah me either.. xb1 for vs play and x360 for BeaGm for me this season.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #51
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
There's numerous reasons it could be "dead" in here. Maybe because people are actually enjoying the game. Or maybe they're busy doing other things. You have all your threads and posts doing nothing but whining and complaining, yet here you are in a positive thread, trying to tear it down......AGAIN. You've even made ANOTHER negative thread.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff, but YOU'VE MADE YOUR POINT........10 TIMES OVER. It's like you're having a hard time with people who are actually enjoying the game. Does it really bother you that much??

Do yourself and your health a favor, trade in the game and move on already.
I love this by Moegames , says it all

Are you basing this off of just members here at OS Forums? If so, let me explain to you from a long time member standpoint of view as i been a member here for 12 years now....there are a lot of very very finicky almost childish kind of members here with a lot of their gripes and dislikes of this game and any other sports game tha that has its own sub-forum here at OS Forums.

One thing i learned here after being here so long is that people want their sports games tailored to their own liking "OR" they read someone else negative slandering feedback and literally get hypnotized off it and from that point on their eye's are totally focused on that specific bug or problem in the game, even as minor as it may be...they will make it a mountain out of a mole hill.

Long story short - Enjoy video games for what it is, not what it's not. Dont fall for negative people or negative comments you read in here from personal opinions because its nothing but their own opinion and once you start feeding into that BS ...it'll suck all the fun out of every game you play. Do NOT get into the habit of dissecting and putting a videogame under the microscope like so MANY members here do...i mean they literally pop the new game in and put it under the microscope searching for bugs, flaws or just any negative thing their eye's can find because they are already set to look out for negative BS, its a bad kind of mind-set to have ..its simply non-sense and all you gotta do is look at each member's history of posts that are posting harsh negative feedback and i guarantee you the majority of their posts are all like that. Dont get me wrong, there is a place for constructive criticism and we need to share our thoughts on bugs, flaws,etc and what can be improved....I am simply talking about the posts with harsh bashing of a game or portions of a game...

The reason why i say all this is that i use to be like that a lot...i was so caught up on expecting perfection and a bug-free game that i would pop in the new game and just go looking for every thing that i didnt like....rather than popping in the game and just enjoying it for what it is.....Im telling you man, you seem to already have a strong position on your aspect and opinion of the game...that is good, keep it that way because i am telling you man...it will never stop here at OS Forums....this place is notorious for whiny-type, bashing feedback of games and people that only looking for bugs, flaws, and all negative aspects of sports video games.

Like i said...enjoy the games for what they are...no game will ever be perfect and no human is perfect so there is no way a game will ever be perfect but i get a feeling some people around here expect a video game to be and play as smart as the real sport...and that just baffles me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

There's still a lot wrong with the gameplay right now on PS4, even after all of the tuners they've released:

-- Poke checks and stick lifts are extremely ineffective at separating the puck from the puck carrier, plus they'll often cause undeserved penalties even when they are performed from perfect defensive positioning.

-- Unless you're hitting a guy from a 90 degree or 180 degree angle, there's a good chance that the collision detection will fail, and you'll end up throwing a check that whiffs and does nothing.

-- Thanks to those first two issues, plus the lack of defensive awareness by your AI teammates, the puck carrier can skate and dangle around the entire defense at will, regardless of whether he's a first line sniper or a fourth line grinder.

-- Charging penalties and interference for late hits are seldom called, which gives you free rein to take runs at whomever you want, whenever you want. This leads to many cheap injuries, which will cost you thousands of coins to fix if you're playing HUT.

-- Goalies frequently save shots that they should have no chance of stopping, then they'll turn around the next shift and let in goals that should have no chance of going in.

-- It's way too easy for goalies to pass the puck out of a covered position through a crowd of people to avoid taking defensive zone face-offs and start a cheesy breakout to the other end of the ice.

-- The forced passing assist prevents you from passing the puck around the boards or into open space. It also makes your passes go to the wrong person multiple times per period.

-- Wingers are still taking your face-offs in all 4 vs. 4 situations, due to a longstanding bug.

-- Your AI teammates are terrible at positioning themselves at all times. On offense, they can't find the open parts of the ice. On defense, they will let the other team's forwards set up in the slot/crease with minimal resistance.

Now that NBA 2K15 is out, I am pretty much done playing this game until the Online Team Play update arrives.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-08-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #53
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
There's still a lot wrong with the gameplay right now on PS4, even after all of the tuners they've released:

-- Poke checks and stick lifts are extremely ineffective at separating the puck from the puck carrier, plus they'll often cause undeserved penalties even when they are performed from perfect defensive positioning.

-- Unless you're hitting a guy from a 90 degree angle, there's a good chance that the collision detection will fail, and you'll end up throwing a check that whiffs and does nothing.

-- Thanks to those first two issues, plus the lack of defensive awareness by your AI teammates, the puck carrier can skate and dangle around the entire defense at will, regardless of whether he's a first line sniper or a fourth line grinder.

-- Charging penalties and interference for late hits are seldom called, which gives you free rein to take runs at whomever you want, whenever you want. This leads to many cheap injuries, which will cost you thousands of coins to fix if you're playing HUT.

-- Goalies frequently save shots that they should have no chance of stopping, then they'll turn around the next shift and let in goals that should have no chance of going in.

-- It's way too easy for goalies to pass the puck out of a covered position through a crowd of people to avoid taking defensive zone face-offs and start a cheesy breakout to the other end of the ice.

-- The forced passing assist prevents you from passing the puck around the boards or into open space. It also makes your passes go to the wrong person multiple times per period.

-- Wingers are still taking your face-offs in all 4 vs. 4 situations, due to a longstanding bug.

-- Your AI teammates are terrible at positioning themselves at all times. On offense, they can't find the open parts of the ice. On defense, they will let the other team's forwards set up in the slot/crease with minimal resistance.

Now that NBA 2K15 is out, I am pretty much done playing this game until the Online Team Play update arrives.
Well all that maybe true, "But the gameplay is great."
Old 10-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #54
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I guess it comes down to if you thought that NHL14 gameplay was great, or you haven't played the series in a while, I can see why you think NHL15 is great, in terms of gameplay (assuming you can look past the game modes, or maybe they never really appealed to you, so it's a small loss).

But, haven't watched a ton of videos from NHL15, i just don't see any real gameplay difference, and i think that's what's most frustrating.
The AI players still skate and warp around in all sorts of odd pirouettes and clippings out on the ice. They still appear to make uncanny passes from odd angles, no matter how high or low their skill ratings in that area might be, and no matter how many defenders standing between them watch the puck slide through.
The AI still looks like they're scoring on goals that should be easy saves, while the goalies get out of position, either by tracking the puck too far (it seems that they always try to be centered on the puck, which isn't always bad, but when it's the AI receiving a backhand all 3 feet past the net, that they can then slide instantly back, it leaves a goalie that's sliding too far across the crease, instead of moving slightly and pivoting. The goalie movement could use a big rework.) or the goalie just missed a simple pass or soft shot. But, they'll still sometimes make some magical save that superman couldn't have moved fast enough to stop.

I guess that's all part of my frustration. These are the same things that drove me crazy in NHL 13, and more so in NHL 14. I hoped that NHL 15 and the Next-Gen engine was going to finally give them the processing power and the on-board storage to give the AI all the systems they needed to recognize something simple like going in on a 2-on-1 to stay with me, not stop at the blue line and wait for...i don't know what. Or when there are players in front of the net, the defenders shouldn't skate off to cross-check the guy without the puck into the boards and leave the net open while drawing an interference penalty.
The series has so much promise, and the graphics engine looks great, but there are so many problems, game play being the biggest gripe of mine, that frustrate me beyond belief. I want NHL 15 to be the game i'd hoped it was, but every video I've seen just leads me to believe it's NHL 13.75 with a seriously good looking coat of paint.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #55
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I guess it comes down to if you thought that NHL14 gameplay was great, or you haven't played the series in a while, I can see why you think NHL15 is great, in terms of gameplay (assuming you can look past the game modes, or maybe they never really appealed to you, so it's a small loss).

But, haven't watched a ton of videos from NHL15, i just don't see any real gameplay difference, and i think that's what's most frustrating.
The AI players still skate and warp around in all sorts of odd pirouettes and clippings out on the ice. They still appear to make uncanny passes from odd angles, no matter how high or low their skill ratings in that area might be, and no matter how many defenders standing between them watch the puck slide through.
The AI still looks like they're scoring on goals that should be easy saves, while the goalies get out of position, either by tracking the puck too far (it seems that they always try to be centered on the puck, which isn't always bad, but when it's the AI receiving a backhand all 3 feet past the net, that they can then slide instantly back, it leaves a goalie that's sliding too far across the crease, instead of moving slightly and pivoting. The goalie movement could use a big rework.) or the goalie just missed a simple pass or soft shot. But, they'll still sometimes make some magical save that superman couldn't have moved fast enough to stop.

I guess that's all part of my frustration. These are the same things that drove me crazy in NHL 13, and more so in NHL 14. I hoped that NHL 15 and the Next-Gen engine was going to finally give them the processing power and the on-board storage to give the AI all the systems they needed to recognize something simple like going in on a 2-on-1 to stay with me, not stop at the blue line and wait for...i don't know what. Or when there are players in front of the net, the defenders shouldn't skate off to cross-check the guy without the puck into the boards and leave the net open while drawing an interference penalty.
The series has so much promise, and the graphics engine looks great, but there are so many problems, game play being the biggest gripe of mine, that frustrate me beyond belief. I want NHL 15 to be the game i'd hoped it was, but every video I've seen just leads me to believe it's NHL 13.75 with a seriously good looking coat of paint.

Your pretty dead on with everything but this game minus some weak player positioning when NHL 15 came out organically and Physics wise it was incredible and even if things were going on under the hood I didnt feel those cheap things you mentioned above and that was really nice .

Now people cried for better defensive positioning ect and the latest tuner and patch did that so careful what you wish for Before the Patch and tuner I could block shots no nerfing and now its like theres a wall blocking me to stay in line even on the V100 tuner which is really sad because they had a great foundation to build on at least from what I mentioned above .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 10-08-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #56
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
I love this by Moegames , says it all

Are you basing this off of just members here at OS Forums? If so, let me explain to you from a long time member standpoint of view as i been a member here for 12 years now....there are a lot of very very finicky almost childish kind of members here with a lot of their gripes and dislikes of this game and any other sports game tha that has its own sub-forum here at OS Forums.

One thing i learned here after being here so long is that people want their sports games tailored to their own liking "OR" they read someone else negative slandering feedback and literally get hypnotized off it and from that point on their eye's are totally focused on that specific bug or problem in the game, even as minor as it may be...they will make it a mountain out of a mole hill.

Long story short - Enjoy video games for what it is, not what it's not. Dont fall for negative people or negative comments you read in here from personal opinions because its nothing but their own opinion and once you start feeding into that BS ...it'll suck all the fun out of every game you play. Do NOT get into the habit of dissecting and putting a videogame under the microscope like so MANY members here do...i mean they literally pop the new game in and put it under the microscope searching for bugs, flaws or just any negative thing their eye's can find because they are already set to look out for negative BS, its a bad kind of mind-set to have ..its simply non-sense and all you gotta do is look at each member's history of posts that are posting harsh negative feedback and i guarantee you the majority of their posts are all like that. Dont get me wrong, there is a place for constructive criticism and we need to share our thoughts on bugs, flaws,etc and what can be improved....I am simply talking about the posts with harsh bashing of a game or portions of a game...

The reason why i say all this is that i use to be like that a lot...i was so caught up on expecting perfection and a bug-free game that i would pop in the new game and just go looking for every thing that i didnt like....rather than popping in the game and just enjoying it for what it is.....Im telling you man, you seem to already have a strong position on your aspect and opinion of the game...that is good, keep it that way because i am telling you man...it will never stop here at OS Forums....this place is notorious for whiny-type, bashing feedback of games and people that only looking for bugs, flaws, and all negative aspects of sports video games.

Like i said...enjoy the games for what they are...no game will ever be perfect and no human is perfect so there is no way a game will ever be perfect but i get a feeling some people around here expect a video game to be and play as smart as the real sport...and that just baffles me.
You are dead wrong. I admire your enthusiasm, I really do, but all the things theyve taken out of the game, I have absolutely no problem making negative comments towards the game *because that's how games are improved*. And people that are *simply satisfied with less* are giving the developers the ok to give us less. EA took the wind out of 2K's sails to create a hockey game, and this is the only option, so it had better be a good one. Unfortunately aside from the presentation, it is not a good one. Its the only modern option I have and Im glad I chose not to buy it. I've gone to a friend's house on several occasions to give it another try, but am simply dissatisfied. The goalies are brutal, and the flow of gameplay is generally unrealistic.

I agree with you that it would be impossible to please everyone, but if the AI were a little more realistic, especially the goalies, and they didnt take out all the content they did, they wouldnt be receiving so many complaints. They are receiving legitimate complaints. This is how they will change - less sales and complaints.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »