Home

Rule Question

This is a discussion on Rule Question within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Rule Question

I just played a VS game online and one of my CPU players goes haywire and commits a penalty, gets a game misconduct and was tossed out of the game(if you ask me it's ridiculous that they would program the CPU to handcuff you like that). My opponent was given a 5 minute power play and started to rack up major points. I believe in that five minute span, he scored about 3 or 4 PP goals. He got the full 5 minutes on the PP. I was always under the impression that the shorthanded team went back to full strength after letting in a goal.

Is that a glitch or is that an official rule? I've only been aware of your standard 2 minute and 4 minute penalties.

I just wanted to add that I pretty good defensively. Over 23 games, I've only allowed 19 goals and I'm level 19. On this specific game I was shut out and my opponent dumped 8 goals on my head, including that crazy endless PP.

Last edited by andayaman; 11-02-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Rule Question

Unless I'm completely suffering from amnesia, 5 minute majors do not stop after a goal; that's why it's a major. They can score as many as possible during a major, so can you.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Looks like you're right.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andayaman
I just played a VS game online and one of my CPU players goes haywire and commits a penalty, gets a game misconduct and was tossed out of the game(if you ask me it's ridiculous that they would program the CPU to handcuff you like that). My opponent was given a 5 minute power play and started to rack up major points. I believe in that five minute span, he scored about 3 or 4 PP goals. He got the full 5 minutes on the PP. I was always under the impression that the shorthanded team went back to full strength after letting in a goal.

Is that a glitch or is that an official rule? I've only been aware of your standard 2 minute and 4 minute penalties.

I just wanted to add that I pretty good defensively. Over 23 games, I've only allowed 19 goals and I'm level 19. On this specific game I was shut out and my opponent dumped 8 goals on my head, including that crazy endless PP.
A 5-min major is a 5-min penalty, regardless how many times the opposition scores.

Really annoying, considering how circumstancial game misconducts for boarding are, this year.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 2

5 minute penalties are called Major Penalties. Most of the time Major Penalties are called for fighting which involves at least one player for each team meaning there is no power play. However Major Penalties can be called for a number of other infractions such as hitting from behind which can result in a power play and Major Penalties are for the entire 5 minutes. Teams can score as many goals as they like during these 5 minutes. It's been like this since as long as I have played as well as watched hockey (and I am not some young'un ... I'm not old enough to remember the original six, but I am old enough to remember when Buffalo and Vancouver came into the league).

With that said, I think it's a little annoying for EA to have CPU controlled players getting these non-fighting Major Penalties. It happened to me in a close game last night where my team was trailing by a goal with about 6 minutes left in the game and one of the CPU players took a Major Penalty (hitting from behind). It was a death sentence for my team in terms of coming back.

Oh well ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Like the others said. Doesn't matter... a major penalty goes for the full amount of time.
Also just wanna throw this one out there. When your players gets a 4 minute penalty for a high stick or whatever. If the team scores within the first 2 minutes then the PP time goes down to 2 minutes. An example, I saw was last night during the Oiler's and Bruin's game. A Bruin was called for the 4 minute penalty and then within like 30 seconds Edmonton scored and the clock reverted to 2 minutes left on the PP after the goal.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Like the others said. Doesn't matter... a major penalty goes for the full amount of time.
Also just wanna throw this one out there. When your players gets a 4 minute penalty for a high stick or whatever. If the team scores within the first 2 minutes then the PP time goes down to 2 minutes. An example, I saw was last night during the Oiler's and Bruin's game. A Bruin was called for the 4 minute penalty and then within like 30 seconds Edmonton scored and the clock reverted to 2 minutes left on the PP after the goal.
Yup. It's treated as two separate 2-minute minor penalties, so scoring quickly only covers the "first" of the two. They still have the "second" penalty.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Minor penalties used to be just like majors at one time, lasting 2 minutes no matter the amount of goals scored by the other team.

Quote:
One goal on minor penalties, 1956
There was a time when a minor penalty meant two minutes of shame no matter how many times the opposition scored. That all changed in ’56 thanks to the overwhelming power play of the Montreal Canadiens. With names like Beliveau, Richard(s), Geoffrion and Harvey, the Habs ran a clinical attack that at times was just plain unfair.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-the-game.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »