Home

Goalie Suggestions For NHL 16

This is a discussion on Goalie Suggestions For NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Goalie Suggestions For NHL 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
While I agree with all of your points, I'd like to discuss the bolded section further (the crappy skating needs no further critiquing ).

There are two stages to this, pre-shot and shot. In "pre-shot" mode a goalie would ideally come out of the crease to cut off the angle (implementing this alone would be a godsend), squaring themselves to the skater and getting on a line with the skater and the net (not doing this is the reason for those terrible bounce-in-off-pad goals). "Shot" mode is reacting to the shot, twisting the blocker to propel the shot towards the corner/away from skaters in front (EA doesn't do a terrible job of this) and getting the pad in correct position to—even if a rebound bounces off—make the second save because the bounce has come out in front of the goalie, not off to the side.
I didn't really mean them bouncing it into the corners specifically, but more that goalies pivot in place instead of moving. I'll see if i can kind of terribly draw it.

Alright, so in A, the goalie is middle of the net, and the shot is coming from the goalie's right. The goalie reacts and slides out towards the shooter and gets his pads forward so the puck will either die off the pads, and get covered or roll into the corner.
In EA's NHL, goalies often just pivot in place and leave the puck to bounce off of their pads and into the side of the net.

Last edited by actionhank; 11-13-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #18
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I didn't really mean them bouncing it into the corners specifically, but more that goalies pivot in place instead of moving. I'll see if i can kind of terribly draw it.

Alright, so in A, the goalie is middle of the net, and the shot is coming from the goalie's right. The goalie reacts and slides out towards the shooter and gets his pads forward so the puck will either die off the pads, and get covered or roll into the corner.
In EA's NHL, goalies often just pivot in place and leave the puck to bounce off of their pads and into the side of the net.
No, I got what you were saying, I've seen those "highlights" on youtube.

My two stages were a suggestion for what could happen; the fact that squaring a goalie to the shooter isn't in the game is the reason for those horrible goals.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Ah, good old footage of—HOLY COW Billy Smith WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE.

I'd like to request the ability to slash players in the back of their legs when they're screening me in the crease.

Good dangle on The Great One there—it'd be possible in the NHL series, cause Gretzky is like a 95, not a 200 as he should be, but wait it's not possible because you can't move with the puck. Requesting that too.

OK, I'm done for now.

Totally unrelated video of the day:

It's a calling; it's a gift.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #20
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Goalies stretching side-to side to make a glove or blocker save rather than levitating/warping/diving to the side to make an impossible save is a much-needed addition too. Most of the best glove/blocker saves ever seen aren't possible in NHL 15. Or 14. Or 13. Or whatever.

Rant time: I don't understand how a hockey game can let goalies, the most important part of the game, be so stale and far from their real-life counterparts. In a game that emphasizes 1-on-1 on play with cheesy and easy dekes why isn't the quintessential 1-on-1 battle given the same (it should be more, but we're grasping at straws at the moment) treatment?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »