Home

NHL 15 Hasn't Updated Its Player Ratings Since Launch

This is a discussion on NHL 15 Hasn't Updated Its Player Ratings Since Launch within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 15 Hasn't Updated Its Player Ratings Since Launch

It's unacceptable IMO. After the shell of a game we got, they could at least support it with proper roster updates. If roster editing was in, it wouldn't be that big of a deal I guess, but as it stands, its just sad, and unacceptable.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Rookie

pm83's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
Sorry it's not lined up better, but you see the point. The range on a good team like the Rangers is 66 to 87. Lemieux was highest at 100 along with a couple others, but the guys that weren't great were rated as such Gtrezky was only an 88 because of his decline in skills by then. Most teams in 15 are 80-100 now and that is the problem. I just wish when EA updated the rosters they would use this wider spread like they used to and make the 3rd and 4th liners play just like that.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they stop using wider scale years ago after some real NHL players were crying about their "low" ratings?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm83
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they stop using wider scale years ago after some real NHL players were crying about their "low" ratings?
I think you're right, but I mean come on, you have the ability as a company to make the spread between 2 numbers be as big as you want. I could make the spread in speed between 98 and 97 as big as a spread between 90 and 60 if I wanted to.
I have no problem with the higher ratings for "political correctness" but make the spread wider between numbers.

Whiny bitches these players are!!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Sidney Crosby is the high point right now at 96 overall.

Capitals center Liam O'Brien is currently the lowest rated NHL player at 63 overall.

But that range is deceiving, because most of the 60-70 overall players on teams' rosters right now are rated that low because they were called up from the minor leagues, and then EA never updated those players' ratings above a "minor league" level.

The vast majority of NHL players in this game are clumped together in the 80-89 range, which is part of why there's no real separation in how players perform on the ice.

For comparison, the player ratings in NHL 94 ranged from 100 (Mario Lemieux) to 29 (Greg Smyth).

Last edited by jyoung; 11-22-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 4

That being said, NHL games now have to makeup a range of skill levels as well. Back in 97 there was only the NHL, but now you have the AHL, CHL, etc. Until EA comes up with a "League level rating" that translates when you change leagues, we are going to have to endure these tight ratings. Let's look at Ekblad as an example. In the CHL he would be a mid to high 90, in the AHL he would be a mid to high 80, but in the NHL he would be a mid to high 70.

The thing is players come out of lower leagues with NHL calibre abilities, ie Morgan Reilly speed, but they come out with lower league mental abilities, ie Morgan Reilly defensive awareness. NHL needs to do a better job of not increasing player skills so much as the mental aspects of those skills. Morgan Reilly has the speed to keep up with NHL players, but he lacks the knowledge of how to stop them and how best to defend. A lot of player come up with the size to hit people, but the knowledge of when and where to hit them is learned.

I think for sports games to get it right in player development and roster development they need to pit the focus more on the mental aspects of the sports and less on the physical. In my scenario, shot accuracy is a mental aspect as is pass accuracy. Speed is physical , but getting open would be mental.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2014, 01:20 AM   #22
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
As of this writing, not a single NHL player has received a change to his overall rating since NHL 15 shipped on September 9.
Technically untrue -- Anthony Duclair of the Rangers went from a 69 overall to a 74 overall after the season opened.

The point is still a good one, though. There needs to be some happy medium between the schizo rating changes in Madden and the complete lack of changes in NHL. The starting ratings are a bigger problem, in my opinion, which seems to be what the article is really about.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 22
Actually in NHL95 I think one player had 1 overall.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 22
Forsberg on Nashville was a high ranked draft prospect, was a star in the world juniors, has delievered in NHL but is still 79 overall. Stupid.
But then again Carl Söderberg in Boston is a 79 to I guess, and last year he was in the top of points per minutes played in NHL.
STUPID!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »