Home

What are YOUR game-changing ideas?

This is a discussion on What are YOUR game-changing ideas? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: What are YOUR game-changing ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil
Ok, how about this...It seems EA has a unwavering devotion to HUT now...why? Money of course. So I offer this, why not compromise? I can't stand HUT but that's ok if you like it that's up to you but for the rest who just want game play improved plus get everything back and want the game to resemble real hockey there needs to be some give in take.

The compromise is going to have to involve money for EA to peak there little heads above the spread sheets and do something...it's the year 2014 not 94 Genesis or 2001 or any other year when hockey seemed to matter more to them. DLC is the answer for both them and us so they get what they want and we get what we want...not DLC for player packs or what not but for detailed content. I know first reaction is no way but like I said this is a different time and a different gaming world. Hockey lovers will pay it...core gameplay...season play with editing, better game play etc.. all that is supplied by EA but if you want the little details that make hockey truly feel like hockey or just bring you back to a previous time...DLC would be there. Extra jerseys, decals, full Zamboni period intermissions, breaking glass, breaking sticks, injuries on ice...any number of things that have been mentioned before as missing that were in previous versions or have never been in...

I would gladly pay DLC for all the cool little things as long as EA put in the usual modes and gameplay we used to get. This is just a rough idea and I'm sure better ideas could be made to flesh it out but it comes down to compromise and the way things work now in the gaming world and especially when it's no longer a priority title like Madden...all I know is I would rather throw some extra coin at game details to get gameplay then HUT any day of the week. They could still do both but either way it gives EA motivation and funds to maybe try a little harder.
I already motivate them with funds. I motivate them when i give them $60 to give me a complete game.
I shouldn't have to pay extra on top of my base price just to get them to complete the game. DLC for things that are actually extra, like specific home team announcers, extra jerseys, or old stadiums, that's one thing. But i'm definitely not wanting to pay for things like breaking glass or injuries.
I want EA to make a complete game, and if they can't do that without getting $60+, then they can just kiss the $60 goodbye too.

I don't mean to sound negative, but the whole "Make a half-assed game, and then finish it with DLC or Add Ons" business model is nothing short of frustrating. Games are as pricey as they've ever been, and despite that, so many games anymore come out in terrible shape.

I expect EA to include good gameplay, current/accurate rosters, player editing, deep and enjoyable game modes, and sliders that work to adjust the game to my liking, so that i can play a sim game if i want, and someone who enjoys a more laid back approach can do the same.

If they want to offer extra things like mini-games, special rosters (Legends, etc), retired/made-up jerseys, and other stuff like a more complex jersey editor, or special arenas, that's fine. But i expect a complete game for my money. Extras need to be extra, not clipped off features that they act like they're graciously offering to you.

The day EA tries to offer something like Be a GM as a paid add-in, I'm out for good. My foot is already halfway out the door with the release of NHL15.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
Rookie

Thomas Veil's Arena

OVR: 0

Good luck with that attitude...your living in the past. Most every decent sized game release has DLC now. Sorry the DLC is out if the bottle no going back. I for one love hockey and would hate for this series to end. If you read my post you would see I do say the regular modes would be there just the little things that we didn't have before the cuts would be DLC.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Good luck with that attitude...your living in the past. Most every decent sized game release has DLC now. Sorry the DLC is out if the bottle no going back. I for one love hockey and would hate for this series to end. If you read my post you would see I do say the regular modes would be there just the little things that we didn't have before the cuts would be DLC.
I understand your DLC argument. But come on. You said DLC for better gameplay, broken sticks, and injuries? So what is the base game supposed to be? I could have sworn it says "NHL" in big letters on the box.

I understand having DLC for things like more jerseys or historic teams. Those would be great ideas and it would make them some extra bucks. But having to pay even more just so your game doesn't play like crap? No way.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
And if EA thinks the future is paying for things that they should have in game, like injuries and broken sticks, then good riddance to the game.

Like i said in my post, I'm fine with Downloadable Content being extras, but if thinking a game that costs more than a lot of people make for an entire day's worth of work should be finished, not half-asses with tons of "DLC" that's all but required to enjoy it means i'm "living in the past" then so be it. Call me grandpa.

I think DLC should be extras. In games it's usually a map pack, or special weapons or skins. If you're okay with it being things like normal game modes, and the game working just fine, then i guess that's cool. I don't think is should have to drop $60 to get a bad base-level game, that i then have to add $10 to a few times over to get the game to be even remotely close to what i want.

Last edited by actionhank; 12-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
Rookie

Thomas Veil's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I understand your DLC argument. But come on. You said DLC for better gameplay, broken sticks, and injuries? So what is the base game supposed to be? I could have sworn it says "NHL" in big letters on the box.

I understand having DLC for things like more jerseys or historic teams. Those would be great ideas and it would make them some extra bucks. But having to pay even more just so your game doesn't play like crap? No way.

See this is why don't normally post and just lurk...knee jerk reactions without really reading what I wrote. Those were just some ideas...did mention extra jerseys and historic teams would be cool...all for that but those were just rough ideas that do happen in games that we don't have now...that's complete hockey...the little details mean a lot. I'm open to any ideas really just mentioning some...once again I did say if they added in all the game modes we used to have before the cuts and improve on them. The point being ways for them to make money for those who want to pay and if not then just play the game without the little extras. Never did I say better gameplay DLC...just details DLC like they do in other games... extra uniforms, weapons etc like in first person shooters. Last time posting...seems most just want the game to die anyway. Enjoy your HUT then because that's all there will be left.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
See this is why don't normally post and just lurk...knee jerk reactions without really reading what I wrote. Those were just some ideas...did mention extra jerseys and historic teams would be cool...all for that but those were just rough ideas that do happen in games that we don't have now...that's complete hockey...the little details mean a lot. I'm open to any ideas really just mentioning some...once again I did say if they added in all the game modes we used to have before the cuts and improve on them. The point being ways for them to make money for those who want to pay and if not then just play the game without the little extras. Never did I say better gameplay DLC...just details DLC like they do in other games... extra uniforms, weapons etc like in first person shooters. Last time posting...seems most just want the game to die anyway. Enjoy your HUT then because that's all there will be left.
If the game is like last year's, spending even more money on the game doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If they are going to charge me the complete price, I want a complete game.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
Rookie

robinson's Arena

Mickey has some good points about more attributes & additional sliders.

I want those and new sliders for each different type of penalty.

The sliders to have a wider range. Right now its 0-6, lets have -4 to 10. There needs to be a way to adjust the sliders lower then 0 and higher then 6 to get the gameplay tweaked better. An I do not want to hear 0-6 is the same thing as 0-10 or 0-100 because its not. Just a wider range at both ends.

AI, the D man stands there in his position (LorR) and watchs the off players come down the slot and shot. WTF is that.

They defiantly can make more attributes and sliders range wider.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #24
Pro

mikeymayhem's Arena

OVR: 3

Another thing thats not really game changing but really needs to be touched up on is draft prospects, still to this day they don't progress unless they are drafted by a team.. I simmed a few years in and Sean Day who should be a top pick for 2016 was 49 overall. That will take at least three years to get a top 3 pick even on the 4th line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »