Home

NHL 16: Couch Mode

This is a discussion on NHL 16: Couch Mode within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
NHL 16: Couch Mode

I was reading through the list of game modes they're considering for NHL 16 and saw this couch mode listed. I'm a little intrigued, it sounds like one of the old iterations of NHL (I'm talking like low to mid 2000s) back on the ps2 version. Does anyone remember what year it was? I wanted to go back and see how it worked, and see how I feel about this potential "new" implementation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Rookie

redslumber's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16: Couch Mode

Man, this couch mode sounds awesome! I wonder if they'll let you just play as a couch in a traditional house, or maybe couches in obscure places like hotels and airports as well! Maybe sign a deal with IKEA and their roster of great couches!

Old 12-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redslumber
Man, this couch mode sounds awesome! I wonder if they'll let you just play as a couch in a traditional house, or maybe couches in obscure places like hotels and airports as well! Maybe sign a deal with IKEA and their roster of great couches!

Well no matter what type of couch you are, I hope you like it. Because you won't be able to edit what type of couch you are.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

While it could be cool, the problem with this game has always been that the foundation of the game isn't good.

Sure, they add lots of cool things, but when the base of the gameplay is still flawed in how it represents real hockey, the rest of the game will never matter as much.

Coaching mode could be fun, but when you're stuck trying to kill a 5 minute powerplay because your player checked a guy that didn't have the puck because the AI is braindead, and you lose the game because you sent out your best faceoff man who instead lined up in the wing spot while your worst faceoff guy takes the spot, it's always going to be frustrating to play.

You can't do cool things like role 7 defenders, your players don't get tired...there are lists of stuff that could make this game better, and i would like to hope that EA takes notice...but their recent and past actions haven't given me much room for hope.

Last edited by actionhank; 12-14-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm in couch mode right now. The only mode I ever do... Coach mode sounds interesting though.

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Well no matter what type of couch you are, I hope you like it. Because you won't be able to edit what type of couch you are.
That's not true. I heard that they will release a patch a few months after release that allows you to make certain edits to your couch.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
The bigger question is, will every female couch still be referred to with male pronouns by the commentators?

If a game's going to include the option to create female couches, its commentators should at least be able to tell the difference between a boy couch and a girl couch.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-05-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The bigger question is, will every female couch still be referred to with male pronouns by the commentators?

If a game's going to include the option to create female couches, its commentators should at least be able to tell the difference between a boy couch and a girl couch.
Will it be designed GEOMETRICALLY? Will it be a super-soft couch, or a taut couch with no pressure in the middle, a.k.a the neutral zone?

Last edited by AdamJones113; 01-07-2015 at 01:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »