Home

A Somewhat Comprehensive List of Game Play Flaws in NHL 15 for Next Gen Systems.

This is a discussion on A Somewhat Comprehensive List of Game Play Flaws in NHL 15 for Next Gen Systems. within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #9
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: A Somewhat Comprehensive List of Game Play Flaws in NHL 15 for Next Gen Systems.

I love the lost.

Im not sure if this falls under gameplay flaws, but the sound effects are monstrously bad and havent been updated in a while.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A Somewhat Comprehensive List of Game Play Flaws in NHL 15 for Next Gen Systems.

The game play flaws are one thing, I can appreciate difficulty in pleasing everyone. What I find most brutal is the errors with basic numbers and functionality

Retaining Salary in the game does not work for trades
Trade freezes at ridiculous times (ie - approaching July 1)
Not being able to count to 50 contracts properly affecting signing ability
No going over cap in summer

These are not things that should be incorrect in the game
Old 02-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Rookie

I think this is a very good list ( altho, I would recommend you go back and space out the bullets to make reading it a little easier on the eyes)

Im not sure if this was in the list or not, but one of the biggest issues I have had with not only NHL 15, but all the most recent NHL games EA has released in the past several years is the lack of player distinction and skill separation.

I remember how much I enjoyed the earlier 2K Hockey games because each player had such subtle yet distinct attributes, that made them perform differently on the ice....this in turn, made each team have a distinctly different feel and personality as well.

I think the number one issue I have with EA Hockey games is that I just dont feel the player and team variety throughout the league and after a few games it feels like I am employing the same exact strategies and play style to against the CPU game after game.

The lack of individuality and team style, prevents the AI from forcing you to make adjustments and counters to overcome each player and team in the league. You basically can do the same things, to the different players and different teams to beat them. And each game and interaction on the ice starts to feel repetitive and sterile.

Am I alone in this observation?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLaguno

Am I alone in this observation?
No you're not. Even just looking at the team ratings. I think every team is rated between 83-87.

But the strange thing is, the scoring on my team is similar to the scoring spread in real hockey, so there must be some ratings influence there
Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Awesome list! I just bought this game from the PSN Store when it was on sale for $20 a week or two ago and in my limited play, I see the same things as I did last-gen. I'll admit, I'm a casual fan who doesn't understand every nuance of the game that a hardcore fan would, but even I can see the flaws in strategy. Also, hitting is atrocious - where open ice hits are the norm and so embellished.

My Rangers who are built on speed, plays the same as the Bruins who are built on being big and tough...but if you switched their uniforms in the game and didn't give me their names or numbers....I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Finally, the fact (which you already alluded to) that absolutely ANY player can perform ANY move, is ridiculous. This year alone shows you how important the roster makers here at OS were for this series...
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Honestly, players and teams playing differently is one of the biggest missing pieces.

Every single team feels the exact same. Large players don't really feel any different than tiny players. Physical defensemen don't really seem much different from more offensive guys. Goalies all seem the exact same, and I'm honestly not sure if their ratings matter at all, as my backups always play just as terribly as my starters.

There's just no discernible difference in any of the teams. The Blues, Hawks, Kings, Candiens, and Panthers all play the exact same way. Rookies, older veterans, snipers, grinders, it doesn't matter. Everyone's just as likely to score and be scored on.

EA has made a deep hole even deeper with 15. After getting my hopes up with NHL15, I'm not going to hold my breath on 16. It would take a miracle jump in the right direction to save this franchise, and sadly, it looks like EA is only seeing their HUT returns and not their loses from everything else. But, I'd love to be wrong.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
Rookie

Has EA at least confirmed that they have recognized this as something they need to address and improve upon in the next version of NHL Hockey?.....I am a bit tired of playing this game year after year and not seeing the variety in player skills and team personalities

I would also like the ability to play random games from the schedule around the league if I want to from time to time.....sort of like a sandbox Franchise mode option or something like that....So I dont have to play all 82 of my games with just one team. Sometimes I crave the ability to play a random game on the schedule that has 2 powerhouse teams going head to head to take a break from my own team......Why cant we do this like we can do this in other sports games like the Show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 1

Here are my two biggest things:

1. Why can the CPU so easily get the puck on the boards? I'm sitting there trying to get it for 5 seconds while it's bouncing and the CPU zooms in and scoops it up.

2. Why do my guys not break up passes?! The CPU has no problem breaking up my passes but when they pass through traffic it goes through 99% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »