Home

Which do you prefer?

This is a discussion on Which do you prefer? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Which do you prefer?

so when starting a Be a GM obviously the first choice is whoever your favorite team is. But me and my friends talked about this earlier and it seems there are 3 options past that... interested to see which is most common

Option 1

The Rebuild

picking teams like Buffalo or Edmonton and try to build the franchise from the ground up.

Option 2

The Contender

taking teams that are ready to take that next step and win the cup, like Sharks, Lightning, Blues

Option 3

The Dynasty

picking a top team and try to keep them on top as long as possible (Hawks, Kings, etc)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Which do you prefer?

Does it count as a rebuild when you consistently have teams like Edmonton make the playoffs? The rosters are so screwed up that all teams are virtually the same and it's just a coin toss for who makes the playoffs. There is no rebuilding in the game. If you had 2 teams with the exact same players, one could finish last and the other could finish first - and that's not even an exaggeration.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Rookie

I always go for the rebuild in all my sports games. I'll make a few trades and free agent acquisitions to start, then sim the first season (sometimes two) so I can get right to the next offseason(s) of extensive roster turnover. Then I start playing in year two or three.

I can't believe I haven't been whisked into an actual front office position after having brought numerous Stanley Cups to teams like the Oilers, Panthers, and Jets. Not to mention all the Super Bowl rebuilds in Madden.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I've always just played as the Blues primarily, because i get the most enjoyment out of playing as my team.

If i need something fun though, i generally grab a team i like, and try to improve them. Down side to that, is it usually ends up getting absurd with the trades. I try to keep them realistic...but the odds of PK Subban ever getting picked up by Edmonton are probably pretty slim...much to Edmonton's dismay.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Rookie

wpgjets23's Arena

I always play as my fav team (Jets) and trade away all the players I don't like for either the kids of former Jets or random players that I like better...mostly it's sons, brothers, nephews, guys with the same last name and general style of former Jets. Not that they were ever all that successful back in the 80s and 90s, just like seeing Selanne's 8 or 13, Steen's 25, Domi's 20, Doan's 19, Manson's 3, Ashton's 7, Arniel's 11 and Kabibulin's 35in a Jets jersey. I usually draft the same way....currently have Ben Hawerchuk playing in my dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgjets23
...guys with the same last name and general style of former Jets...
This is a nice idea. I tend to adopt your style of management into my Stars Dynasty (like ... Hatcher, ... Zubov, ... Modano and so on)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Rookie

Deezo's Arena

Kind of depends. I normally have two going at the same time, rebuild one and keep one a contender. I try to keep them East/West so I don't get tired of playing the same teams over and over.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Rookie

I'd prefer to take a team & just do a whole new rebuild

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »