Home

NHL GameChangers Event Recap: "You Should Be Excited"

This is a discussion on NHL GameChangers Event Recap: "You Should Be Excited" within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: NHL GameChangers Event Recap: "You Should Be Excited"

They are trying to blame us for a poorly implemented mode.
GM connected needed the option for shorter seasons, custom sliders and faster sims along with a real draft.

Last edited by TDKing; 02-26-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick_McQuick
I cannot stand when they say that GM Connected is not worth our time since not enough people played it. I love the concept I loved off-line be a GM. The reason no one played GM Connected was because it lacked a fantasy draft and a prospect draft that would go round by round. My friends love building teams but were drawn away by the lacking features and incompleteness to the game mode. Please EA I beg you to not leave GM Connected you see how successful similiar features are in games like Madden. It is not the concept that revolted people but it was more so the lacking feature that revolted people.
I think the biggest reason why people didn't play this game mode more is that most people can't handle losing games. Everybody thinks they should win the cup, every season. When they come across better players they just quit.

I ran a league of 30 GMs for six seasons during NHL13/14, and the biggest challenges were:

1) to find 29 GMs who played the game in a sim hockey style, following a set of written rules that limited TOI of players and limited all sorts of cheese to a minimum.

2) replacing said 29 GMs with people who followed the rules and didn't leave the league because of losing to better players.

After two years, I think only 6-8 GMs were originals. Six cups were won by three different players, so the rest stayed in the league because it was run well, and all the games were played like hockey, not EA's arcade hockey.

(I'm fairly certain, that if EASHL will allow private tournaments within the game, this will be the biggest hurdle keeping the tournaments alive.)

I spent an incredible amount of time running that GMC, enforcing rules, recruiting GMs, honing the rules, organizing games etc. But it was worth it, best online gaming mode ever.

Not enough gamers played GMC? Monetize it then you morons, leagues could be like rented servers in Battlefield.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #43
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

I would take anything EA NHL said with a grain of salt especially with hype as my favorite was "good things come to those that wait "and it was a Habs centennial team to name one which was nice but not the greatest thing ever as touted and other goofy stuff most dont care about .

But That being said I would like these few things

Real Faces on all NHL players

Real on Ice team Intros

Presentation with Real 3 stars on the Ice and more Eddie and Doc dialog .

Roster Share

Real Goalie Masks or a Editor

and most important gameplay not dictated by the hitting and Intimidation as the catalyst through a tilted ice factor .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 02-27-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #44
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I hate to sound so negative, but this is the same song and dance we get every season.

What i want this year, just to keep it short, is for them to show me the changes. Not cutesy videos of obviously staged animations and mechanics. I want to see it live. I want to see that sliders actually do something, I want to see the players moving more naturally, without the awkward pivoting, i want to see that defense isn't still just aimless poke check mini-game while waiting for the next huge hit out of the 50+ that game, i want to see goalies make saves they should, with good positioning and not having to resort to a diving desperation save at light speed every 2 saves.

This can get me back as a customer. For NHL15, i only started to get suspicious when EA themselves never addressed things in detail, and never released any actual gameplay. There were teasers, and little trailers showing things off...but never gameplay. Then when gameplay footage did leak, it became pretty apparent to me just why they hadn't released any...nothing looked that changed. The coat of paint was nice and fresh, but the engine was still busted.

I'm giving EA a last shot with NHL16. I want to be proven wrong more than anything on this release. I would love to be sitting on my couch, playing the game, and thinking to myself how foolish it was to doubt that EA could bounce back. Unfortunately, if the past is any indication, I'll just feel foolish for holding out hope. Here's to hoping they're realizing there are more game modes than just HUT that could use a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesizdead
I think the biggest reason why people didn't play this game mode more is that most people can't handle losing games. Everybody thinks they should win the cup, every season. When they come across better players they just quit.

I ran a league of 30 GMs for six seasons during NHL13/14, and the biggest challenges were:

1) to find 29 GMs who played the game in a sim hockey style, following a set of written rules that limited TOI of players and limited all sorts of cheese to a minimum.

2) replacing said 29 GMs with people who followed the rules and didn't leave the league because of losing to better players.

After two years, I think only 6-8 GMs were originals. Six cups were won by three different players, so the rest stayed in the league because it was run well, and all the games were played like hockey, not EA's arcade hockey.

(I'm fairly certain, that if EASHL will allow private tournaments within the game, this will be the biggest hurdle keeping the tournaments alive.)

I spent an incredible amount of time running that GMC, enforcing rules, recruiting GMs, honing the rules, organizing games etc. But it was worth it, best online gaming mode ever.

Not enough gamers played GMC? Monetize it then you morons, leagues could be like rented servers in Battlefield.
I wish i had known about that. It actually sounds like a lot of fun! I always wanted to try GM Connected, but i just assumed it would be like every other time i tried multiplayer, which turned into guys just playing to score goals, not play hockey.

Last edited by actionhank; 02-27-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank

I wish i had known about that. It actually sounds like a lot of fun! I always wanted to try GM Connected, but i just assumed it would be like every other time i tried multiplayer, which turned into guys just playing to score goals, not play hockey.

It was good while it lasted for sure, nothing like random online games. I recorded most of my games and uploaded them to YouTube, other teams watched them in order to scout their future opponents. The league had so much depth compared to any other game modes I've played. One GM spent countless hours improving his team via trades since he wasn't so good with his thumbs, and he managed to raise his game by improving his team.

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #46
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2

it appears that whoever attended this event just got HoneyDict

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »