Home

Follow Up: Team & Player Differentiation

This is a discussion on Follow Up: Team & Player Differentiation within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Follow Up: Team & Player Differentiation

I may not be the most knowledgeable or best person to discuss this particular issue (we'll save the travesty for later), but I think I can put it in words well, as both a roster-maker and a person who plays the game of hockey and EA's hockey a lot.

The margin of difference between teams in NHL 15 is ridiculously small. As people have noted, most teams were rated (we will go from the initial release, aka the beginning of the season) between 83-87. Now, you cannot tell me that the Florida Panthers, proprietors off the first pick in the NHL draft, were a mere 4 points worse than the Los Angeles Kings, proprietors of the Stanley Cup, a world-class goalie and a very deep roster with several stars. The Edmonton Oilers are not 1 point behind the Montreal Canadiens in defense.

Of course, the overall rating is not as important as is portends to be. It's what happens on the ice that counts. Of course, what happens on the ice happens with every single team. The Los Angeles Kings, those royal puck possessors, play very differently from my poor Toronto Maple Leafs. There are too many differences to list, each team is unique in its way, with some similarities between certain teams—but all 30 teams play the same way in NHL 15.

The 1984-esque lack of differentiation is not solely apparent on a macro level. Players themselves are uniform. Zdeno Chara (to continue the comparisons) plays nothing like Erik Karlsson. Phil Kessel (thank goodness) doesn't play the same way as John Scott. But in EA NHL, they play the same. Uniformity runs rampant. Now, it would be a little much (gived EA's track record) to ask for personal tendencies and traits. If they can give the ability to edit that, fantastic. But the uniformity-to-a-T must be fixed. Also, the ratings are basically flat out wrong, as jyoung's video illustrates:

The solution for teams would be to bring back Build Your AI (usable and editable in-season for all 30 teams). Roster makers can use that to separate teams. The problem with programming the separation (I am not against it at all), in my mind, is that down the road in Be A GM teams will have changed and coaches (ostensibly) will have changed and will play in a different style. Still, if programming differentiation is in the books, I am overjoyed.

The solution for players is two-fold. While roster/player editing will need to have an effect no matter what, the best solution would be programming players to play like their player types (they have to be the right player types, too). This would mean Steven Stamkos would be better and more suited to sniping than basically everyone else (I think high ratings ensure he is better and will be more successful, but this way he'd play to them, not play the same as Joe Thornton).

Team and Player differentiation will have an incredibly good impact on the game. Using your favourite team will be so much more rewarding. Players need to play as themselves.

Zdeno Chara is looking forward to truly being able to crush someone without fear of getting levelled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Follow Up: Team & Player Differentiation

Great post. A few things to add:

1. Roster sharing - NHL need to follow suit with a lot of other sports games and implement roster sharing. I want to see if the Revamped Rosters can get as many downloads as Operation Sports Full Minors for The Show.

2. EA's "scout" needs to go. The ratings are an absolute mess and need a complete overhaul. Players simply do not play to their true-to-life strengths because they are not rated as such. They should take a peek at some scouting reports of actually watch a few hockey games.

3. CPU generated rookies in BaGM should be revamped to mimic the revamped player overalls. And let us edit draft classes!

4. Each attribute should mean something and change the way a player plays the game. If it doesn't change anything, then get rid of it. They should add some attributes like forechecking, pass reception ease, and consistency.

5. EA should hire the Revamped Rosters crew.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Great post. A few things to add:

1. Roster sharing - NHL need to follow suit with a lot of other sports games and implement roster sharing. I want to see if the Revamped Rosters can get as many downloads as Operation Sports Full Minors for The Show.

2. EA's "scout" needs to go. The ratings are an absolute mess and need a complete overhaul. Players simply do not play to their true-to-life strengths because they are not rated as such. They should take a peek at some scouting reports of actually watch a few hockey games.

3. CPU generated rookies in BaGM should be revamped to mimic the revamped player overalls. And let us edit draft classes!

4. Each attribute should mean something and change the way a player plays the game. If it doesn't change anything, then get rid of it. They should add some attributes like forechecking, pass reception ease, and consistency.

5. EA should hire the Revamped Rosters crew.

Just skip all of it and do #5. That alone would make the game about 5x better.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
Just skip all of it and do #5. That alone would make the game about 5x better.
No offense to the Revamped crew!!!
They could save the money that they would have to pay each of these guys/gals (just being cautious) and include Simple's number 1. Roster sharing.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
No offense to the Revamped crew!!!
They could save the money that they would have to pay each of these guys/gals (just being cautious) and include Simple's number 1. Roster sharing.
I dunno....them guys did a masterful job with the revamped rosters. But I would certainly take an in-game roster editor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
I dunno....them guys did a masterful job with the revamped rosters. But I would certainly take an in-game roster editor.
Why if we had roster share, we would still get the revamped rosters but they wouldn't be paid a salary for doing it. And we would have to wait to get the rosters, but we can do that.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Why if we had roster share, we would still get the revamped rosters but they wouldn't be paid a salary for doing it. And we would have to wait to get the rosters, but we can do that.
Roster sharing is step 1. Then after they see the number of downloads we get, I wouldn't mind making some cash! But it would probably mean we would have restrictions on what exactly we can do ratings-wise and we wouldn't be able to include the rookies who haven't played a game yet or whatever the rule is. So I'm fine with just the roster sharing!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Rookie

robinson's Arena

Another good thread/very important adjustments EA can make to make videogame better. Have the revamped guys and other crews (faces), custom music, etc. do this stuff and be on the EA payroll (stipend). They didnt have as large of staff as other EA sports videogames, there you go. EA can concentrate on programming/other stuff and just have a basic rating player/team system and let it be fully customizable as an option.

EA can work on the graphics (the ice can be way better/sounds of ice and skating)(way more views of stadium in 1080p (inside and out) and of the crowd in the hallways, press/post game interviews, etc.)(drivable Zambonis every intermission)(get the jerseys 3d like the players faces) work on the programming of the gameplay, to have the hitting (not power) but the checking and limited/way less deking (have as option in a arcade mode). get the checking like your other thread said about checking and position not hitting power, etc.

There needs to be separation between the players and teams. Should be like a range of top5 teams (roster wise) 90-95 and bottom10 teams 70-75. Just like revamped rosters. Yes there all NHL teams but need separation and keep the gameplay competitive (there needs to be a couple levels higher the superstar wo using the cpu diff. slider to mercymode)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »