Home

You Will/Won't Buy NHL 16 If...

This is a discussion on You Will/Won't Buy NHL 16 If... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #65
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: You Will/Won't Buy NHL 16 If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I also wonder how many people didn't play the GM Connected because of how it worked. If I remember right, you had to use default online sliders, and there was a limited amount of what you could customize beforehand. If people could play GM Connected, with total control over everything from sliders, starting rosters, control of multiple teams, season length, etc. I think it would be much more popular.

I found a reddit community starting one up Sunday for NHL14, and went to power up my PS3...but i guess in an act of self preservation, knowing the rage that would unfold if i started playing NHL14 again...it gave me the red light error. It did sound fun with a bunch of people who would play realistically and not just cheese goals and make lop-sided trades.
My buddies and I played a lot of GM Connected on 14 and we'd finish our 4 game block and then have to wait.............................10 15 20 minutes to sim to next block. Ugh.

THEN, we finally finished a season and the sim between seasons was outrageous. I think it was like 6 hours or something crazy.

You can use your own sliders in that mode. We had fun and still play but I have to make sure we have a full block of games so no one is waiting. That is the main reason we stopped playing that mode. Was so slow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #66
Rookie

atbach89's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joock
I will buy NHL 16 if they bring back so many of the features the Series had before the next-gen Launch.

i.E.:
Player customization (Jersey in pants, yes I said that)
Player Editing
Create a Team
Single Season
Tournament Mode (awesome fun with Friends, although a sheet of paper and a crayon will do...)
Chemistry on Lines (mix and match, put some swedes together and watch them work their magic)

On top off all, I'd like to see a "Create your own Goalie Mask, along with a set of tools to create awesome goalie masks (editor like Forza with cars) and make them shareable. Still feels like a bummer to see some of those poorly designed generic Goalie Masks since NHL 08 (for example, Edmonton's 2, Winnipegs 2, Chicago 1 and 2) Just let me do Hillers Darth Vader Mask... a goalies personality is reflected in his mask (see the Hamburglar), give them some love.

I especially would like to have the community downloads system the madden franchises uses.

The attitude for the game has to be "Defense wins Championships".
I believe jersey tucks are no longer permitted in the NHL sadly
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #67
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Yup, its one of those things that they will say no one played, but that is because of the complete half *** effort they put into it in the first place. Players disappearing glitches, no draft, hardly any editable options. And then the biggest problem of them all, the 15 minute advance times was an absolute joke.
Wait, there was no draft? What's the point of trading players for picks without a draft?

I feel like given better options, GM Connected could be awesome. I would love to have people who actually manage and run the teams. Guys who want fast transitional teams would be out trying to pick up smaller guys who would try to skate around/through everyone, while others would be stocking up on bigger guys to wear people down (this is all in the fictional world where rating and attributes have a decent affect on gameplay). If there was a draft (Even a random player one would be better than nothing) with the chance to actually get guys who could possibly help your team next season would be awesome.

Then, if you had the ability to shorten season length down to maybe 30 or 40 games, people could see around the 25 game mark or so if they were going to have a chance (maybe guys who see an easy schedule try to make a playoff push) then everyone could try to trade for players on a deadline day, or sell off their big guys for chances at building up picks. But, with the seasons continuing and the draft being important, there would still be the incentive to look forward at your team.

GM Connected could be awesome, but it would likely require EA to put in at least half of the effort they put into HUT and Facebook updates about HUT teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbach89
I believe jersey tucks are no longer permitted in the NHL sadly
I think that's the official rule, but i don't know that they've really been enforcing it. I don't even know why the hell they made that a rule in the first place. It's so goofy and non-important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
My buddies and I played a lot of GM Connected on 14 and we'd finish our 4 game block and then have to wait.............................10 15 20 minutes to sim to next block. Ugh.

THEN, we finally finished a season and the sim between seasons was outrageous. I think it was like 6 hours or something crazy.

You can use your own sliders in that mode. We had fun and still play but I have to make sure we have a full block of games so no one is waiting. That is the main reason we stopped playing that mode. Was so slow.
That's crazy. I'm glad to hear that you could use your own sliders. A sim oriented GM connected season sounds awesome, assuming EA would actually put the effort into making it work right. A GM connected season that I could manage my team, play games when possible, and shape the team to change to my liking sounds awesome.

Trade deadline would be so intense with 30 actual people trying to better the future of their teams, or make a late season push to get a wildcard spot. The worst part about EA's NHL series is seeing how much potential it has...and how utterly disappointing it's been over the past few years.

Last edited by actionhank; 05-06-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #68
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Wait, there was no draft? What's the point of trading players for picks without a draft?
Fantasy draft***
Old 05-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #69
Rookie

No EASHL, no purchase.

Online Versus - Fun, but not worth a $60 purchase

Single Player GM - Not going to buy a new game every year just for GM mode. It always gets boring to me when you've played 20+ games of it to adjust to new settings and wipe the floor with the CPU every game thereafter

HUT - Tried it out on 15. Its fun when teams are relatively equal (ie the first month). I quickly got bored of it when every game became me vs. super team in which every player is significantly rated better. I might as well be playing Japan verse team Canada.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudicata
No EASHL, no purchase.

Online Versus - Fun, but not worth a $60 purchase

Single Player GM - Not going to buy a new game every year just for GM mode. It always gets boring to me when you've played 20+ games of it to adjust to new settings and wipe the floor with the CPU every game thereafter

HUT - Tried it out on 15. Its fun when teams are relatively equal (ie the first month). I quickly got bored of it when every game became me vs. super team in which every player is significantly rated better. I might as well be playing Japan verse team Canada.
EASHL is used so little and causes so many headaches thatI think EA would be best served if they just canned it. I've never read impressions from people that play that say they actually like the mode. Most people, like me, don't play it because it sucks.

I would love to see them copy some of the stuff from Madden 15's Ultimate Team. there is tons of great solo content, and the season mode is set up to keep you playing evenly matched teams really well.

All I need is that and a decent Season mode. Online Vs. mostly sucks. You find better people to play with in HUT and MUT because people are invested in playing. Online VS. is fill of a bunch of wankers.

But the latest edition of HUT is just terrible. It wasn't bad in 13 and 14, but was actually part of the botched modes when going to next gen.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #71
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavus
EASHL is used so little and causes so many headaches thatI think EA would be best served if they just canned it. I've never read impressions from people that play that say they actually like the mode. Most people, like me, don't play it because it sucks.
LOL, just because this particular forum is all about gm mode and simming, doesn't mean eashl is used "so little".

EASHL is the only reason I, or any of my friends for that matter, even buy the game.

There was an enormous outcry all over the internet when EASHL was left out for a reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #72
Banned

First, leaving EASHL out didn't damage the sales of the game. Second, the SIM and OTP crowd are more vocal than the usually dismissed casual gamers. And third, according to an article here:

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...he-core-gamer/

EASHL and GM Connected make up about 10% of the player base. The caveat the article uses is that those are your committed and vocal users that supposedly evangelize the game, and therefore should be catered to.

I would argue that those groups have never shown themselves to be content, and spend year after year ripping the game, doing exactly the opposite of evangelizing the game.

So, yes, EA would lose 10%, probably less, since many play more than one mode, of their customers, but also rid themselves of the ones that trash the game the most.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »