Home

NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

This is a discussion on NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Operation Sports Is Looking for Folks Who Want to Create Great Videos
WWE 2K21 Needs a True MyGM/Booker Mode
FIFA 20 CONMEBOL Libertadores Impressions: A Missed Opportunity
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #97
Rookie

xxxOpie24xxx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

Considering I haven't played an EASHL game since NHL 13, this is rather exciting news. The idea of having a level playing field and having games determined by actual TEAMWORK and USER-SKILL is almost a dream come true. Will it be perfect? Of course not, but it could be a solid foundation to start with and anything that has the potential of limiting "cheese" is a thumbs up in my book!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #98
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Also factor in that now that EA has all attributes fixed at a number, they will be able to patch glitch goals or adjust sliders to fix any overpowering stat builds. When we had SO many customized players with different builds, it must have been impossible to fix those glitch goals we saw so often in the past 5 years. People always found a build to abuse the A.I. or get an online advantage.

I welcome this new EASHL so much because can you believe that our favorite mode won't have Microtransactions? (WHAT?!?!) I'm sure they will find a way to squeeze in some purchasable skates or helmets. But I never thought they would take boosts out of the game. EA has some heart after all!
For us to believe that we must first buy into the notion that EA would ever update or patch major issues within their game.

Listen, I am not going to cry about it much now because I haven't seen it first-hand or tried the new EASHL yet. But I am stating my concerns now because I fear they might become a reality.

I also liked how the game would play when everyone was on their earliest cards and had to work to score and defend. But take away any kind of incentive for playing the game other than stats and you will end up with just as much cheesing and a faster approach to boredom within the mode.

The old system was lousy, that I believe. I have even pointed out what could be done to perhaps make it better in these forums. But there had to be options to pursue that would have been better than what we are getting now.

And if they are nerfing all the humans attributes to be equal will they finally do so to the CPU players too? Because 65ovr certainly didn't play like a 65ovr for every team. You get those two guys playing club with pro cards and you are in their zone 11 mins to 1 min and outshoot them 27-4 and all of their shots are them just struggling to cross your blue line and tossing anything on net. Then their computer goes beast mode in net, on defense, and offense. They win every icing race, flatten you every time you try and carry it below the circles, and make constant diving saves on you. Then their CPU floats one in from the point in transition while the 2 humans are tapping their sticks for a pass and your CPU goalie is on the wrong post and allows the game winning goal in. Seen that scenario way too many times to believe that EA can make a fair hockey game that is based on hockey knowledge, positioning, user skill, and teamwork.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #99
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey87
If that would be the case, we are talking about very VERY bad programming here...

If we are talking about player attributes like speed, agility etc. I must repeat myself: If editing those would cause any problems, we are talking about unbelievably lousy programming. The amount of players or attributes shouldn't have any effect on stability. Otherwise, I just don't understand how professional programmers would do something that bad.

I simply can't accept that being the reason.
Clearly they had issues porting other modes and features over into 15 with a year off during the first year of the latest gen consoles.

I have no inner knowledge of the situation, but that is my guess as to the reasoning for player editing not being included.

It is not that far fetched. You edit everyone's name to be the same in the game and you get wonky sim results or freezes. You edit everyone's attributes to a certain point and the game doesn't know how to react. They test this game over and over. If and when they find instances that make the user experience poor or show that their is a potential for the game to not behave above a certain standard then they have to scrap things and work on them for future iterations of the game. We, as the users, get mad when it is any other feature but somehow with editing rosters we think that they are just doing it to spite us? That doesn't really add up in my mind, sorry.

Again, not saying that I am right, but I think that if we ever had a real Ask Me Anything where a producer actually sat down and answered all the questions -and answered them truthfully- that my wager would be on this for the real answer.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #100
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
For us to believe that we must first buy into the notion that EA would ever update or patch major issues within their game.

Listen, I am not going to cry about it much now because I haven't seen it first-hand or tried the new EASHL yet. But I am stating my concerns now because I fear they might become a reality.

I also liked how the game would play when everyone was on their earliest cards and had to work to score and defend. But take away any kind of incentive for playing the game other than stats and you will end up with just as much cheesing and a faster approach to boredom within the mode.

The old system was lousy, that I believe. I have even pointed out what could be done to perhaps make it better in these forums. But there had to be options to pursue that would have been better than what we are getting now.

And if they are nerfing all the humans attributes to be equal will they finally do so to the CPU players too? Because 65ovr certainly didn't play like a 65ovr for every team. You get those two guys playing club with pro cards and you are in their zone 11 mins to 1 min and outshoot them 27-4 and all of their shots are them just struggling to cross your blue line and tossing anything on net. Then their computer goes beast mode in net, on defense, and offense. They win every icing race, flatten you every time you try and carry it below the circles, and make constant diving saves on you. Then their CPU floats one in from the point in transition while the 2 humans are tapping their sticks for a pass and your CPU goalie is on the wrong post and allows the game winning goal in. Seen that scenario way too many times to believe that EA can make a fair hockey game that is based on hockey knowledge, positioning, user skill, and teamwork.
Yeah, I think you and I are on the same page, as far as this change is concerned. Could it turn out for the best. Of course. But I think if they really wanted to balance this mode, there were better ways to do it. Eliminating boost slots for one. Fixing the problem with size, where it's supposed to matter but really doesn't, would help. Fixing attributes like discipline, which seems to keep the game from calling obvious penalties, would help.

Honestly they could have fixed things by making some attributes static (speed, acceleration, strength) and only some can be improved. I said it earlier, but Fifa's way would have worked really well.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Clearly they had issues porting other modes and features over into 15 with a year off during the first year of the latest gen consoles.

I have no inner knowledge of the situation, but that is my guess as to the reasoning for player editing not being included.

It is not that far fetched. You edit everyone's name to be the same in the game and you get wonky sim results or freezes. You edit everyone's attributes to a certain point and the game doesn't know how to react. They test this game over and over. If and when they find instances that make the user experience poor or show that their is a potential for the game to not behave above a certain standard then they have to scrap things and work on them for future iterations of the game. We, as the users, get mad when it is any other feature but somehow with editing rosters we think that they are just doing it to spite us? That doesn't really add up in my mind, sorry.

Again, not saying that I am right, but I think that if we ever had a real Ask Me Anything where a producer actually sat down and answered all the questions -and answered them truthfully- that my wager would be on this for the real answer.
It's possible, but wouldn't that mean that they would have issues when editing players for official roster releases?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Eventhough I usually agree with pretty much everything You have written on this forum about the game, now I have to disagree.

Quote:
It is not that far fetched. You edit everyone's name to be the same in the game and you get wonky sim results or freezes.
Name is just one field on the database table, and it has nothing to do with simming or stats or anything else for that matter. It is really just a field on the table, and data on that field gets printed to screen, that's all. Every player has an ID, and all other data (name, attributes, gear...) is linked to that unique ID.

Quote:
You edit everyone's attributes to a certain point and the game doesn't know how to react. They test this game over and over. If and when they find instances that make the user experience poor or show that their is a potential for the game to not behave above a certain standard then they have to scrap things and work on them for future iterations of the game.
"game doesn't know how to react" can't happen by editing player attributes. That would mean that there's not any random factors in the game, and that is not the case I believe. Just by simming two games (cpu vs cpu), You can see that there is some random factors in the game, since the result or the whole gameplay of the second game will not be identical with the previous one. It might be true, that by editing attributes (if we assume that these really have an impact on the game this year) the game can be altered to be something, that EA does not want it to be.

Quote:
We, as the users, get mad when it is any other feature but somehow with editing rosters we think that they are just doing it to spite us? That doesn't really add up in my mind, sorry.
As I have stated above, editing rosters (players) can't damage or break the game. There is already boundaries for the values being used for attributes and all the other things. "They" are not doing it to spite us, but excluding this feature from the game has been done for some other reason than to protect their customers from breaking their game. That I can be 100% sure of.

Quote:
Again, I disagree with this.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #103
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Alright all you guys bashing bigwill for his reason why he thinks that edit player is not in the game, let me ask you a question. Do you think that something as simple as the player choosing their own jersey in a mycareer type mode would cause glitches and problems with the game?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #104
MVP

OVR: 12

If editing players breaks the game why doesn't ea just say so? We would really like to give you guys player editing but we found it causes other issues, when we get them worked out we will add it back into the game. Instead they just ignore everyone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »