Home

NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

This is a discussion on NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #161
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 16: Article Breakdown from EA GameChanger who PLAYED the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME

Well go already as many really enjoy what EA NHL does with their Hockey game especially puck physics , real player control and gameplay thats the staple of any sports video game .
This is true, that many enjoy EA's NHL. But still, the last time I looked on the sales of NHL 15 is dramatically less than the previous years. IMO, that is very telling that much more people are dismayed in the series, even with much improved presentation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #162
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Oohwayy, I believe it was you that said you gave NHL15 a 6.5/10 while the early build of NHL16 is more 9/10.
Is that correct?

Do you still feel confidently that the game took enough leaps forward to constitute a purchase?

I've been feeling kind of burned lately with a lot of the next-gen sports titles.
I personally don't think many of them have made that big leap we normally see when getting new hardware.
A lot of it feels re-hashed and recycled code from the last generation.

That's why I've been thinking of getting a soccer game, or possibly not purchasing any sports games this year. Maybe just go non-sports for a full year to cleanse the pallet.

But I'm a hockey fan so I'm really hoping NHL16 is a big step forward and I can finally feel like I did when I first played NHL07 - that the new game is truly worthy of the next-gen hardware.

Last edited by Money99; 06-08-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #163
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

OVR: 4

As they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Until I at the very least watch a Utube video of gameplay or possibly play a demo....my money stays in my wallet. After playing this game since NHL Hockey for SEGA, I've learned that what some people may love...I may hate or vice versa. I actually finally picked up 15 for XboxOne for about $20 and that was pretty much all it was worth...I never finished my season which is a first. Other than the new broadcast team which was a refreshing change, the game was such a clone of 14 that it rendered it in the worst possible way for a video game. It was boring. Didn't feel too violated by EA this year and will try to do the same with 16 as well.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #164
Rookie

redslumber's Arena

OVR: 0

Agreed. The demo will be a good indicator as to how much improvement there has been.

I can't imagine that the NHL team has a very long leash this year with all the backlash they've received from 15.

Although for some reason, their direction has never been in line with us fans. It's like they purposefully work on opposite features of what people ask for every year. Maybe it's time for a new group of game testers.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #165
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

This year is looking like a no buy for me. With some key things missing it's hard for me to constitute spending another 60+ dollars this year. I might try out a free demo but I really don't plan on buying this year's game. As Diehardfan said, some YouTube footage of actual gameplay would be great to see. I have my doubts that gameplay or the players will play much differently than how it was in NHL 15. I keep thinking that NHL 17 will be the ticket but heck with the way things have gone in recent years I wouldn't surprised if we'll never get to see next gen iterations of the series live up to their full potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #166
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm sure i'll end up getting '16'. But no doubt, the days of pre-ordering are at least over.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #167
Rookie

So this pre-made player build thing could be good for actual LEAGUE PLAY where people could, in the past, put together a team of Legend 3s and dominate, but the old way was perfect for DROP IN games, which is pretty much all I play (Not necessarily by choice. Hard to find a team that stays together and actually plays....) With Drop In games, teams would be a mix of different players with different skill sets. Some players would be Legends, some Amateurs, some Rookies...JUST LIKE A REAL HOCKY GAME! Yeah, your Amateur 2 player may not be that good, but chances are you had a Legend card or two on your team to pass to that could pick up the slack and your opponent had the same. For those of us that play mostly Drop In, this is absolutely horrible. No reason to play whatsoever.

What I'm REALLY curious about with Drop In games is: On top of having to quickly select the position you want before someone else does, do you have to rush to select the player build you want, too?
Will people be fighting and quitting when two+ players select the same build?
Will there even be Drop In? This whole rant could very well have been all for naught....
Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #168
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownWicked
So this pre-made player build thing could be good for actual LEAGUE PLAY where people could, in the past, put together a team of Legend 3s and dominate, but the old way was perfect for DROP IN games, which is pretty much all I play (Not necessarily by choice. Hard to find a team that stays together and actually plays....) With Drop In games, teams would be a mix of different players with different skill sets. Some players would be Legends, some Amateurs, some Rookies...JUST LIKE A REAL HOCKY GAME! Yeah, your Amateur 2 player may not be that good, but chances are you had a Legend card or two on your team to pass to that could pick up the slack and your opponent had the same. For those of us that play mostly Drop In, this is absolutely horrible. No reason to play whatsoever.

What I'm REALLY curious about with Drop In games is: On top of having to quickly select the position you want before someone else does, do you have to rush to select the player build you want, too?
Will people be fighting and quitting when two+ players select the same build?
Will there even be Drop In? This whole rant could very well have been all for naught....
Sorry bro, OTP games are going to be with NHL Pros only, just like in NHL 15. No player classes there.

Yeah, it's probably gonna suck. Finding a good team isn't that hard though, I'm sure you'll find a team!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »