Home

Let's Rate a Goalie #1: Carey Price

This is a discussion on Let's Rate a Goalie #1: Carey Price within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Let's Rate a Goalie #1: Carey Price

Using a crap-ton of data and net charts and shot charts and what have you, I have embarked on a project of rating every attribute for however many goalies I can. Hopefully (lol!) a dev or two will see and and think hey, I could pass this on.

Sources:
Hockey Abstract
Some Kind of Ninja
SB Nation
And others for more minimal checks

Let's get to it.

Carey Price (Montréal Canadiens)

Reflexes (NHL 15 Attribute in bold)

Angles: 90 (90)
Price allowed over thirty goals from below the "home plate" area, but you can't discount the fantastic year he had.

Breakaways: 92 (90)
Looking at shootouts, which is a type of breakaway, Price blew away everyone except Corey Schneider in save percentage, the only goalie to break the .800 mark. That's good for an upgrade in my book.

Five Hole: 92 (91)
I'd up this one point. Only 19/134 of goals Price allowed went five-hole, pretty impressive especially considering his movement style.

Stick Low: 92 (91)
Price only allowed 9 goals low blocker, which would warrant a higher rating, but he allowed 15 goals at pad level stick side (the majority of which were tap-ins). That takes him down a peg in the scheme of things.

Stick High: 90 (89)
He wasn't phenomenal stick side high, but he was still pretty darn good.

Glove Low: 89 (90)
I'm taking him down a peg because of the 14 glove low and 15 pad level goals (again, mainly tap-ins) he allowed.

Glove High: 88 (88)
I think they got this one right. The most goals allowed in one area by Price? Glove high, indeed.

Puck Control

Passing: 87 (86)
Hey, he did have one assist. Yawn. Not much to base this rating on.

Poise: 86 (85)
This one is a bit hard to judge. Price was relatively weak in overtime, but as I mentioned, very strong in shootouts. I upped him one.

Poke Check: 88 (88)
Again, tough for me to quantify. I'll stick with the default rating.

Puck Playing Frequency: 86 (86)
Yawn. Waste of an attribute category, in my opinion.

Rebound Control: 93 (91)
Ah, now we're talking! Price is not only good at swallowing up rebounds, but also directing them into safe areas.

Recover: 91 (90)
This is another tough one. He's got great power, thus allowing him to recover a little better, but the problems that mobility can cause keep him at 91.

Athletic

Aggressiveness: 91 (91)
Seems pretty fair to me.

Agility: 92 (88)
Really? This has to be higher. As mentioned Price is a powerful mover, so I'm not quite sure why this is one of his lower-rated attributes.

Durability: 89 (87)
Yeah, let's rate him only two higher that Pekka Rinne. Not. Price only missed one game last year while playing the 5th most games among goalies.

Endurance: 95 (95)
Not much to quarrel about here.

Speed: 90 (88)
Would be higher, but out-of-crease stuff applies. It's been mentioned to death that he's a great side-to-side mover, so that warrants the upgrade.

Vision: 93 (91)
Here's a cool stat:

"Last season more than 20 percent of goals were scored off low-high plays starting from below the goal line, but that was down to just one percent this season, likely a result of improved defending in the slot and Price's improved tracking in tight."

Let's bump this up.

Long post. Let me know what you guys think and which goalie you would like to see next, if any.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Let's Rate a Goalie #1: Carey Price

This is good stuff. But I think you should wait to do all of this until edit player is put back in. The devs will never consider these (c'mon, they have their "scout"). If we want this amount of time, consideration, and accuracy in ratings, we will have to do it ourselves.

Believe me, I know how much time player ratings takes. I wouldn't want you to waste that amount of time. I had the NHL 15 rosters nearly completed in Excel with individual attributes for almost every NHL player, AHL player, and prospects. And then I found out edit player wasn't in the game. It was a horrible feeling knowing I literally wasted hundreds of hours of my life.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
This is good stuff. But I think you should wait to do all of this until edit player is put back in. The devs will never consider these (c'mon, they have their "scout"). If we want this amount of time, consideration, and accuracy in ratings, we will have to do it ourselves.

Believe me, I know how much time player ratings takes. I wouldn't want you to waste that amount of time. I had the NHL 15 rosters nearly completed in Excel with individual attributes for almost every NHL player, AHL player, and prospects. And then I found out edit player wasn't in the game. It was a horrible feeling knowing I literally wasted hundreds of hours of my life.
! Need I say more! Will be starting this one back up shortly.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

You should add the When plays against Lightning stat of 0

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »