Home

How how how (goalie) ??????

This is a discussion on How how how (goalie) ?????? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How how how (goalie) ??????

I'm just wondering if I truly am just awful at goalie or if there's something going on. Lemme post my last 3 games. Playing in OHL
9-6 L, 17 shots against
4-3 W, 9 shots against
4-2 L, 10 shots against

The ONLY WAY I get scored on are:
Cross creases (seriously there has to be a way to stop this, I get at least 1-2 a game, cannot be stopped)
Rebounds that bounce right on the guys stick
Shots from tops of circle and out, that the goalie does not react to in time (no screens)
Wrap-around where the guy wraps it all the way around to the opposite post
Drive wide off the rush, goalie is slow to get to the post or glitches to the post, and snipe from the bottom right side of the circle, a foot from the side boards and inches from the goal line
My defense cross crease pass right on the stick of an opponent
Guy left wide open on the left hashmark, one time top shelf no chance.

My slider settings are seriously at zero for all the ai shooting, half for "screen effects" and all the way up for user goalie reaction time. My absolute best game was a .858 sv%, I don't know what to do and it is insanely frustrating to shut out an opponent in one period when they get 10 shots, then give up 4 goals on 5 shots next period.
Any tips or tricks I'm missing? I've been looking up a lot of goaltending videos and I just can't make anything work. I've tried using the butterfly more/less, anticipation stick more/less/not at all. It can't start out this hard with all the goalie sliders heavily in my favor, in jrs, and on rookie. Unless I'm just the worst goalie playing the game I guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
Rookie

betweenthepipes's Arena

Re: How how how (goalie) ??????

I have lots of goaltending videos, so check them out if you haven't already.

My tips right here for you -

Stay on your feet to move left or right on a cross crease. You're way faster that way. If you're not getting infront of the puck in time it could be you just have poor reaction time. Try looking for open players so you'll be ready to square up to them if they get the pass (but don't cheat or you'll get sniped).

One way to position your self for a x-crease is to line your glove or blocker up to the top corner of shooters side and be a little deeper in your crease. When the pass is made you'll have less distance to move.

Rebounds can be tough, but you have to be ready for them to happen. Look for open guys and where you are positioned when the shot comes. You should be able to guess what side the rebound will pop out based on that info.

Those are a lot of ways to get scored on seriously, though it just sounds like you need to work on your positioning more.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

I find that playing AI skaters is completely different than playing against human players online. I prefer to be more aggressive against AI skaters because they can snipe a corner whenever they want, mainly when their between the circles. The only exception would probably be the point, especially if there's traffic I can stay in the middle of my crease (depth-wise) still make the save, and this will cut down the distance I need to move against rebounds.

When you give up a goal ask yourself:

- (If there was no pass) Could I have been in better position? Did I leave short side open etc?
- Was he too close for me to be stand-up/ too far for butterfly?

- (If there was a pass) Was my reaction time ok?
- Did I overplay the shot leaving me vulnerable to the pass?
- Is there a way I could have better positioned myself to prepare myself for both the shot AND have an easier time moving for the pass.

Since you're offline feel free to use replay as much as you want to study what happened. I prefer to sim the first 2 periods to give myself a different situation each time plus I think it helps cut down on the rage if your teammates AI failures are spread out over the course of a few games instead of 1 long torturous one.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Rookie

I watched some of both of your videos, paying attention to the positioning piece to it. I've played two games after watching them, and I had both games 0.900+. Thanks to you both!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »