Home

NHL 16 E3 Hands-On Impressions (Quick Look)

This is a discussion on NHL 16 E3 Hands-On Impressions (Quick Look) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #25
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 16 E3 Hands-On Impressions (Quick Look)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhallberg38
There were a few gripes I had with NHL 15. The first one being the lack of focus put into the post goal celebrations. I could care less about controlling the type of celebrations my player performs, but I would rather see more realistic reactions to what is happening on the ice. In reality, when a player scores in an NHL game, it's a big deal nearly every time it happens, unless the goal is scored in a rout. I believe it would add so much more to the realism and atmosphere, if the developers were able to include 3,4 & 5 man goal celebrations that have some contextual meaning. For example, if a game is tied at 1-1 and you score a goal in the final minutes of the game, you should see your on ice teammates swarm you pushing you into the boards, jumping into the pile to celebrate such a climactic finish. This should also hold true if you are winning by 4 goals and score a relatively meaningless goal at the end of the game. There should still be some celebrating, but much more subdued. If FIFA can have 7 + man goal celebrations, why can't NHL?? My other issue I have with NHL 15 is the lack of realism when it comes to the board play. This is not emphasized nearly enough. Games are many times won or lost in real-life, when a team can dominate board play. This would also help in keeping unrealistic shot stats down as well, if there were several times throughout a game where the puck is being battled for along the boards. I really hope that EA follows these forums and takes our comments to heart. I love the NHL series and just want to see it become as close to a simulation as possible.
Honestly, I hate the self controlled animations. I would mind if i got to control where my player headed, because nothing looked weirder than the previous animations where you would score on a fast breakaway and just instantly stop in place and celebrate, while skating into the goalie and not moving.

But, I want goals to have meaning. Are we down by 4? Maybe have the guys kind of gather, but not with much fanfare. Tied up the game in the late 3rd? Have guys lose it, and jump all over each other. Rookie scores his first goal? Have the kid jump into the glass and have everyone else come pat his back. Best of all, won it in Game 7 OT for the Cup finals? Make it huge. I want to see the entire team jump off the bench. Even if it is a handful of canned animations, it would look awesome to not get taken out of the play, but just see the entire team mob the goal scorer, while the opposite team skates off dejected and sad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Caniac94 - Nice catch on that trailer.

I did not notice that until you pointed it out about Cam Ward's goalie mask being authentic. I went back and watched the trailer again and noticed that it appears that there may be a few goalie masks that were able to be licensed, but Corey Crawford and Ben Bishop's mask still appear to be generic. At least from the trailer, that is.

EA might be having an issue with this because of the same issue that the Madden football team had with player tattoos. Hence the reason why they needed to get special licensing to use Colin Kaepernick's tats. I believe the goalie masks are artist rendered/designed and would therefore be considered private property. I guess it is just a little weird that on games like the NBA 2K series, they seem to not have the same issues including tattoos, etc. in their games.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Have more or different cutscenes / celebrations been added?

The overtime goal cutscene where the player falls and gets jumped on gets old fast, especially when that is a very unrealistic celebration for a regular season game.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Caniac94 - Nice catch on that trailer.

I did not notice that until you pointed it out about Cam Ward's goalie mask being authentic. I went back and watched the trailer again and noticed that it appears that there may be a few goalie masks that were able to be licensed, but Corey Crawford and Ben Bishop's mask still appear to be generic. At least from the trailer, that is.

EA might be having an issue with this because of the same issue that the Madden football team had with player tattoos. Hence the reason why they needed to get special licensing to use Colin Kaepernick's tats. I believe the goalie masks are artist rendered/designed and would therefore be considered private property. I guess it is just a little weird that on games like the NBA 2K series, they seem to not have the same issues including tattoos, etc. in their games.
I think Quick had his actual mask added in with one of the updates last year. And you're correct with the licensing issue with the masks. I know the some artists do several goalies, so if they are working on getting more hopefully they can take care of a few at a time.

Also, they updated a few generic ones last year, but it would be nice if they came up with 3 or 4 generic designs for each team instead of two.

Last edited by jboe235; 06-17-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #29
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
This is probably more for the marketing department of the game but I wonder if you could ask them about midnight early release of the game? I know they had them in a lot of major Canadian cites with real NHL stars signing autographs. I was wondering if they will include major hockey hotbeds in the good old USA? Like Boston ,New York Chicago and Detroit just to name a few.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #30
Just started!

OVR: 0
Quote:
bigwill33 - Awesome post !! I agree 100% with everything you said.

I would also like to know if we will ever see the real goalie masks for the star goalies, instead of the generic team logo masks that have been a staple in this series for years now. It would be awesome to have the ability to customize your goalie masks in more depth.
Afterall, most NHL goalies have in some cases 3-4 different mask designs that they switch off depending on home/away games or for the post season. This of course lower priority than the game play suggestions being made, but again would really add to the realism that we all want in this game.
Caniac94, i dont mean to be rude but you obviously do not follow EA NHL whatsoever if you keep asking about goalie masks. For the 100000000 time no they cant get the goalie mask BECAUSE they are licensed by the artist who created them. SO IT WONT HAPPEN!!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #31
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

Where's the gameplay? I mean honestly lots of videos are coming out....except NHL 16...again.

Even Live is showing off gameplay today...NHL better not be hiding again like last year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
Is the United Center in the game? If not, what is being done to show the Chicago Blackhawks some love with the "sights and sounds" around the arena like the other arenas get?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »