Home

The Future of Sports Gaming

This is a discussion on The Future of Sports Gaming within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
The Future of Sports Gaming

https://youtu.be/LcJw8UwBRXk

-$50(US) is most likely a better example to use. The point is that developmental costs could be spread out over the course of a few years that the price can go down for us and developers will still make substantial profits. Plus I can see people getting really angry if EA charges full price if they admit its nothing but tweaks/roster updates (ex. 14 to 15 old gen, lowest sales in years).

- You guys easily convinced me on the HUT aspect not carrying over. GM/BaPro would be interesting though as those are game modes that don't involve money transactions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Future of Sports Gaming

As long as the shell product they begin it all is solid I'm all for it. But IDK that it actually would benefit the companies for a couple reasons

1. It requires all video game companies to be on board. Let's say EA decides to do this with their sports titles. It would make it really easy for a company like 2k to come back into the market and take up a significant amount of market share. Simple marketing campaign based around the fact that you can claim you're the only new NHL game on the market since the competition is really only patching their game. It also makes EA predictable for the competition since you know they are limited on new features when updating a new game. (Even though that's basically what happens now I feel it'd be much harder for a company to "patch in" big game changing features)

2. Even though most of us know the new version of the game tends to be a roster update and a few tweaks, with this system you lose the "new game" feel that you get when it's a yearly release. Consumers like to feel like they have the latest and greatest, and I feel like the mentality around updating older versions of the game people would lose interest because they don't get hyped up for the "new game" year after year
Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Rookie

I see what your saying, and I could be sounding like a complete moron right now, but why can Apple make their OS X something that can be downloaded vs. having to buy a disc or USB drive?

When the newest OSX is made available on the app store, people go bonkers over it. The thought of just leaving my PS4 in rest mode and having FIFA 16/NHL16/Madden download over night is kind of appealing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Stop selling discs and game stores go bye-bye. Even big companies like Walmart and Target sell millions of video games each year. We are a good while away from seeing video games go to all digital releases.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Stop selling discs and game stores go bye-bye. Even big companies like Walmart and Target sell millions of video games each year. We are a good while away from seeing video games go to all digital releases.
Steam was a great thing for PC games. I would love something like that with console titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Steam was a great thing for PC games. I would love something like that with console titles.
Steam is lightyears ahead of PSN or XBL. So much faster and so much more seemless.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Banned

I like this idea, paying for the core game, and if you don't play a certain mode, not having to pay for it.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
This has a good point in it as well. Both Sony and Microsoft have already tried to push digital, but the consumers pushback. Why would I pay $60 for a new game digitally when I can buy a physical copy for $60 and sell it back when I'm done?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »