Home

hockey news article on nhl 16

This is a discussion on hockey news article on nhl 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #25
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: hockey news article on nhl 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
I'm sorry I'm not trying to start a huge argument here but I think the "that's the way capitalism works" is a tired argument. According to vgchartz.com the sales of the NHL series have been in steadily decline since 2011, so obviously they're doing something wrong. We understand they have a business to run, we are their customers and have been voicing our opinions for years. I've heard rammer reference numerous times that they have the ability to see what game modes are being played the most and they base a lot of decisions based on that but i feel like people aren't playing the other modes as much because they're flat and stale, with basically no improvement to A.I. I'm not trying to deny the popularity of EASHL, I'm saying the lack of attention to their core gameplay is a possibility for their steady decline. I have been a fan of the series since about 98 and have stopped buying the last 4 years or so and so have many of my friends. I usually redbox the game or buy it used with the slim hope that the game is different.
My purchase of the game has declined similarly. NHL12, I was bummed with, but still got Day 1. NHL13 I played the demo, thought it was alright, and ended up getting the game a few days after it came out. NHL14 went by for a little while before I picked it up, and was severely disappointed. I stopped playing after about 3 months of sporadic play, and didn't touch it again until the Olympic hype and the Revamped Rosters got me wanting to play. Even then, I played a few frustrating "Olympic Games" in the Tournament mode, and then tried Be a GM, but got bored and frustrated once more and stopped playing.
NHL15 was the first time I've completely skipped, and I was bummed about it. I went from planning to purchase a PS4 just for NHL15 to not wanting to get it until I heard some people's takes on it, to not buying it at all.

The series has slowly gone downhill in my opinion (disclaimer: I'm exclusively offline playing, and prefer realism in the game) and I really hope they can pick it up. My worry is that they don't have the team to get themselves back to where they need to be. I feel like they've fallen so far behind that they may never catch back up, short of a massive overhaul of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
I'm sorry I'm not trying to start a huge argument here but I think the "that's the way capitalism works" is a tired argument. According to vgchartz.com the sales of the NHL series have been in steadily decline since 2011, so obviously they're doing something wrong. We understand they have a business to run, we are their customers and have been voicing our opinions for years. I've heard rammer reference numerous times that they have the ability to see what game modes are being played the most and they base a lot of decisions based on that but i feel like people aren't playing the other modes as much because they're flat and stale, with basically no improvement to A.I. I'm not trying to deny the popularity of EASHL, I'm saying the lack of attention to their core gameplay is a possibility for their steady decline. I have been a fan of the series since about 98 and have stopped buying the last 4 years or so and so have many of my friends. I usually redbox the game or buy it used with the slim hope that the game is different.
Same here, my last EA NHL was in 12. I was right in avoiding 13, 14 and 15. Same old stuff with a new cover (who cares about the cover guy?). Anyhow, the decline of sales started when EA stopped improving their game and when 2k stopped at 2k10. It is hard to believe anything that RAm or any of the EA guys regarding their product, esp. the ability to see what games most people play (how bout those offline)? Plain and simple, give us the cheapest cost of production since there's no point of spending much since people will be buying their NHL since no competition.

EA is busy promoting the Arenas, mascots, atmosphere. Sure it could help a little bit, but look at the promotion of NBA 2K, both offline and online. Their upcoming 2k16 looks amazing due to the features (S.Lee's contribution to MC, in depth of MyGM, MyLeague). SCEA's MLB, the way they improved their game even when MLB 2k is non-existence. I was hoping that EA could give their NHL fans product worth $60, but 16 will tell if its really worth the price.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 2

A lot of offline BeAGM guys in here, longtime customers, who seem to make up a big part of the decline in sales. Guys who are older but still gaming actively, who have moved on to other games - some buying and playing games for sports they don't even watch/care about simply because the games are better than the hockey game. And that's the really sad part - as hockey fans we really don't need the game to be the BEST sports title to keep buying it - it just needs to be good. We're desperate for a reason TO buy the title, we want to buy next gen consoles and play the game BUT EA can't seem to find a way to win us back. It's incredible, really. I'm sitting here with the money for the game, the system, and in my case even the TV, and tomorrow I'm going to go buy The Show for PS3 and a used copy of PES soccer 15... I wanted to buy The Show for PS4 so bad... I'm literally the "Take My Money!" guy - and EA can't roll out ANYTHING to win me back. I dunno... maybe it's b/c I have my own awesome beard that beards alone aren't enough to win back my dollars. I've bought three basketaball games since the last hockey game purchase - and I haven't even watched three real basketball games. Is it even soccer season? But in my FIFA franchise I'm in year ten... le sigh.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 AM   #28
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah as some have mentioned this game hasn't really improved or taken many, if any, great strides to get better. Sure the skating is a little better and some little things have been tuned but for the most part it's still the same underneath the hood. The NHL series is outclassed by other sports titles and it's really disappointing as a big hockey fan. I also hate that I don't get much opportunity to play online and that offline modes are basically my only option. The offline modes have lost their depth.

I was browsing YouTube last week for some videos of NHL 07 because I wanted to see how that game looked compared to recent versions and I also no longer have it. You might never believe it but a lot of the same exact animations and end of game celebrations that were in NHL 07 are still alive and kicking in NHL 15! That's pathetic! I thought the pre-game intros in NHL 07 (and editions before) were sick. We don't even have those anymore. NHL 07 even has three man celebrations! Seeing that again really made me angry and miss the old days of NHL when I simply enjoyed it and enjoyed the game. Also I thought some of the details in 07 were better than recent as well. The gameplay hasn't changed much at all. Maybe the EA NHL series needs a new visionary or some competition. Something so this series can get back to being enjoyable. I hate ranting on about how much I dislike the course this series has taken, I really do, but I want it to be said. EA NHL has gotten very stale and predictable.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 AM   #29
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

OVR: 0

Video I was checking out for anyone wondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGgpM-hdS8M

(EDIT: I guess I don't know how to get it to show up on this post lol)
Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #30
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavner
A lot of offline BeAGM guys in here, longtime customers, who seem to make up a big part of the decline in sales. Guys who are older but still gaming actively, who have moved on to other games - some buying and playing games for sports they don't even watch/care about simply because the games are better than the hockey game. And that's the really sad part - as hockey fans we really don't need the game to be the BEST sports title to keep buying it - it just needs to be good. We're desperate for a reason TO buy the title, we want to buy next gen consoles and play the game BUT EA can't seem to find a way to win us back. It's incredible, really. I'm sitting here with the money for the game, the system, and in my case even the TV, and tomorrow I'm going to go buy The Show for PS3 and a used copy of PES soccer 15... I wanted to buy The Show for PS4 so bad... I'm literally the "Take My Money!" guy - and EA can't roll out ANYTHING to win me back. I dunno... maybe it's b/c I have my own awesome beard that beards alone aren't enough to win back my dollars. I've bought three basketaball games since the last hockey game purchase - and I haven't even watched three real basketball games. Is it even soccer season? But in my FIFA franchise I'm in year ten... le sigh.
Agreed. I've purchased FIFA in the past, and honestly, haven't really watched anything outside of the World Cup. I just like good game. I like challenge, and enjoyable gameplay.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #31
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Agreed. I've purchased FIFA in the past, and honestly, haven't really watched anything outside of the World Cup. I just like good game. I like challenge, and enjoyable gameplay.
I am not an NBA fan (I stopped after Jordan and Bulls reign), but I cannot help but to buy NBA 2k14,15 and 16. Look at the list of improvements in different modes:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ague-mygm.html

IN 15, I tried the myGm for couple of weeks (i am more of myC) and I am impressed! Did you see the improvements that is in 16.

HOW I WISH I CAN BE THIS EXCITED WITH MY FAVORITE SPORT: NHL. Sadly I am not.

Don't tell me because EA's budget for NHL is limited as compared to NBA 2k. Blame in the lack of commitment of EA to produce a respectable game for all NHL fans. It is their fault why there's lack of sales. I know that the market of NHL is far less than NBA, but if EA will produce a game that players deserve, both offline and online, even casual gamers will buy the NHL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #32
Rookie

Diehardfan's Arena

It's the same problem they've had for many years. The fact that there has been some turnover in the game design's personal over the years tell me it's big brother related. It's never a game for adults, its always a kid's game. At first, way back in the day...we didn't care, we were just glad to get a hockey game...but now it's been many years since NHL Hockey hit the streets and it's basically the same thing. I refuse to believe with all they've heard and read that they still push out a kid's game when the majority of the game's buyers are a bit past that stage...these guys aren't stupid...they're doing what they're told. So unless another company jumps up to challenge EA Sports....the only changes will continue to be peripheral.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »