Home

hockey news article on nhl 16

This is a discussion on hockey news article on nhl 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3
hockey news article on nhl 16

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wh...-years-cheers/

With this article i realize that the game will never fix the gameplay or AI. This article makes me think the only thing ea thinks is wrong with their game is the lack of modes. As a solo player I'm very disappointed. I give up

“So our focus last year was really on the gameplay and the presentation, getting that core experience right – because without great gameplay, you don’t have a great game – and then getting to the depth and breadth of the modes."-Sean Ramjagsingh

just ugh. If last years game was them focusing of gameplay and presentation, there is no hope with this game. Presentation got marginally better and gameplay feels near identical to previous years. Here's to hoping a new team takes over or a new company develops a hockey game
Golden State Warriors

Last edited by giantsharks; 07-17-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: hockey news article on nhl 16

good point

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wh...-years-cheers/

With this article i realize that the game will never fix the gameplay or AI. This article makes me think the only thing ea thinks is wrong with their game is the lack of modes. As a solo player I'm very disappointed. I give up

“So our focus last year was really on the gameplay and the presentation, getting that core experience right – because without great gameplay, you don’t have a great game – and then getting to the depth and breadth of the modes."-Sean Ramjagsingh

just ugh. If last years game was them focusing of gameplay and presentation, there is no hope with this game. Presentation got marginally better and gameplay feels near identical to previous years. Here's to hoping a new team takes over or a new company develops a hockey game
Mr. Ram got it correct that "without great gameplay , you don't have a great game". Unfortunately, this does not apply in their product! What gameplay in NHL 15 was he talking about??? Obviously he's too far away from reality.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Caniac94's Arena

OVR: 0

I just laughed and laughed when I read that part about getting the core gameplay right because the gameplay desperately needs help! EA will continue to focus on 1. Graphics, since they know many people will buy for that reason alone, 2. They'll continue to focus on the online game modes, which still doesn't fix gameplay, 3. They'll focus on meaningless things like mascots to distract people from the total lack of gameplay and AI.

I agree with the OP. I just don't see that portion of the game getting fixed if this is how EA sees their game. A game that is solid gameplay wise and that missing game modes was all that hurt them when in fact that's not the case. I play FIFA and I enjoy it. Not because of game modes, not because of graphics, but because of gameplay. I only played a demo of FIFA and I kept coming back. Why? Because I had so much fun and I had to buy it. I don't know much about soccer but that is a truly fun experience IMO.

I know EA NHL have a smaller team and smaller budget but if they actually did get that core gameplay right I'd be happy but it isn't. It doesn't truly represent hockey. I'm just sick of the arcade feel and the glitch goals and the lack of AI.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

The new passing, puck transitions and skating (side steps, holding the blue line, etc.) *IS* gameplay features.

Jesus you guys are depressing. AFAIK the game 1) hasn't been released, 2) the few people that have tried it liked it and are excited and 3) the game isn't done yet.

I'm a software developer. I do this for a living. In fact, I run a (very small) web development company and have 7 employees. So I'm knowledgeable about software development. Huge softwares are ****ing hard to do, and games require huge amounts of code, sweat and brainpower to do.

The NHL team had the mission to recode a brand new, next-gen title, in a year. Using new assets, technique and new hardware to boot. It's such a hard task guys, give them a break. From what we've heard, some of their developers got assigned to other teams too (EA is a corporation, and that's how business work).

But low and behold, within a second year, they almost brought all the features they took 7 or 8 years building (GM connected aside).

That being said, it's a business, so of course they're gonna prioritize bringing back the features that represents most of this franchise's profits and praise (ie., HUT, EASHL).

Then, they have to prioritize what fans ask the most vs. the required effort and decide what "feature" they implement. And, i'm sorry but without knowing all the intricacies of how that huge piece of software is implemented, nobody can judge how hard developing a feature is.

So, that's what Ram has to fight for; attempting to please the old fans and new fans alike; trying to please his bosses and EA's private and public investors; trying to capture new audiences to increase sales; prioritize new features what will appeal the majority of the fans. Etc, etc, etc.

It's a tough job. And the game is only getting better. So please, just give this game a chance if you're a fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

bigdisk i wasnt commenting on the difficulties of programming a game. Also this post isnt about modes, implementing the modes that were missing wasnt the problem that a lot of us have with the game, its the gameplay. This is year 2 on this current gen system and the gameplay they've released looks identical to the game its been the past 6 years. They add a new animation here and there but the game is still about big checks and skating end to end trying to score...Show me these people you say love the new game and show me where it says the gameplay is different, everything I've read about people that play the game says it plays the same. I understand its not easy to make a game, but this is a video game forum, where we talk about the things we like and dont like about the game. i participate in most of these forums, this is the only game i think flat out sucks, i like madden, love the show and nba 2k. I understand ea vancouver might be smaller and all that but if they charge 59.99 for a game the game should be better after all this time, but its not, its been running in place for years.
Golden State Warriors

Last edited by giantsharks; 07-18-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDisk
The new passing, puck transitions and skating (side steps, holding the blue line, etc.) *IS* gameplay features.

Jesus you guys are depressing. AFAIK the game 1) hasn't been released, 2) the few people that have tried it liked it and are excited and 3) the game isn't done yet.

I'm a software developer. I do this for a living. In fact, I run a (very small) web development company and have 7 employees. So I'm knowledgeable about software development. Huge softwares are ****ing hard to do, and games require huge amounts of code, sweat and brainpower to do.

The NHL team had the mission to recode a brand new, next-gen title, in a year. Using new assets, technique and new hardware to boot. It's such a hard task guys, give them a break. From what we've heard, some of their developers got assigned to other teams too (EA is a corporation, and that's how business work).

But low and behold, within a second year, they almost brought all the features they took 7 or 8 years building (GM connected aside).

That being said, it's a business, so of course they're gonna prioritize bringing back the features that represents most of this franchise's profits and praise (ie., HUT, EASHL).

Then, they have to prioritize what fans ask the most vs. the required effort and decide what "feature" they implement. And, i'm sorry but without knowing all the intricacies of how that huge piece of software is implemented, nobody can judge how hard developing a feature is.

So, that's what Ram has to fight for; attempting to please the old fans and new fans alike; trying to please his bosses and EA's private and public investors; trying to capture new audiences to increase sales; prioritize new features what will appeal the majority of the fans. Etc, etc, etc.

It's a tough job. And the game is only getting better. So please, just give this game a chance if you're a fan.
So true!!

I find it hard to read the usual suspects posts on here anyways. The combo of bad grammar, punctuation, and general sentence structure combined with the overuse of the word "sucks".

Until this game is released anything written by anyone who has watched video clips needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Like you have posted most people that have actually played a build of it have posted mostly positive words.

It's plenty fine to be skeptical, EA has certainly earned that. But you can't be making sweeping generalizations on a game that isn't complete nor has been released yet.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDisk

And while I agree with SOME of what you said, I have to disagree with most. The excuses you are using are the same ones we've heard from EA year after year. "Small development time....hard to recode....." We've been hearing this since probably NHL 09. Each year they promise to deliver "ground breaking" gameplay. We are still waiting.

Goalie fatigue? Still waiting.
Making attributes actually matter so the "Carcillos" can't out skate the Crosby's, or Kanes? Still waiting.
Getting rid of the invisible wall behind the goalie? Still waiting.
Having a team play according to their attributes so teams like Team Japan don't play like superstars? Still waiting.

The list is lengthy because it's been growing for years. EA says they listen to the community...so instead of game play last year, we got a hot dog vendor in the crowd. Game play basically played the same as years previous.

It's time EA takes responsibility for their product instead of making excuses.

Last edited by Steven547; 07-18-2015 at 06:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »