Home

NHL 16 New Human Goalie Controls - Layout Pictures

This is a discussion on NHL 16 New Human Goalie Controls - Layout Pictures within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Rookie

betweenthepipes's Arena

OVR: 0
NHL 16 New Human Goalie Controls - Layout Pictures

And a quote from EA Dev Ben Ross on the forums:

Quote:
BetweenthePipes wrote:
I can't say until I play it. I agreed with Yewy at first about mapping R1/RB to hug the right post, but now im not sure. You don't want to hit it while on the left side of the crease and have it warp your goalie across the net. It makes sense to me, though and seems natural. It would just have to be implemented right.

I like R2/RT better than L2/LT tbh. It feels nice to have butterfly and movement mapped to opposite hands.

Ultimately I'd like the option to control what buttons go where, but these look fine.
Great to see discussion going around the controls already. Thought I would add a few comments to help explain a few things around controls and the intention behind them so that you can take them into consideration when interpreting the hands on impressions that have been posted and imagining how it may work for you.

The main reason we have hug post away from butterfly is because there aren't many people that play with two fingers up on their shoulder buttons and we need people to be able to get into VH while in Hug Post. If they were on the same side, you would be forced to use two fingers or go into regular hug post first and then back down into VH rather than straight from butterfly. This also allows for precision in butterfly using opposite hands since we didn't feel you needed precision in hug post.

Overall, we put Core Movement/Positioning on your Left hand and Saves on your Right hand.

You can press the left stick and drop to butterfly to get a traditional butterfly slide keeping that momentum or you can use the Right Stick to stretch out more towards the post on the side you are pressing to. The Right Stick move is more committed but takes away more of the bottom of the net to that side. You won't usually want to move left and right when tracking using the right stick as much as you would use it to make a final committed slide/save attempt but you may use it to quickly get to one side before standing up and squaring back up.

As a note on precision movement vs the t-pushes: Precision is different than it was in the past. In the past, you basically had side steps/strafes and smaller side steps. Now you have more squared up movement, used to track a single player with the puck and t-push movement (non-precision) to move quicker when the puck is moved a greater distance on a pass (it is more committed but gets you there quicker than strafing across). We wanted to give people full control over when they did both as opposed to assuming what movement you wanted based on puck distance in an effort to give more control to the Player.

Goalies should use Precision movement like Defenders use Vision Control. You are squared up tracking a single player until you know you need to pivot and commit using a t-push (which is like pivoting to forward skating on defense to get to the new spot before re-facing up).

The last thing I will add is that when flicking the right stick, it understands the angle of your deflection so it will push at the angle you press (except for straight up and down which are set for paddle down and pokecheck)

- Ben

Last edited by betweenthepipes; 07-21-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Rookie

DustinOverbay's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 16 New Human Goalie Controls - Layout Pictures

The only thing I noticed... I'm almost positive NHL 14 on PS3 had precision movement

Otherwise some good news

NHL- New York Rangers
MLB- New York Yankees
Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 16 New Human Goalie Controls - Layout Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinOverbay
The only thing I noticed... I'm almost positive NHL 14 on PS3 had precision movement
They did, but it was completely useless. You would hold L1 and push LS to it's farthest reaches, and your tendy would take these pathetic baby steps around the ice. You were better off using the entire range of the analog stick and making small movements with only LS to position yourself.

As someone who's played Goalie in EA NHL since the mode was introduced in 08, I am fine with most of these changes. The only major problem I have with the scheme illustrated is the movement of Butterfly. I don't care about "logistics" or groupings that they want to use, after 5-6 years having the 'fly on L2 it would seem ridiculous to change it for something as pointless and inconsequential as "grouping". From a mechanical standpoint, I am far more comfortable quickly flipping between R1 and R2 (because my right hand is my dominant), as opposed to flipping between L1 and L2 as the game seemingly now wants me to do. If this ends up being the accurate scheme, hopefully they allow the user to swap the trigger controls, so that Butterfly is on L2, Precision on R2, and Hug Post on R1. (They can even call it "Full Right Swap" as a cheeky nod to tendy culture).

Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out when the EASHL beta drops next week.

WX

Last edited by Weapon X; 07-23-2015 at 07:48 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »