Home

NHL 16 Beta Goalie Review & Response to LG Post

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Beta Goalie Review & Response to LG Post within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Beta Goalie Review & Response to LG Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenthepipes
Meh, but to rank it behind all of the previous NHLs after a week of play? Ridiculous. It's unfair to even compare an unfinished game to full releases.

I think everyone is forgetting it was a beta. We were literally testing out aspects of the game so that EA can tune it better for full release. We're acting like it's going to be this way at full release.

Did the beta lack creativity? No. I think it brought it out. The realism updates made it so that the same garbage that worked in the last few years doesn't any more. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the beta required users to be more creative with their plays. Top players are going to have to be a little less stubborn this year if they want to be successful and I don't think they like that. The game was not built so the best players from previous years could use their typical plays that relied on bad game mechanics.

Do I agree with him about the animations? Yes. I don't like the automatic crap either, but what's your solution? Input lag will make it next to impossible to get your stick in to a lane manually and in real life you better believe a defender is reaching for a pass that gets fired from one side of the ice to the other.

The passing, I can't speak for him, but if I remember correctly you had to be in a good position to not only pass the puck, but receive it. Good luck catching a rocket on your back hand in real life without bobbling it. Passes aren't always well received in real life. The puck is loose a lot of the time.

If any of those things happen too much they can be tuned down. This is a beta. Once again, it's unfair to compare and rank an unfinished game mode against full releases from the past.

Receiving a hard pass from up close should be bobbled. Receiving a hard pass from a long distance if open should be received. The offense found a passing lane and yet they're being punished by something they can't control. In no way am I arguing realism. Is every pass received perfectly IRL, of course not but its happening way too often for a game. In IRL its clearly human error as to why they bobbled it. Is it the player's fault in a game? No, so why punish them? Skaters also catch edges in real life, should people be randomly falling as well? I'm sure tons of people would 'love' that realism!

It's about rewarding and punishing both sides for what they do and having as much decided by the players as possible. If a passing lane is open and the speed of the pass isn't overboard, then it should be connected. If a defender is in perfect position, it should be picked off or at least deflected (hard pass from a short distance). If a defender is near position (within reach) or facing the wrong direction, it should be up to the user to deflect the pass with a poke check. The game should NOT help players for being 'close enough' and that's the biggest problem. The game is doing too much for the player (good or bad) and that's bad for a competitive atmosphere. You need as much of the game as possible to be decided by players and right now that's not happening. We have to believe that input delay will be better over time. If this is the connection we have to get used to consumers will not be happy.

Passes connecting when their clearly open wont create an arcade style like 15 so long as the distance and speed of the pass is appropriate. Most these animations which hurt the offense AND help the defense (2 different things) make passing in the offensive zone undesirable because an open pass will be missed or bobbled anyway throwing off a team's timing to run set plays.

Basic tweaks like fewer unnecessary bobbles on open passes, and less help from EA won't give that much to the offense. In fact, I think that will even it out to a point where we have the closest balance between offense and defense than we've ever had.

We all know its a beta but that's not going to stop people from voicing what needs fixing. As for his ranking, they're what he believes if the beta stays the same upon release ( I don't agree with them either). That is probably the least important thing in that whole statement as everyone has their own rankings based on what features they liked/disliked for each iteration but that's what got you're attention?

Gets called out on what is clearly a false statement (Ice Javelin) and gets caught covering it up to 'be the voice for competitive players': response 'Meh'. Remember you're also wrongly bashing him for things he never even said.

I say something you disagree with on day 1 of the beta, response "That's Bad Advice" on next video. Safe to say that's a bit uncalled for especially since I was the only vid at the time, considering the agreement.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
Rookie

betweenthepipes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
Gets called out on what is clearly a false statement (Ice Javelin) and gets caught covering it up to 'be the voice for competitive players': response 'Meh'. Remember you're also wrongly bashing him for things he never even said.

I say something you disagree with on day 1 of the beta, response "That's Bad Advice" on next video. Safe to say that's a bit uncalled for especially since I was the only vid at the time, considering the agreement.
I'm not bashing him directly. I probably should have referenced some of the other posts made by different players (Nuge and Dyno) on other platforms.

Uhh I think you might actually be insane. If I'm ever going to reference something you say in your video I will say your name and what video. Once again you might actually be going a bit crazy if you think I was talking about anything you've said in any of your videos.

I know the part of my video you're talking about and if it helps you sleep at night I was telling my viewers I didn't want to give bad advice because it was so early in the beta that I couldn't say for sure. But hey, if you feel like that applied to you than you should look into that.

I direct my videos at my viewers. You literally have nothing to with anything I publish or say on my channel. If you ever do in the future you will know because I'll say your name.

Sleep easy.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I honestly don't see the need to defend the LG forums guy. You can agree with him or not on various issues he brought up.

I don't see why anyone needs to defend his opinion against someone with a differing opinion.

I personally thought he was wrong on a lot of points. The offense has to do work now instead of just being slick on the stick. They have to understand hockey, cycle the puck, and move the goalie to get goals. NHL 15 was a complete arcade fest in that manner, especially being able to force goals through bodies and sticks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Rookie

jmoney2436's Arena

Thanks for the insult. Stay classy.

I must be insane for defending my work.

Intentional or not, I'm not going to let it slide. And if you know what part of the video it is, then you know the double meaning is there and it's not that much of a stretch, especially given the timing. It could easily have been avoided by taking an extra minute with a simple rephrasing or actually saying what you meant to say. I don't think double checking the wording is that difficult.

I understand you never wanted/will never want to collab no matter how much it would benefit the EASHL community. I can read between the lines of the excuses. Whether its because you're too busy, too popular, or given the insult you just gave you just don't like me. I'm ok with that.

I know you'll have a lot of free time in the fall, I won't, I barely have time now. But it would be nice to get multiple perspectives on something from a deemed fellow 'guru'. And to think the overhead camera topic I suggested was turned down, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. I guess it wasn't a bad idea. Good to hear the overhead cam is gaining support.

- I haven't said anything in a long, long, time. So clearly, I must see something wrong to come out of the shadows like this. Letting it slide would set a bad precedent.

- Take an extra minute or two when making your commentary to make sure everything's clear whether its for purposes like this or making tips clearer. Its not an insane thing to do.

- Clearly, I'm the loser douche-bag. How dare I defend my work making sure something like this doesn't happen again! How dare I upvote for you from time to time on reddit, keeping my end of the agreement! How dare I keep your personal twitter private when you accidentally messaged me with it! Yep, I'm a bad guy/*******. Sorry guys. At least you wished me a good nights sleep!

@Madwolf, The problem was he was criticizing Person A when he was actually criticizing points made by Persons B and C (never said by Person A). I don't care whether you agree or disagree but make sure you criticize the correct people. Still unedited btw.

Last edited by jmoney2436; 08-22-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Rookie

betweenthepipes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney2436
Thanks for the insult. Stay classy.

I must be insane for defending my work.

Intentional or not, I'm not going to let it slide. And if you know what part of the video it is, then you know the double meaning is there and it's not that much of a stretch, especially given the timing. It could easily have been avoided by taking an extra minute with a simple rephrasing or actually saying what you meant to say. I don't think double checking the wording is that difficult.

I understand you never wanted/will never want to collab no matter how much it would benefit the EASHL community. I can read between the lines of the excuses. Whether its because you're too busy, too popular, or given the insult you just gave you just don't like me. I'm ok with that.

I know you'll have a lot of free time in the fall, I won't, I barely have time now. But it would be nice to get multiple perspectives on something from a deemed fellow 'guru'. And to think the overhead camera topic I suggested was turned down, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. I guess it wasn't a bad idea. Good to hear the overhead cam is gaining support.

- I haven't said anything in a long, long, time. So clearly, I must see something wrong to come out of the shadows like this. Letting it slide would set a bad precedent.

- Take an extra minute or two when making your commentary to make sure everything's clear whether its for purposes like this or making tips clearer. Its not an insane thing to do.

- Clearly, I'm the loser douche-bag. How dare I defend my work making sure something like this doesn't happen again! How dare I upvote for you from time to time on reddit, keeping my end of the agreement! How dare I keep your personal twitter private when you accidentally messaged me with it! Yep, I'm a bad guy/*******. Sorry guys. At least you wished me a good nights sleep!

@Madwolf, The problem was he was criticizing Person A when he was actually criticizing points made by Persons B and C (never said by Person A). I don't care whether you agree or disagree but make sure you criticize the correct people. Still unedited btw.
I stand by what I said. It was not directed at you or your channel and once again, I will reference you in the future if I ever do. There is no double meaning and I think you're looking into to this waaay too much. Again, it was too early in the beta to say something is set in stone so I didn't want to give bad advice. And sure enough, they gave us a tuner update that changed some things (not much mind you).

I told you I'm willing to think about a collab with you in the future and I told you why I can't do it now. I literally have an hour each week to record audio and that's it. That's a personal problem, so I don't need to go into further detail about that.

I'm all for benefiting the community and I always have been. I have a plan and direction for my channel and I stick to that. Everything I've ever done whether it's for NHL videos or real life I've had a plan and tried to be the least impulsive that I can be. If there's a new idea or a suggestion I take my time to consider how that will fit in with what I want to do. The overhead camera is a great camera, but I don't think that a collab video in the middle of the summer will help that many people, which is why I said we can consider it later. If you aren't happy with what I've said regarding that I can't help you any further.

I take pride in my work, just like you. I make sure everything is as clear as possible. If I want to say something to someone I will say it to them and reference them. If you find my videos unclear maybe I should go back and re-watch some of them and they'll get better in the future.

I don't think you're a loser douche-bag lol. Defend your work all you want, I encourage that. I don't think either of us get the attention we deserve. You act like I don't upvote anything you post on reddit? I support your work just as much as you support mine. We both have similar issues where when we post they get automatically downvoted to oblivion. It has to do with self-promotion and bots.

Yes, I appreciate you keeping my personal twitter private. Don't think I don't appreciate that.

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, however sometimes you do get a little paranoid. I don't trash your work, I don't downvote you on reddit, and just because we haven't collabed yet doesn't mean we can't.

This is definitely not the place to have this conversation either. Like I said before this stuff should be kept in private. We both look like little kids arguing over who's turn it is to use the gameboy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »