Home

NHL 16 Penalties?

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Penalties? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Penalties?

And maybe saw one power play for my team on all star with the cpu penalties maxed, the main penalty one from max and my cpu teammates penalties maxed and the cpu hasn't gotten any penalties really either now that I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 AM   #18
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
No offense but to suggest that the very large majority of guys on this board are not seeing penalties because they don't play the game properly is a tad insulting and flat out ridiculous. Even if your right and your the only one who knows how to draw penalties that would be a huge fail on EAs part. No two people play the same and penalties should be a part of any NHL game period. Wether your a casual gamer who just picked up the game or an expert like yourself, they should be called. It's been a problem for the past few releases and needs to be addressed like they did in Madden, which suffered the same issue for years. The new tuner said it would increase penalties I hope they are right.
Hi Jake you said the same thing last year but nobodys insulting you so read into it any way you want ? As Im just offering help and real results just like I did last year with documented proof of how I play .

You cant deny I proved what I got on near default AS last year playing 8 to 10 minute game on AS and I took alot of heat for and even attacked verbally even after showing box scores , types, screens and even how I drew them frame by frame ? Im sure you remember ?

I find on near default AS you gotta play real hockey in this game to see them and if not you will struggle and I still draw the most by controlling the puck in the cpu zone and making quick turns as the cpu gets frustrated and attacks with trips and slashes and the same thing when the cpu is aggressive in my D zone .

If you like when I have the time I can start a new thread on how to draw penalties in NHL 16 all documented like I did last year if that helps ? But to say theres no penalties or not enough is a falsehood and if your expecting random generated penalties you didnt earn to mimic sim youll probably be disappointed because you gotta play the game to draw them !

Hope this helps

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-16-2015 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add on
Old 09-16-2015, 05:08 AM   #19
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic
The reason there's not enough penalties is that the CPU is programmed to go for the hit rather than try to poke check or stick lift. If they can release a tuner that will cause the CPU to go for the poke check or stick lift more often, we would see a LOT more penalties.
I totally disagree with the bold as I draw most of my penalties in the offensive/defensive zone this way when controlling the puck then when the cpu attacks I do a quick turn and they get slashes and trips .

When I get more time I will post techniques if that helps or just do a search from NHL 15 as drawing them hasnt changed much this year IMO .

Ok heres the link and I think its starts on page 8 but follow it all the way through to the end of the thread as I document it all , not opinion just facts.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...enalties-8.htm

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-16-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

There really shouldn't have to be any necessary style of playing though to get penalties in a game that features a penalty slider.

I do agree that the method of turning quickly when receiving the puck after some concerted pressure in the AI zone is the most effective way to draw slashes or tripping but at the risk of repeating myself, all of the other hockey infractions that used to feature in 11 are now like hen's teeth. That's not right. They're a big part of the real sport.

Even if you play like some many YouTube videos do and unleash a shot on goal as soon as you enter the zone, you'd still see plenty of PPs if the CPU pen slider was set to max in the earlier NHL titles when this simply wasn't a problem.

It IS a problem now and for an unfathomable reason the devs don't want to or cannot undo the changes they've made. It's entirely possible for them to know if the game is between two human players or human versus CPU so I cannot accept that the change was a high level decision to accommodate online needs.

As a development fella myself, I'd genuinely love to know why penalties are such an issue when they did have it nailed in 9, 10 and 11. No one complained then!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #21
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
There really shouldn't have to be any necessary style of playing though to get penalties in a game that features a penalty slider.

I do agree that the method of turning quickly when receiving the puck after some concerted pressure in the AI zone is the most effective way to draw slashes or tripping but at the risk of repeating myself, all of the other hockey infractions that used to feature in 11 are now like hen's teeth. That's not right. They're a big part of the real sport.

Even if you play like some many YouTube videos do and unleash a shot on goal as soon as you enter the zone, you'd still see plenty of PPs if the CPU pen slider was set to max in the earlier NHL titles when this simply wasn't a problem.

It IS a problem now and for an unfathomable reason the devs don't want to or cannot undo the changes they've made. It's entirely possible for them to know if the game is between two human players or human versus CPU so I cannot accept that the change was a high level decision to accommodate online needs.

As a development fella myself, I'd genuinely love to know why penalties are such an issue when they did have it nailed in 9, 10 and 11. No one complained then!
Hi Ill respond to the bold , But thats how you draw penalties in the NHL ? you know when you control the the puck for long periods of time in the Off zone and get the D scrambling and frustrated and same when their over aggressive in the D zone when you have the puck .

Now if your talking about other types of penalties I also showed the variance in the box scores and obviously its not perfect but its also not the problem some have complained about at least not for me .

But many just tweak apart the game before just playing it and then their chasing their tails most of the year looking for some magical sim nirvana that doesnt exist .
Remember if your lowering the game speed , aggression , hit power ect you are then changing the game and what it was programmed to do and Im no einstein on this game but I do know every action has a reaction .

Slider Example : raise goalie skill to max and not only do the goalies react faster but your defenseman also become tons better positionally ect .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 09-16-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #22
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Hi Jake you said the same thing last year but nobodys insulting you so read into it any way you want ? As Im just offering help and real results just like I did last year with documented proof of how I play .

You cant deny I proved what I got on near default AS last year playing 8 to 10 minute game on AS and I took alot of heat for and even attacked verbally even after showing box scores , types, screens and even how I drew them frame by frame ? Im sure you remember ?

I find on near default AS you gotta play real hockey in this game to see them and if not you will struggle and I still draw the most by controlling the puck in the cpu zone and making quick turns as the cpu gets frustrated and attacks with trips and slashes and the same thing when the cpu is aggressive in my D zone .

If you like when I have the time I can start a new thread on how to draw penalties in NHL 16 all documented like I did last year if that helps ? But to say theres no penalties or not enough is a falsehood and if your expecting random generated penalties you didnt earn to mimic sim youll probably be disappointed because you gotta play the game to draw them !

Hope this helps
I agree that if you cycle the puck and control play you have a greater chance to draw penalties....and that is like real hockey no doubt. That said though the argument I, and others have, is that you shouldn't have to ONLY fish for them. This is supposed to represent the NHL. Where are the roughing calls? The boarding calls? The penalties away from the play? Under your theory, while not incorrect, in NHL 16 the only way to get penalties is by puck control and cycling. What about penalties at the other end of the ice. Bottom line is you are right about how to draw more penalties but we are right that penalty AI is flat out broken or poorly implemented. On a side note nobody is looking to attack anyone but you should just be careful in how you get your point across. I may have understood what you meant but some may take it wrong when you suggest they don't play the game properly. 😉 at the end of the day I just hope they fix this. The casual gamer shouldn't need to fish and us NHL fans deserve to see all types if calls made in a real game not just some
Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDIrishRangers78
How do you get the tuner? I haven't seen anything come up and ive been playing the game all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never received it either(PS4) so I went to play online and then backed out and then I was prompted for it. Try this!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I'm an old school 360 guy - so I'm playing the "NHL Legacy" edition, and I'll admit: I'm having a LOT of fun playing it. I tinkered with something last night in my sliders...I'm a hard-core, highest level simulation guy. So know that I don't care for the arcade hockey game, and I also realize this forum is for the Xbox One (though I'm strongly considering purchasing one for myself, as I got our oldest son one last year). But my point:

I turned down the game speed slider to ONE. I then turned up the CPU acceleration slider to MAX, and then turned the human acceleration slider to 5 (one click below max). I had a total of 8 penalties called (8 min. periods). I've seen a high sticking double minor. I have seen the cpu get a 5 minute game misconduct. And there has been a variety.

What I THINK is happening is that with the slower speed the cpu and AI controlled players have to make quicker decisions, and since they aren't skating at warp speed, those decisions can't be made as quickly. Also, for anyone who thinks the skaters are stuck in the sand, with the highest acceleration settings, the players actually move at a really nice skating speed.

I've played the EA NHL series for many years (I still have NHL 2002 for the original xbox in my collection). I'm not saying that I've found the solution, and I don't know how this translates to the Xbox One - but wanted to throw out something I've seen. I'm getting a nice variety and nice amount of penalties - so you guys might give that a go and see what you think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »