Home

NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8
Offline BAP is finally fun again, enjoying it a lot
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Review (PS4/Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21
75 seems like a fair score though. This game is what NHL 15 should have been, and EA should seriously start thinking about doing away with the year development cycles. It's going to happen at some point. They could innovate in this area.
First that is never going to happen. Second, how do you know that it is going to happen? I'm using the numbers posted in this thread, so you have anywhere between 800K and 1.1 million units sold. Now just to make the math easiest, I'm going with a straight $60 price tag on every unit sold. The gross revenue is anywhere between $48M and $66M. How do you explain to your shareholders that they are going to lose out on all of that revenue because you decided to skip one release? It's not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #27
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
First that is never going to happen. Second, how do you know that it is going to happen? I'm using the numbers posted in this thread, so you have anywhere between 800K and 1.1 million units sold. Now just to make the math easiest, I'm going with a straight $60 price tag on every unit sold. The gross revenue is anywhere between $48M and $66M. How do you explain to your shareholders that they are going to lose out on all of that revenue because you decided to skip one release? It's not going to happen anytime soon.
EA has actually brought this up (I'll link to it if I can find the source). I don't know it's going to happen, but I think the industry is realizing it needs to happen. The advent of revenue streams like HUT keep money rolling in year-round. It wouldn't be skipping a release, it would be building out a game over two years - much like Battlefield or CoD but in a shorter timeframe. Then you charge for certain updates (add-ons, expansion packs, game modes) and you potentially stand to make even more money. It allows developers more time to produce a quality product, and the ability to continually fine tune it.

Thinking outside the box, you could turn NHL into a buffet-style game. Pay for the modes you want, or the whole package. I don't know, I'm spitballing here. I think the yearly sports video game culture needs a shake-up. Consumer demands are only increasing with the power of new systems. We're seeing a lot of these yearly release games suffering in quality and or quantity because of it. You want to be an industry leader? You innovate. EA will certainly find ways to monetize the entire process.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21
EA has actually brought this up (I'll link to it if I can find the source). I don't know it's going to happen, but I think the industry is realizing it needs to happen. The advent of revenue streams like HUT keep money rolling in year-round. It wouldn't be skipping a release, it would be building out a game over two years - much like Battlefield or CoD but in a shorter timeframe. Then you charge for certain updates (add-ons, expansion packs, game modes) and you potentially stand to make even more money. It allows developers more time to produce a quality product, and the ability to continually fine tune it.

Thinking outside the box, you could turn NHL into a buffet-style game. Pay for the modes you want, or the whole package. I don't know, I'm spitballing here. I think the yearly sports video game culture needs a shake-up. Consumer demands are only increasing with the power of new systems. We're seeing a lot of these yearly release games suffering in quality and or quantity because of it. You want to be an industry leader? You innovate. EA will certainly find ways to monetize the entire process.
OK then another reason why it won't happen. The NHL, in their licensing deal, with EA probably will not allow it. And that second idea is terrible, and doesn't make sense from EA's point of view. Why would you change an already successful business model to one that probably gets you less money in the long run. Because you can't go out charging $60 for BAGM, Season, HUT, etc. people won't buy it. That's why you tie in the whole thing for $60, 80, etc. and the people that are solely buying the game for BAGM, Season, etc. you are making $60 off of them instead of $15 or $20.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
Staff Writer

Wiggy's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncognitosX
Maybe someone can answer me a question. I was playing this last with a few of my buddies and we couldn't find a way to mix Couch Play with Team Play. We could play Online Verses but could only get me and my couch buddy against my online friend. We couldn't all join up and play against another group of people online. When we tried Team Play we didn't have the option to invite my couch buddy to the game. Anyone know if this is possible?
Couch co-op only works with other local players. So you can play with friends locally against one other person online who also has local friends.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #30
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
OK then another reason why it won't happen. The NHL, in their licensing deal, with EA probably will not allow it. And that second idea is terrible, and doesn't make sense from EA's point of view. Why would you change an already successful business model to one that probably gets you less money in the long run. Because you can't go out charging $60 for BAGM, Season, HUT, etc. people won't buy it. That's why you tie in the whole thing for $60, 80, etc. and the people that are solely buying the game for BAGM, Season, etc. you are making $60 off of them instead of $15 or $20.
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion.

Conversely, you could make $20, $30, $40 off of people who might otherwise not have bought the game. Like I said, it was an idea off the top of my head. If you want to shell out $80 for a game that is just now becoming what it should have been last year at least, rock on.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #31
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Very fair review though the score is a bit low IMO as I Love the game and agree with redsox4evur it wouldnt financially make sense just because a few people want it and theres only so much you can do with modes , so why waste resources on trying to fix what isnt broken .

But heres a few of my ramblings on NHL 16

This game is NHL Hockey for me and it also has the best broadcast and announcers of any sports game and it will just get better especially because of the authenticity of the NHL on NBC .

Now even though they didnt get in every players real face scan its seems they did a great job on matching lesser players pretty closely and it was probably done because of the addition of playoff beards but either way its nice not having a blue eyed Corey Crawford ect .

Penalties have once again been slightly tweaked but Im still getting 6 to 8 combined in 8 to 10 minute periods and all different types so no problem there if you stick to playing real hockey strategy .

Goalies are much improved even when the puck it misdirected the goalie then scrambles flawlessly to recover and hitting is also greatly improved as Kaner mostly bumps off skaters while Seabrook gets more solid hits just like in real hockey .

I also find getting the puck into the offensive zone is alot tougher this year and Im actually forced to dump and chase alot more which is nice .

The Screen navigation is smooth and sleek and I like that most teams have their Horns and goal celebrations song since we cant really do it anymore on the ps4 .

The new help screens and overlays on ice are done quite well and should help non hardcore fans learn the game quickly and I didnt say much on gameplay because I really like how its programmed with just the right amount of sim and player skill to give realistic results and you always feel like your actually playing the game and not just a helpless spectator of a sim result you had no part in.

I give this game a solid 9.0 for a great rebound year and the only cons are selfish wants like all players to have their real faces and goalies to get new mask designs after almost 8 years of the same ones .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #32
Just started!

Ok, I NEED HELP. I have spent hours on the phone with ES Sports and Microsoft.I have downloaded the game and reinstalled it about 6 times all without luck I am trying to re-engage "authentic" game playing wile in pro mode, As I do not want to sit there for the full duration of the penalty and if it was up to me the coach would decide when I return to the ice not me.

If anyone know how to fix this I wouold e greatly appreciative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »